The Bookkeeper said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Hello ,i have just gotten into this genre and would like
some suggestions on some good Artists/Bands/Songs in this genre.

Friendly Lemon said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I advise Thousand Foot Krutch if you want something between light and heavy; Red is a nice Christian Rock styled alt band that has some hard hitting songs; Downplay has some nice songs as well. Also a harder style is Breaking Benjamin or Three Days Grace.

Deleted User said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Alternative to what?..

z o e said 7 years, 1 month ago:

^ “Alternative rock (also called alternative music, alt-rock or simply alternative) is a genre of rock music that emerged from the independent music underground of the 1980s and became widely popular by the 1990s.” (wiki definition)

AFI is good, The Black Keys are good (although they almost lean a little more towards indie), Blue October is good, they can be a little softer, but they also can be kind of depressing, and I love Nirvana (they’re kinda punk rock, but I think they fit in alt too).

I loved The Black keys,Nirvana is awesome and i liked
Thousand foot krutch because they are well balanced(not too light and not too heavy).Red was good too.

If anyone has more good artists replies are welcome.

neccla said 7 years, 1 month ago:

my taste is probably too light for you (pop-ish), so i excluded some. You probably know Muse, Linkin park, Evanescence, Apocalyptica already.
—-> Foo Fighters (“Best of you”), The Offspring (“You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid”), Evans Blue (“This Time It’s Different”), The Pretty Reckless (“you make me wanna die”), Skillet (“whispers in the dark”, “hero”). 30 Seconds To Mars.
Not sure if these are alternative:
Rammstein (“Ich will”, “Du hast”, “Sonne”), Savior (“Rise Against”)

@infinitetwistedstars yea, that was my point – independent from what? :D

Sorry for coming back so late, The ‘alternative’ definition refers to the genre’s distinction from mainstream rock music, expressed primarily in a distorted guitar sound, subversive and/or transgressive lyrics and generally a nonchalant, defiant attitude. The term’s original meaning was broader, referring to a generation of musicians unified by their collective debt to either the musical style, or simply the independent, D.I.Y. ethos of punk rock, which in the late 1970s laid the groundwork for alternative music. At times, “alternative” has been used as a catch-all description for music from underground rock artists that receives mainstream recognition, or for any music, whether rock or not, that is seen to be descended from punk rock . I hope you get it now. Thanks neccla the bands that you suggested were awesome Rise above was good but i found it leaning more towards rock. More suggestions are welcome!!

Friendly Lemon said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Well I still recommend Breaking Benjamin because a lot of modern alt rock is based on them; however I can also say that Nine Lashes is pretty good as well and for the heavier Christian influence but still a pretty good song try Worth Dying For-Saviour (And Destroy but Destroy is a prequel to Saviour and is mostly preachy stuff).

Red Sheep said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Uhm, you know that it doesn’t exist only alternative rock, do you? Also, alternative rock cover a large amount of types of rock like indie rock, punk, indie pop, and so on, just like it exist alternative metal, alternative rap, and many others.

You should be more specific of what you’re searching at. I can suggest, you like others said, Evanecence just like the Gogol Bordello, that are completely different (but they are amazing, try hearing Pala Tute).

Well, talking about indie rock, it’s actually a genre that I prefer. I hear most of groups of this genre, or relatively alternative, so I can suggest you some. Let’s see other groups that I know… You can try to listen at the Ok GO, Gorillaz, The Cardigans, Imagine Dragons (Monster and Demons are the best!), Die Antwoord (even thouth this group is alternative Rap), and The Ting Tings.

Let me know if you tried them out, I like a lot all of this groups! :)

-The Pretty Reckless (ahh Taylor Momsen form Gossip Girl <3 also watch the parkour stunt she pulled while on the run from the paparazzi!)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkdphqSmDYM
-The Strokes
-The Hives
-The Vaccines
-Spoon
-Sum 41
-My Chemical Romance
-The Queens of Stoneage
-Weezer
-The 1975
-Phoenix
etc. etc