Alexandra said 8 years, 12 months ago:

Where do you pick? What are your triggers and what do you get out of it?

I know for me personally I’ll pick mostly on my upper arms and legs. It just quiets my mind, I feel like in the moments I’m picking there’s nothing else going on around me. I also tend to do it without realizing it. I can be reading, watching TV, trying to go to sleep when all of a sudden I realize my fingers are busy scratching at my skin. I feel embarrassed when people catch me and say JUST STOP IT. I can’t. It’s a compulsion.

Well just wanted to open up the group with that. Anyone else want to confess?

Debzzz said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I have a really bad habit of pulling my hair out from my head, my eyebrows and eyelashes which started when I was going on 13 and I am now 20.

A lot of the time I also don’t realise I’m doing it but when I do I try to focus and keep myself busy.

Deleted User said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Yeah, sometimes i want to bash my head against the wall, it might seem bizarre to you but i find it attractive somehow, never did it though, why? because i dont like pain, if it didnt hurt that much (i assume) i would do it.

Its such a relief to find other people that do this! For me it’s my lips and the bottom of my feet. And I think I’ve worked out it’s my anxiety at play. I do also cut, but that only started when my depression got bad, whereas I’ve been picking for as long as I can remember. I do my lips almost as a nervous twitch, I don’t notice I’m doing it, and it’s subtle enough I can do it anywhere. My dad used to tell me off for it, which made me more anxious, and I sub-consciously started picking again! He thought I was doing it to wind him up! My feet tends to be when I’m on my own though.

I grind my teeth, bite my lips, and some stuff like that.

I dont feel anxious about it though.

anywhere I can, when someone like a family member or a teacher is having a go at me I often find myself digging my nails into my arms or legs as painfully as I can bear because I get so overwhelmed with this feeling of disappointment and because I don’t feel I’m good enough. I have cut a few times, but nothing too serious, in fact the large scar on my arm wasn’t from cutting. I felt so frustrated and I hated myself so much that I dragged my nails down my arm and it grazed so badly that I couldn’t fully extend my arm for a month (which ended up proving that I am far too comfortable with lying to people close to me).
I like to think I don’t self harm anymore but the truth is I do, I just do it more subtly and have had less reason to recently.

Twitchy said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I used to cut my left wrist almost everyday, and it didn’t really matter where I was but I mostly would cut in my bed room. Though I have managed to stop for the last 5 months I just don’t know how much longer I can fight it. I’m not really sure why I started, all I remember was getting very angry and taking a red pen and drawing on my leg. I felt sick after and I wondered what was wrong with me. Within that month, which was over 4 years ago, I started to cut my wrist.

I started to cut because I wanted to feel the pain that I thought I deserved, I was abused for years and than I was abandoned, everything was okay for 2 years and than I need to feel the pain that used to be the abuse. Than it was because I wanted someone to notice and help me, my family always pushed me to the back of the line because they thought I could “handle” the abandonment, that I was “strong” enough to take care of myself. Than it was because I wanted to die. Now, now I cut because I need to feel something, to feel anything.

As for my triggers, everything is a trigger. Stress, pain, hope, love, talking about it, ignoring it, i can’t seem to get away from it.

MandaMae said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I’m a wolf biter, so I literally bite the skin off of my fingertips to the point where I have messed with the nerves in them.

I’m also a cutter, I used to do it on my forearms till I ran out of room since it’s all scar now and I’m weird and don’t like to cut over scars. So now I do it in my upper thighs.

I’ve always found scars and bruises pretty.

BookWormMafer said 8 years, 10 months ago:

I’m a compulsive scalp picker. Whenever I start to feel the least bit stressed I’m picking at my scalp. Sometimes I do it just to sooth my nerves and it’s a habit I can’t break. Everything gets me going from worries to excitement.

Claymore said 8 years, 10 months ago:

I always did what I call pricking. Any time I was in a stressful situation, I would hopefully have a needle or a pin and would just stab and scratch. I do it on my fingers where the skin was thin. If I didn’t have that I would just scratch. Now I try to bite my nails or tap a pencil, but that doesn’t really have the same affect.

Lovelygirl12 said 8 years, 10 months ago:

i never used to think i had a problem with picking but as i got older it got worse and i noticed it. i do it when im alone and when im feeling stressed it gives me a sense of relief when i pick. till this day nobody has seen me do it and nobody has noticed it i wanna tell somebody but idk how to

Glitter said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I really don’t know what to call what I do. I will just get a rubber band and just slap it against my wrist until I feel enough pain to make me stop. I have never made myself bleed, but I have made the skin up to my elbow red. Why? Just to feel something. Someone saw my arm once and asked what happened and I told them it was a rash. I am to embarrassed to tell anyone.

Phia29 said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I don’t know what else to call what I do except to call it picking. I have has acne since I was about ten maybe eleven and my mom popped them thinking it would help so ever since then that’s what I’ve done. I pick all over my body. I have bad bad acne all over on my legs my back my face my arms. It seems to be everywhere. I seem to pick when I’m bored or when I’m anxious the most. I never realize that I’m doing it either. I have an ex that would catch me all the time and make me stop. I just tend to do it and I feel calmer then I did before. I used to cut I haven’t in probably four months which is good. I have some pretty bad scars from it of my arms that I lie and tell people a cat did it. I can’t tell anyone in my family that I do these things .. Kinda nice to talk about it

Raven_Wings said 8 years, 8 months ago:

I mostly pick on my upper arms. I’ve been doing it since I was really young. A few years ago I escalated to cutting and burning. I don’t do that anymore but I get the urge. I hate that I have so many scars. It’s embarrassing when people ask or comment and I have no good answer. I mostly do it in response to stress or depression. I find a sort of relief in it.

janet said 8 years, 8 months ago:

wow guys, I did not knowt that this was a ‘thing’ until reading an article recently. When anxious I scratch my upper arms – on the phone, in person, alone…then of course I scratch the already affected spots til they bleed, then of course there are scabs to pick – at this point I try and try to stop especially in summer – sleeveless you know – but i’ll even do it in my sleep at this point. My therapist did not even want to discuss or treat it just sent me to an md for cortisone cream (yes, a cheap medicaid shrink). Wow i just never related it to cutting which I’ve never ‘understood’ …guess i do though, eh?