Deleted User said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Does anybody else think that this is often the thing that starts cutting? That sometimes people ease into self-harm this way and it gets more and more serious each time?

Katie said 8 years, 10 months ago:

that’s how i started. people called me names, fat, a bitch, slut, whore, cunt, ugly, ect. i wanted to get away from it. i would lock my myself in my room and get a knife a cut. hoping i would get away from the bullying, even if it was just for a little while. the cutting helped for a while, then people would start noticing, the would call me emo on top of the other names. i became depressed. it affected my school work, my relationship, everything. at one point i couldnt take the pressure i thought everyone had on me. i cut myself so badly i could of died. someone noticed at school and told the principal. she then contacted my mother. my mom came home saw my crying in the corner in my room. she asked me why i did it, the only thing i could say was that it was my escape from the real world.

Deleted User said 8 years, 10 months ago:

I had almost the opposite excuse when I was cutting too, the pain just reassured me that I was, in fact, living because the depression hit me so bad I felt emotionally numb. It was as though pain was the only thing I could feel. I’m glad I managed to stop it before it became worse. How are you doing now (if you don’t mind me asking)?

Deleted User said 8 years, 3 months ago:

For me, cutting and picking went hand in hand. I’d cut deep enough to scab, then pick the scabs over and over again to get more blood/deeper scars. My trich also manifests itself separately of my self-harm urges, but I do compulsively pull on my hair.

I used to cut before but got out of it after realizing I will not hurt myself as a result of other people’s actions. So I started listening to heavy music. It’s soothing; the angry music, that is. Now, when I am really anxious or stressed, I find myself scratching and digging my nails so deep marks are left there for a day or two. It’s a really difficult habit to get completely out of.

I think the two were separate for me. I pick due to anxiety – my lips and feet especially – and i’ve been doing that as long as I can remember.

I didn’t start cutting until I was severely depressed, and to be honest I still couldn’t give you the reason I did it. I just got the urge to, and then it became more and more frequent.

As my depressions got better the cutting has stopped, but I still pick all the time so I don’t really see them as linked, other than I used to pick my cuts’ scabs.