NicNac said 10 years, 2 months ago:

We all may feel down at least once in our lives. Some of us use music to maybe put us in a better mood or find a common ground.

I guess I’ll start:
I listen to music to find that common ground.
Usually the music is slow and soft.
I’m a southern guy, so country songs are at the top of my list.
Songs such as “Saving Amy” by Brantley Gilbert, “I Found Someone” by Blake Shelton, and “Drink a Beer”, “Play it Again” by Luke Bryan are common for me. I also listen to non-country music like “One Wish” by Ray-J and “Can’t Smile Without You” by Barry Manilow.

Just to name a few. I don’t listen to these songs to make myself feel more down or things like that, but they kind of make me realize that I’m not alone in this world.
So! When you’re feeling down, what do you listen to?

Swifting said 10 years, 2 months ago:

It depends on why I’m at my lowest; but I generally go for something that I know. Familiarity breeds comfort after all, right?

Maroon 5 is generally my favorite for anything. But, I raid the husband’s music collection and whatever moves me is going on.

Deleted User said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I keep a playlist where every song corresponds to a particular situation that makes me feel bad.

For instance, I play Kelly Clarkson’s You Can’t Win for those times when I try so hard to make a good impression and to please other people that I tend to lose my sense of self along the way.

I also like listening to Mariah Carey’s Can’t Take That Away when I feel hopeless about a particular situation.

But my favorite would be Corrinne May songs, such as Beautiful Seed, Everything in its Time, and Let it Go.

Jelly said 10 years, 2 months ago:

ever heard about jorge mendez? He is awesome and makes such great soulful music. I recently found out about him… and all i listen to now are his music.
you need to check him out, i am sure anybody would love his music!

punky said 10 years, 2 months ago:

If I want to cheer up I need something to rock out to. Hard and fast is best.
I really like “Black Betty” by Ram Jam because it is impossible to not smile singing along. “Pour Some Sugar On Me” by Def Leppard is another good one. “Urgent”, “Hot Blooded”, and “Jukebox Hero” by Foreigner are all good as well. Billy Idol has a bunch of songs that are great, and I also like “Heartbreaker” by Pat Benatar.
Like I said, hard and fast. I throw my whole body into it-head bobbing, foot and finger tapping, and (of course) belting it out. It’s very therapeutic.

NicNac said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I’ve heard of Jorge Mendez– very good singer. I grew up listening to Ram Jam, Def Leppard, and Billy Idol! :) Brings back some good memories! I miss being a kid. Haha.

julie said 10 years, 2 months ago:

it depends on what emotions i’m feeling, really. sometimes i want music to comfort me, something relatable. other times i want to listen to something empowering and bold to motivate myself.
i guess i’ll take this as an opportunity to list albums i like to listen to when feeling certain emotions?
– “tidal” by fiona apple (alternative rock/jazz fusion) covers feelings of anger, sadness, resentment- very moody , even aggressive at times- empowering in my opinion!

– dismemberment plan’s (prog rock/emo) “emergency & i”. the lyrics are straight forward, emotional; the drumming especially brings the album together, i think.

– mountain goats’ (folk rock) “all eternals deck.” hard to define, but the singer’s lyrics and the simplicity of instruments used are really comforting. he sings of his own experiences and weaves them into interesting narratives.

– beck’s (alternative rock) “sea change.” really emotional and covers themes of loss, especially regarding romantic relationships. hands down one of the best albums i’ve ever heard.

Well I listen to Justin bieber when I’m sick….sike I actually seem to go to coldplay the song “fix you” and “the scientists” those songs always seem to give me hope also snow patrol “chasing cars” another song that I relax to and the verge “bittersweet sympathy” always makesmee feel this idgaf attitude witch can be good sometimes

twistoffate said 10 years, 2 months ago:

it really depends on the emotions and the circumstances but i usually listen to soul rnb, slow rock or love songs.

Seeker of the light said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I usually listen to those really calm songs with beautiful vocals or beautiful guitar or bass pieces for example, so I can concentrate on that.

I like listening to The Beatles when I feel down because the songs are simple, soft (well a good selection of them) and the lyrics are usually either positive, up-looking or about a random story. Also:
Pearly Dewdrops’ Drops – The Cocteau Twins (a very calming song with beautiful instrumentals in my opinion)
Heroes – David Bowie
No One’s Gonna Love You – Band Of Horses
Between The Bars- Elliot Smith

If I really just want to cry and bawl it all out, I listen to emotional and sad songs, like Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd, Real Love- Beach house, Oh Freedom – Golden Gospel Singers, Sissy and the Silent Kid – The Magic Numbers.

And so on and so on…

shan said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I make playlists for different emotions, I have one called “For when you can’t feel anything” with a combination of sad songs and feel-good songs
here’s the playlist for anyone who wants to re-create it:
1. Terrified – Among Savages
2. Battery Kinzie – Fleet Foxes
3. Lost In My Mind – The Head and the Heart
4. We Are Free – The Mowgli’s
5. Serpents – Sharon Van Etten
6. Black Water Falls – The War On Drugs
7. Dark Into Light – AM & Shawn Lee
8. Lose It – Austra
9. Don’t Let Them See You Cry – Manchester Orchestra
10. Who Am I – Casting Crowns
11. Be OK – Ingrid Michaelson
12. Awake My Soul – Mumford & Sons
13. Fire – Jesse Thomas
14. Lighthouse – Patrick Watson
15. Can’t Go Home – Good Old War
16. Landfill – Daughter
17. Worlds Are Made of Paper – Ben Taylor
18. Soften the Blows – Lisa Marie Presley
19. Oh Louise – Korey Dane
20. Come Back Down – Greg Laswell ft Sara Bareilles

†☯Ridacy☯† said 10 years, 2 months ago:

When I feel down (yes this is a bit weird) but I have a soundtrack of upbeat, happy songs (or dubstep) I dunno, it puts me in a better mood.

Niko said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I usually listen to instrumental versions of popular songs. There not being any words allows me to input my own feelings and thoughts while I listen.

If I’m having a “I need to cry” kind of moment then its:
City and Colour – Sensible Heart
Sia – Breathe me

If I’m having a reflective blues kind of moment then it’s:
Demon Hunter – Deteriorate
Nick Cave – O Children
Citizen Cope – Let The Drummer Kick

If I need a pick me up song then it’s:
The Wonder Years – The Living Room Song (the chorus seems to make me smile when I really need to haha)

Deleted User said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Really depends on what I’m feeling; I listen to what I can most relate to at the moment. I guess I could name a few, though.

EXEC_FLIP_FUSIONSPHERE/. – Haruka Shimotsuki
It’s more bittersweet than anything, but due to my synesthesia, I see it as more “blue”, both literally and figuratively, than it is.

Shallott – Emilie Autumn
Deals with feelings of being trapped and helpless to change your situation, which is kind of a running theme in my life.

EXEC_over.METHOD_SUBLIMATION/.~ee wassa sos yehar – Akiko Shikata
My anger song. Blinding, near-homicidal rage, to be specific, which is the type of anger I most commonly feel. (Don’t get the wrong idea about me, though. I’m that sort of person who is beyond mellow and passive until someone shoves me past my breaking point.)

306 – Emilie Autumn
It’s a song about suicide. What more can I say?

A Little Place Called Trust – the pAper chAse
Betrayal and wanting the person you hurt you to get what they deserve.

Bury the Tooth of the Hydra and a Skeleton Army Will Arise – Schoolyard Heroes
I’ve always identified with this song after I’ve fought someone and hurt them, know I’m in the wrong, and just want to be forgiven and move on.

EXEC_CHRONICLE=KEY/.#Seren extracting – Trass
It holds no special meaning, really. It’s just a really nice and soothing song.