Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I started cutting when I was thirteen. Don’t really know why, there were a lot of things going on at the time and I guess I just couldn’t handle it.

Even though I’ve been in therapy for about a year or so, I still cut. It’s really hard to stop and it’s hard finding a reason to stop, but I’m getting there.

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I just don’t know, I can’t explain why I cut. It’s a habit that I can’t get over. Neurotic and emotion. I’ve started cutting at the age of 14. My family realized what I did to myself. They did talk to me and asked me to stop. Too bad I still cut until today.

Whenever I get angry, upset and I feel like I can’t do anything, I’ll cut. I have a very huge rage towards myself and my surrounding. I can’t help but harm myself.

Alaska said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I started to cut because of two reasons. It felt like i was in control of my life, and because I believed in my heart that I deserved it. I went about 4 months without cutting, and to people who dont do it that seems like nothing, but to cutters it means everything. Recently i relapsed though.

AndiElizabeth said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I cut because I’m fat, ugly, all of the 7 friends I have are popular and I get bullied because people don’t think I deserve friends like them or friends at all. I get bullied for singing. I get bullied for acting. I get bullied for being smart. I (used to)cut because I deserve the pain, I deserve to bleed, I deserve to cry. Me and my friend planned on running away together because we both have horrible families. But then she backed out because she realized there were too many friends she would miss. So I was going to go by myself. I was even half way packed. I told hardly anyone, but the I got ratted out to the counselors. I told them someone was spreading crap, but they still had to call my parents and tell them. I told my parents the same. Then, a few weeks later, I planned on committing suicide that night. I started to slowly stab the knife into my heart. It got to the point where I coud hardly breathe. And then I passed out. But I woke up. I decided I couldn’t live like that, and I went and told y mom the truth. About running away, suicide, cutting, everything. I told my friends the next day, and one of my friends made me give her my blade and gave it to my other friend. He threw it away. I’m still SUPER ticked at him, and I still have the urge to cut. But now I can’t, so i guess I’m a smidgit grateful. But I’m not finished yet. No I am not.

Oli said 10 years, 3 months ago:

You are all strong people who have been through so much, you are all survivors, I’m here for each and every one of you if you need to talk. You are not alone (hugs)

MariahMakesMusic said 10 years, 3 months ago:

It’s quite intresting how I started actaully. it was my first year of middle school (6th grade) and I cant really remember everything but I had horrible self image issues. so bad that i would try starving myself, and all my friends “force” fed me. I even had one of my friends go to the school counsler and tell them im anorexic. (I didnt think I was) anyway, I was sitting in science class and I had a pencil in my hand, and i remember feeling horrible that day, I think it might’ve been because one of my classmates made a mean joke about me, i cant remember. but I remember digging my pencil into my skin. after class I walked up to my best friend and said to her “I think im emo” and I showed her what I did to myself. and i remember her just collapsing to the floor in tears (im so thankful she cared about me so much at the time) the first time I actaully cut myself with a razor, im thinking was 7th grade maybe? I cant really remember why I did it, but all I remember was that I was crying hysterically and I walked over to where my dad keeps his knife and replacement blades, and I took it, and I cut myself.

.Esther. said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I started getting bullied in Kindergarten up until the 8th grade (currently in the 11th) and it was a way for me to release the pain on the inside. I began cutting in the 5th grade, so I’ve been cutting for about 6 years now (my body is a hot mess). I could finally physically show people the pain that i felt. All the built up thoughts of suicide and never ending depression. And I still do it to this day. But I also pinch myself, hair pull (when REALLY frustrated), and eye ball push (rarely).

Anonymous23 said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I started cutting at age 12 I did because of bullying ex friends, and continued though abusive relationships mainly verbal abuse and parents divorcing my dad wasnt around much i had bad social anxiety cause i was treated terrible at school and b y my older brother i have trouble trusting men and i was so hurt that i cut also because of my learning disibility i hit my head when i was little and had seizures and cutting does feel like a release. I have a deep scar in my skin in between where my lungs would be. I have few on my wrists on my thighs basically i just feel like no one understands me and when i try to tell them they still dont understand so i feel so alone but i dont want to have to keep wearing long sleeved shirts all my life either

Erin said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I started cutting when I was 13. It was a way to remind myself that I could still actually feel something. Anything. It went away for a while. I didn’t cut myself for years, then I started tumbling back into the blank pit of depression and it came back. I cut again. I’ve been having more and more suicidal thoughts. Now, I just wanna say I don’t WANT to die. It’s not a thing that I’m trying to do. But I am constantly having these thoughts enter my head. I know how I will do it when the time comes. Yet, I still cut. It’s an addiction. I can’t stop the need inside me.

FrenchFry said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I started cutting in 7th grade. One of my friends did it and I saw people in tv series doing it, so I started doing it for attention. After a while, it just became my way of coping with my feelings. Now, and for the past three years, it’s been to punish myself. I’ve been doing it off and on. I have a lot of little scars on my arms and wrists, but my thighs are just gross. I cut them with a serrated pocket knife, so they’re wide and deep and bleed a lot. The scars they leave are thick and pink, and it’s been over a year since my first really bad one, and it still isn’t completely healed up. A WHOLE YEAR. It’s like I just can’t not do it. It’s a part of me.

AmandaK. said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I started cutting when I was 12 I had a strong argument with my mother (she suffers from bipolar disorder) and she never told me things so hurtful like that, well, for me it was was just a 12 year old girl obviously I was hurt much and so followed every day until it is completely normal rest and then stopped, but all the damage was done, the point is that I still do.

HelpingPerson said 10 years, 2 months ago:

First thing I have to say: people do not cut to “seek attention”, because if they did, they wouldn’t hide the marks. So whoever said that they did, they need to look at things in a logical point of view. People cut because of different psychological reasons. Some might have mental illness, others might want an escape of reality, and some need something in their lives to control.
At the beginning of the seventh grade, my life was a wreck. My father died when I was 10, and my mother was never really in my life. So when my father was alive, to replace my birth mother, I has a step mother and two step sisters. The step mother and eldest step sister used to beat me and my sisters. Which soon led to the downfall of my sanity, and the beginning of a life lived in servere depression and mild anxiety.
I lived with my grandmother, my sisters, my three half brothers, and my vile thoughts. After my father died, I was not… safe. I had not started cutting yet, because I was scared of sharp objects (due to the anxiety) so I lived in dispair and insanity. I was admitted into three mental hospitals in the next year. They all said it was nothing, just grief. So three years later, at the age of 13, I vowed to never be put into one of those places again. Because they never predicted that my insanity would further into the depths of suicidal thoughts and marks on my arms.
The cutting all started because at the beginning of 7th grade, a new girl came to our school. She was a wreck. She cut and she was anorexic. So when I found these things out, me being the mini counselor I was, I tried to befriend her. She told me how amazing it felt. I thought by now I was immune to the grip that insanity could put on people. But I wasn’t. After a week of being friends with this girl, I found myself purging and cutting up my wrists.
That, kids, is why you need to stay away from peer pressure.
After two months of cutting and a few weeks of purging, I saw that honestly, it wasn’t helping. None of my issues were being resolved. If anything, it was adding onto my plate of things to worry about. I was already a Fluoxetine patient, and all it was doing was deepening my suicidal problems.
I also vowed that whenever I met someone who cut, or had an eating disorder, I would not stop trying to help them. Because nobody, underline, nobody, should ever have to hang their head over a toilet bowl, or put a blade to their body. If anyone is having issues with either of these, please do not hesitate to talk to me. Everyone needs to feel loved and needed. So please, please come talk it out with me. I love you, every one of you, and you all need someone to hang on to. Stay strong.

RyanFromRiannon said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I started cutting the winter (beginning of the second semester) of fifth grade. The first time I cut it was because I thought I had the perfect recipe to: My dad was gone, I had no friends, everyone hated me, my family was at war with each other, people were aggravating me so bad that the anger never left, I was a sourpuss, I wanted to be a guy even stronger than ever, I was curious as to what it was like, and I’d heard about it for a long time. At first, I was just pulling a full shaving razor all over my left wrist, then I started breaking all of the pencil sharpeners in my room and cutting with the blade, then I started writing names on my stomach with a blade, and then I started piercing my ears just to put an injury there (as well as my nose eyebrow and lip) and then I started using the kind of razor you use to put in paint-scrapers that my grandma had in the house, and then I stared taking the blades out of the shaving razors and tearing up my side and the right side of my stomach. They werent all that deep but I have most of the scars still and theres still quite a few names and derogatory words on my body and I last /cut/ a few weeks ago but I also now tear my skin off with erasers and pick at the scabs completely instead of cutting but I want to cut even more when I think about it, and right now Im in second semester 7th grade, so its been two years and I have over three hundred scars you can count easily and many many more that have faded. Im supposed to go to counciling but my councelor is lousy and I hate him so… Im turning to this to try and see if ittle be better than once every two and a half months (which, by the way, means ive only been to 2 meetings)

Tiffany said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Honestly, cutting to me was a release, a relief of the pain i was going through. I did it around 18, but not fully until 20. I have been doing it on and off for the past two years, but its gotten to the point where i dont feel it and do it. It helped for the moment, but then that moment would pass. It did make me feel better, but the scars were horrible… but having that satisfaction over and over again was addicting… Self harm is not something to play with, and i am so proud that i have been clean for about three months…hopefully more…

Arasevera said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Self-harm IS NOT just cutting.
It is banging your head until you pass out.
It is punching walls – enough to break bones.
It is gouging holes in your scalp until riverlets of blood flow down your face and neck.
It is hating yourself so much you don’t b/c you don’t feel worth it.
Cutters don’t own this topic. Sorry.