Avocadoor said 7 years, 10 months ago:

none of my family can know. its so stressful, how do i go about this? its so hot outside and i have to wear full length pants.. who else is struggling with this
how have you gone about telling family

Julie said 7 years, 10 months ago:

I didn’t tell my family but they found out because I constantly wore long sleeves. Im going my second summer now in long sleeves, but now I have to wear longs sleeve shirts AND pants, at least last summer I could wear shorts. I don’t feel comfortable wearing short sleeves in my house but everyone is different and I encourage you to tell your parents. Telling them may help you feel better, and you could get help. I hope that you tell them. Maybe try having a friend tell them or a school counselor if your in summer school. I hope all goes well. Sorry I can’t be much of a help. But all I can say is just try and blurt it out to your parents. Go up to them, don’t think about It for to long, and just say it. Once you just blurt it out, you’ve got the hard part done. So just blurt it out and go from there. Good luck.

musicl5 said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Please try to confide in your family. It’s hard, I know it is, but there comes a point where you need them, more than anyone else, to understand. Now, about the scars. Even if you do tell people, I know it can be uncomfortable to have them out there in the open. Until you feel comfortable, here are some tips; so for the beach, there are those swimsuit bottoms that are like short-shorts, that will cover a lot more of your hip then you may think. For ankles, there are tons of shoes that will go high enough to cover a lot; such as high-top converse, if it’s your lower ankle. Scar cream like Bio Oil can help make scars less visible; which can also help you stop; because the constant reminder of whats there is more faded, and can help you get better. You could also consider a tattoo; preferably something positive to help you recover. There are also sweat bands you could wear; they are usually thick. You could make a bunch of thick bracelets, and load them on, as well as anklets. Henna tattoos are very helpful also; they are temporary natural tattoos that you can get done or you can order them online and do it on yourself. They stay on for about two weeks with proper care, or longer. Remember not to put it on top of open wounds though, make sure they’re healed first. Henna is definitely something to research and look into for those scars that can’t really be covered by anything else. Henna can’t really completely cover them, but it definitely makes them pretty hard to see for others looking; especially if you make a pattern that goes in the same way that the scars do. Research about it first though :) , and stay away from Black Henna. Brown henna and stuff only. Henna is also something that can help with stopping when you put it over your scars because you make such a great design on yourself; you wouldn’t want to ruin it, and it masks the scars, which can help you forget sometimes. Stay strong, and really try to confide in some trusted family members. Wishing you all the best!

lalaroux said 7 years, 9 months ago:

Try to find at least one person in your family you can trust. I understand how hard it can be. People in my family are really judgmental; they didn’t really understand why I was doing it and made me feel horrible. It may be difficult at first, but eventually they should understand and try to help you.

If you have to wear long pants, I suggest trying to wear some light leggings. I live in a place where it’s almost always over 100F in the summer, so I understand concern about the heat. Please keep yourself safe, and I hope your family can support you. Just remember to do things when you’re ready.