Sam said 10 years, 3 months ago:

A lot of people ask me how they should tell their parents and i am not totally sure.. My father is a psychiatrist so it was extremely different for me..

canoe said 10 years, 3 months ago:

i think its always best just to be honest with your parents, they will respect you so much for being able to realize you need help, and being willing to accept it, my parents found out the hard way, o wish i would have just been honest and flat out told them what was going on

Rain said 10 years, 1 month ago:

This is a hard issue to address. We want to believe we all have loving understanding parents, but what about those whose parents are less understanding?

My own father struggled with understanding. He wasn’t proud of me for reaching out for help, he just saw what i did and asked what was wrong with me. Luckily my mother was the polar opposite, she did everything she could to help me when she could. With her being totally open and honest was the best route, she even went to counseling with me.
I had friends that weren’t so lucky, having neither parent be there for them. Her and I both experienced physical punishment for hurting ourselves (makes sense right? smh).
So to those who want help and are afraid of going to their parents…
I suggest talking to another adult, school nurse/counselor, your family doctor, or a teacher you trust. They may act as a mediator to help your parents understand that you are asking for help, that this is out of your control, and you should not be punished or put down for it.
It would have helped me tremendously to have such an adult to turn to rather than parents always saying, “you’re fine,” or “it’s just a phase,” in my life. I didn’t even have this option.
So for those like me…
If you have older siblings don’t be afraid to turn to them. Try writing a letter to your parents, so you have time to explain everything without interruption.
If all else fails, and like me you end up stuck fighting your battles alone, remember their is a whole community of support in your computer, and that’s enough for you to beat this! You are stronger than you think, i promise you.

Also understand that your parents may be as scared and confused as you. Their baby is hurting themselves and that can be hard to wrap their minds around. They may want to blame themselves. And they may try to stop it by ”punishing” you or taking away yours ”sharps.” Even the slaps across fresh scabs i got were out of love and i know that, so it doesn’t hurt me. So it is as important for you to understand their feelings as it is for them to understand yours. Again this is why a mediator helps, they can help you understand each other.
So anyone who’s stuck like me and needs a mediator or parents/kids that want some insight on what the other is going through, feel free to message me. I will do what i can to shed some light, having been through recovery with the support of my mother. :)