Sheepy said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I have it a lot easier than some people: my parents are pretty neutral when it comes to my sexuality. They were surprised when I came out to them, and there was the classic “you’re not asexual, you’re just not ready for sex/ haven’t met the right person/ too young to know yet (I was 14)”, but after I explained to them, they accepted it and carried on. Since then, though, they ask me about certain male classmates that are also the sons of family friends. They ask me what I think of them, if we’ve talked recently, that sort of thing. It just stings a little that they’re still only paying attention to my relationships with male peers. Is my discomfort justified? Should I bother to do anything about it?

Kelcie Miller said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Well, to be honest you should tell them firmly you’ve made up your mind about your sexuality and that it makes you uncomfortable when they do that.

Komorebi said 6 years, 9 months ago:

You say you’re asexual, are you also aromantic? Are you bi/hetero/homoromantic if you are not aromantic? Your family may not be trying to disrespect you but rather are just following the scripts they know to try to show their invested in your life. Maybe try reassuring them that you’re not lonely without a relationships (if that’s true) and tell them about the other aspects of your life that are a focus for you, (school, work, friends, art, whatev) that they can ask you about instead.