Herbie00 said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Well, I don’t really pick or scratch at all, but I do gnaw on my skin sometimes… I used to cut, but I haven’t for a while. now I’m at the point where I will sit and start chewing on the side of my finger until it’s almost too tender to touch. Yes, I know this is different, but I am really hoping I’m not alone…

ekalj said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I pick and bite the skin on my fingers til they bleed. Then it scabs over and I end up picking the scab. The tips of my fingers are always pink and irritated and I hate it, but can’t stop. I’ve read that it could possibly be linked with anxiety and OCD.

needle said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I do this all the time to some extent, unfortunately. You’re not alone.

I usually walk around rubbing my fingers together or scratching/squeezing my hands. I bite/chew my fingers a lot too, especially when stressed. I go through periods where my hands and fingers are pretty bruised because I don’t realize how hard I’m chewing or squeezing.

Keeping my hands busy with some nicely textured stress ball or similar helps a lot, I’ve found.

Deleted User said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hi,
I’ve been doing this for a few years – you’re not alone :)
The skin on your fingers is incredibly sensitive so I hope this will help you to stop…
If you can hold off for three weeks, it will become much easier as they say it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit. Try painting your nails and doing something fancy with them – I find this stops me from wanting to ruin them! Or like mentioned above – get a stress ball or something to distract yourself with. Knitting/Sewing/Scooby Doo’s – anything that involves keeping your fingers busy.

tieriarosewell said 9 years, 7 months ago:

You’re not alone. When I’m in a situation where I can’t reallycut I bite my hands and arms and pick at my legs. Even biting my lip till it bleeds.

thatonegirl said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I use to cut to, but instead of slicing I used dull items to scratch and dig. I do it speratically every couple of months. I’ve noticed especially in the fall and winter. My moods swings are always crazy this time of year, and I tend to cut more at this time.
I also gnaw on my lip but it’s never bled. It’s just permanently swollen. When you look at me the skin underneath the right side of my bottom lip is puffy (it’s my left side). I try to stop by putting Carmex on because it tastes nasty, but I go back and forth from this to scathing the bottom of my arms at the ridge of bone where your normal skin and your inevitably pale skin meet.

Dillen Corlett said 9 years, 6 months ago:

i used to scratch my skin until layers would come off, and i chew the inside of my cheeks… idk it’s kind of similar? but it looks like you’re not alone.

ihavefeelingstoo said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I have little pimples on my arms. I pick at them constantly and I don’t know if it counts as anything more than a nervous habit. I never wanted scars so scratching was my thing to do.

Deleted User said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Other than cutting, I also have tendency to bite the skin of my fingers. They bleed and they’re becoming very sensitive and irritated. And I gnaw on my lips too. We’re almost alike so you’re not alone.

sarah-the-crohnie said 9 years, 6 months ago:

i peel the skin off my lips with my teeth constantly. ahah also used to cut dont any more though. Something i bite them really hard to i taste blood. idk lmfao

lisy said 9 years, 6 months ago:

umm, recently ive been cutting badly . allot of the time…
i used to pull twist and yank out my hair from the bottem of my head, just above my neck… i know its partly to do with my anxiety but i ended up doing it to hurt myself after an argument with my ex or my mum,
it got so bad i couldnt tie my hair up and it became thinner and thinner