Aceisit said 9 years, 4 months ago:

As a listener it surprises me how many men and women both have been worried because they are not sure if they should remain a virgin or not.
Everything from they are ridiculed to wondering if it is worth it.
STICK TO YOUR BELIEFS!!!
Sex is more than just an act. You have your values so keep up the great work and don’t let yourself down.
Incase your wondering I am divorced and have two wonderful children. So can’t call myself a virgin any more, but I can hold my head up knowing that I value life and other people by not looking for selfish gains.

Bill

Deleted User said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Ye, Bill, give yourself a nice strong pat on the back, you deserve it.

And continue the good work of using people’s insecurities to pass judgement on them and to persuade them into holding on to the same ideas and complexes which make them unhappy and depressed in the first place.

But most of all, nice job exposing what other people have told you anonymously via Vent/Listen chat. You must be so great. As a listener.

I wasn’t going to reply but surly you don’t want people to give up their self respect just to please others. My guess is you were having a bad day and just needed to vent. I hope your day is going better and I wish you well.

Having sex has nothing to do with self-respect. A person doesn’t loose ANY self-respect by having sex. If you believe this “if you give up your virginity you give your self-respect” thing, if you are ashamed of sex – well, that’s your problem, but don’t go around shaming people for their natural behavior.

I understand why you have to feel so defensive. Let’s try it this way. You can have your opinion and I will have mine.
You are jumping to conclusions that are really out there. My hope is you don’t treat people you chat with here like that. They come here looking for help not someone to try to make them believe a certain way.

If you would like to talk about it in a manly manner and be civil I would be willing to chat with you…

I understand why you have to feel so defensive. Let’s try it this way. You can have your opinion and I will have mine.
You are jumping to conclusions that are really out there. My hope is you don’t treat people you chat with here like that. They come here looking for help not someone to try to make them believe a certain way.

If you would like to talk about it in a manly manner and be civil I would be willing to chat with you…

To add a point I only told them to not be ashamed of what they were and to stick to their beliefs. Reading your post I get the impression that you would advise the opposite.
This is really not the place to discuss this but I just don’t want anyone that comes to blahtherapy to receive any type of harmful advice. even from me.

I am not interested in debating anything with you, I’m just telling you that what you’re doing is harmful and uneducated, and that I really wish for you to review your own actions, and think about their consequences.

I am obviously not equipped nor motivated to educate you, so I suggest you read something on human sexuality and/or biology, maybe psychology, before you do this sort of shit to vulnerable people.

Laura said 9 years, 4 months ago:

The title of this topic gives the impression, for me at least, that you’re implying people /should/ remain virgins. If this is true, it really isn’t your place to decide, or encourage. Whatever somebody decides to do, that’s their choice. If they feel they don’t want to remain a virgin, so be it. If they do, fantastic. It isn’t of concern to anyone else, just that person.

Swifting said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Sex can be just a physical act between two people. It can be an awesome exchange and a beautiful outlet for emotions.

We live in this culture where we make sex such a taboo people are literally terrified to want it and as a result it has become a rape culture. Men rape women because they don’t know how to ask. Women claim to be raped because they’re afraid to have a sexual desire.

Yes, being a virgin can be a great thing and it’s good for some people. But it doesn’t mean that virginity is the right choice no matter what.

Laura said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Sorry, Swifting, I strongly disagree with your statement about rape and rape culture. ‘Women claim to be raped because they’re afraid to have a sexual desire’. What? Are you out of your mind? First and foremost, men/boys are susceptible to rape too. Tell me, do they want it? Are they just afraid of sexual desire? Please, reveal to me how you’ve come to this ridiculous conclusion. Do enlighten me, do you think tens and thousands of young girls, young boys, actually /wanted/ to be raped? Rape doesn’t occur because people are ‘afraid of sexual desire’. It’s because people don’t take no for an answer. Your comment just reveals the kind of ignorance that most people have regarding the subject, and exactly why it’s needed. You’re disgusting.

rinseandrep said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Is this a thread about sexuality or a thread about reacting too strongly to things people say? Can people be asked normally what they mean?

I hope @swifting (that has been around enough to have the benefit of the doubt without being called disgusting) and @aceisit calmly explain themselves, specially aceisit since what he wrote has not been elaborated yet.

Now you’ve done it, @swifting, feminists are gonna be after your balls.

Saying there are some women out there who make wrongful rape accusations is like denying Holocaust, man, you’re basically fucked from now on.