zyxkms said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Hi, I’m actually doing a university project focused around anxiety (as I suffer from social anxiety myself) resulting in panic attacks among other things and I’m glad I found this great website that can help many different people around the world.

I’m hoping to be able to get some insight into other people who suffer from it and what you guys do to cope with it? How you feel about your anxiety? Do your parents and friends help you? Do you seek medical attention or cope with it yourself? Has blahtherapy helped you and how?

My project is to research into something of interest and produce a design outcome for it as I’m a design student and I was thinking an app to help with those issues etc. If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be great also, such as previous experience of using other websites or apps to cope and if not, why?

Thank you in advance for any feedback given! you can also pm me instead if you prefer! :) and if people are interested in my project I can also keep you guys updated on my progress. ((and I’m terrible sorry if I’m not supposed something like this in here!))

Jess said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I don’t myself suffer from anxiety but your idea reminded me of a new app that is currently being trialled called Music escape. They look a mapping your mood swings through music and creating playlists to fit those moods as a form of music therapy. I don’t know if it’ll help with your project at all but definitely might be something you could look at: http://www.youngandwellcrc.org.au/music-escape-app/

Viceman said 9 years, 4 months ago:

How you feel about your anxiety?
It sucks. Ruins a lot of great opportunities.

Do your parents and friends help you?
Yes, when I lived with my parents my mom helped. She helped me avoid big dinners or get-togethers if I felt uncomfortable. My friends are also very understanding and helpful.

Do you seek medical attention or cope with it yourself?
I receive therapy and take medication as needed for it.

Has blahtherapy helped you and how?
No. I didn’t really come here for help with my anxiety.

HittinOnDorky said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I have been ridden with anxiety and depression since I was about 8 years old. Medically diagnosed at age 14, I was forced to take anti-depressants. I refused to take them, or even believe that what was going on was anymore than me being a hormonal teenager who was addicted to “downers” and pain-killers. I smoked, drank, abused prescription drugs, snuck out and disobeyed my parents. Needless to say, I did not cope well. My first big step in the right direction was when I was 17 and got clean and sober. It was only then I was able to try and piece together the relationships with my family I had shattered. My early to mid teen years were full of drama and abuse, pained memories and neglect. Things finally started to look up when I did not have a drug-induced fog looming over my life. It took me years from that point to come to terms with all my struggles and stigmas, accept the mental illnesses I was born with and figure out how to properly manage them. I am now 21, have had a stable home for a couple of years, a dog, long-term boyfriend, and best friend I would do anything for as well as total support from my family. These stigmas were handed down to me from many generations, both of my parents included. Once I got on the right track to handling them, I noticed a huge shift in my mother’s ability to cope as well. She soon got off her anti-depression medication and started to live a much healthier (and in turn happier) life style. I still find the hardest part of all this being the simple fact that it will never not be a part of me. You can cope, and the depression and anxiety may pull the rug out from under you less and less, but they are always there. They are aways just below the surface and can arise at any time. Thinking about how I will never be normal, I can never be without these struggles makes me sad. It is also what makes life so tragically beautiful, it is my reason to keep fighting every single day.

I hope that this helps, I am happy to answer any other questions if you have them.

mullofkintyre said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I suffer from social anxiety and generalized anxiety/panic attacks. On my YouTube channel I have made vlogs about how i deal with it, giving information about them, etc. If you or anybody else wants to watch them i’ll post them here

Social anxiety vlog -

Anxiety/Panic attacks vlog -