Girl with a Secret said 10 years, 8 months ago:

The Spill Canvas really helped me through my depression and everything, especially their song ‘Self Conclusion’

Samm said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I listened to a band called MIKA. Most of their songs make me feel better because of the relatable messages they send.

Also, there is one other band called Detektivbyran that has experimental and instrumental music that made me feel…like I was somewhere else when I played it. It created a nice escape while I was dealing with bullying and depression in middle school.

Jici said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Simple Plan with “Pefect” and “Welcome to my life”. Avril Lavigne and her “Nobody’s home.”

Julie said 10 years, 6 months ago:

for me, that band was my chemical romance. I know they don’t like to take credit for helping kids, but they did. ever since I discovered them since I was in grade school, they’ve just been “that band” for me. to remind myself that they’re always there for me, I got a tattoo “Stay Beautiful, Keep It Ugly” in reference to when Gerard made that beautiful quote! even though they broke up, there music will always be there, for me, you, and anyone else who needs it! i’m so grateful for them! <3

Deleted User said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Above and Beyond – Group therapy!!

Mcwagger said 10 years, 6 months ago:

The wonder years help me out a lot actually, it was nice to hear them sing about things that i was going through and it helped me feel not so alone and Dont let me cave was my high school anthem lol

Emily said 10 years, 6 months ago:

The ones that have helped me the most are “The World Survives” and “From Far Away” by Katie Gray. They essentially have the same words (though not exactly).

The part that helps me the most is:

“at night I find it hard
to rest my head and fall asleep
’cause death is telling me
that I could leave here
but long ago i made a pact
and I intend to keep it
as long as i am breathing
I’ll keep on trying”

It was also comforting because she repeats the lines “from far away it’s amazing, and from far away it’s turning, and from far away it survives, the world survives”. I guess I find it comforting that the world will continue to go on no matter how I’m feeling… because that means there’s always the potential to feel good again.

I also like “Whisper” by A Fine Frenzy, “Ain’t No Reason” by Brett Dennen, “Be OK” by Ingrid Michaelson, and “One Fine Wire” by Colbie Calliat. They all remind me that the world isn’t perfect, that other people go through the same things, and that I can make it through. When I’m feeling a little better I like “It Stops Today” by Colbie Calliat, “Fuck You” by Lily Allen, and pretty much anything by P!nk. There’s other that I can’t remember too :)

sincerity said 10 years, 6 months ago:

For me it was the script and the fray and coldplay. Just beautiful music with important messages.
My best friend was saved from drug addiction by eric prydz and lana del ray – both beautiful and amazing artists.

methmatics said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Honestly, there are really no songs that saved my life but when I listen to music, I feel relaxed. I’m usually always stressed out because of school or family problems, but I could just listen to Lana Del Ray or Nirvana or something and I would forget about all that bullshit.

Rachel said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Definitely ‘Linkin Park – Numb’
It made me feel like I’m not the only one suffering:

I’m tired of being what you want me to be
Feeling so faithless, lost under the surface,
Don’t know what you’re expecting of me
Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes

Caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow
Every step that I take is another mistake to you
Caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow

I’ve become so numb
I can’t feel you there
I’ve become so tired,
So much more aware
I’m becoming this
All I want to do,
Is be more like me,
And be less like you

Can’t you see that you’re smothering me?
Holding too tightly, afraid to lose control
‘Cause everything that you thought I would be,
Has fallen apart right in front of you

Deleted User said 10 years, 6 months ago:

A CD that actually really helped me through a rough time was Electra Heart by Marina and the Diamonds it was really good at helping me realise that the person who i’d previously idolised in our relationship wasn’t all that they were cracked up to be and in reality were drowning me as well as them-self
“Give a little, get a lot,
That’s just how you are with love.
Give a little, get a lot,
Yeah, you may be good looking,
But you’re not a piece of art.” – Power and Control

“You’re never gonna love me, so what’s the use?
What’s the point in playing a game you’re gonna lose?
What’s the point in saying you love me like a friend?
What’s the point in saying it’s never gonna end?

You’re too proud to say that you’ve made a mistake
You’re a coward to the end
I don’t wanna admit that we’re not gonna fit
No, I’m not the type that you like
Why don’t we just pretend?” – Lies

“I’ve turned into a statue
and it makes me feel depressed
’cause the only time you open up is when we get undressed.
You don’t love me, big fucking deal” – Starring Role

The album also has some really good getting over someone songs too. How to be a Heartbreaker is a personal favourite

Valeska said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Pretty much for me, anything by Coldplay really makes me feel better. When I was going through a lot, Death and all his friends, was the album I found myself drawn too a lot. I don’t quite know why. I also love Bittersweet Symphony!

Exia said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Many songs have, for various reasons. There’s:

U2-Stuck In a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
Electric Light Orchestra- Tightrope
Oingo Boingo- We Close Our Eyes
blink-182- Adam’s Song
Paramore- Hallelujah
Muse- Survival
Muse- Resistance
Rilo Kiley- A Better Son/Daughter
The Polyphonic Spree- You Don’t Know Me
The Polyphonic Spree- Hold Me Now
Styx- Why Me
Nickelback- Lullaby
Seether- Rise Above This

idiocy said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Paramore has done so much for me, honestly. I don’t know if it would count as saving my life, but they sure as heck have made it better. Their songs have helped me with my anxiety, and with my self-confidence.

The song Miracle, and the song Careful both really helped me with my anxiety. Last Hope off their new album also helps me with my anxiety. Ignorance helped me with realizing it’s not my fault if somebody decides to stop liking you, which helped with my self-confidence. When It Rains made me realize that things I do that I think only effect me also effect other people in my life. Their new song Escape Route is making me realize that it’s super normal to want to get out of your town, and it’s also normal for it to be difficult to get out.

Honestly, I could go on forever about them. I love them so much, and some of their interviews helped me with personal problems, too. Hayley Williams has this interview about how you shouldn’t do things to seem ‘cool’ for other people, and how you should do things for YOU and not for anybody else. I quit some… very unhealthy life decisions I was making after watching that interview. I was headed down a kind of dark road, and they really helped me reel myself back in.

I love them more than I can express, and I love their music more than I can express. They’re really fantastic people, and I hope maybe one day I’ll be able to tell them how much their music has helped me become a better person.

Yoshi said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Wow, I could go on and on about this topic, but a few songs in particular stand out to me. The first one being Coming Down by Five Finger Death Punch. It’s such a strong song and it’s let me know that I’m never alone. Another one is Don’t Close Your Eyes by Kix. It’s such a sweet and heartfelt song, all about suicide. Listen to it if you have yet to. This isn’t a song, but a whole band discography. Shinedown. The only reason I am typing this right now. I’ve been a fan since 2004, when I was about 8. They came into my life so suddenly and saved me from myself. Finally, Fix Me by Marianas Trench is basically the soundtrack to my depression. Oh, booyah. Seriously, check all of those songs and the bands out. I can assure you will not be disappointed.