Lexi T. said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I’ve gotten more into an androgynous type of style lately. Since doing this, I’ve realized that androgyny is often associated with being a lesbian. How do I still dress the way I want (androgynously) without people getting the wrong idea about my sexuality?

sylph-dancer said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Hi, Lexi. I understand that you don’t want people to assume things about your sexuality based off your appearance.That’s completely understandable, because of course, just because you look or dress a certain way doesn’t automatically mean you are also something else. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to get people to stop doing such things, even though it’s certainly not okay to do so.

The best solution I have for you is to correct them when they make such assumptions and help erase the tendency to form assumptions like these by combating ideas of gender roles. Destroy the idea that only women can wear dresses and makeup, or that men can’t wear pastel colors. Erase the concept of all gay men being feminine and lesbian women being masculine. You deserve to be whoever you want to be, and not pushed into boxes and categories and labels simply because you dress a certain way.