Jess said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Sort of. He’s really tall and has red eyes. But seeing him was like seeing a silhouette of a person in the dark

Deleted User said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Does he have a name besides “monster”?

Jess said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Cole used to call him David. I never really called him anything besides monster. He never was like “hey my name is ___” so yeah.

Viceman said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Do you often say “we” instead of “I”?

Jess said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I used to slip up a lot. I did it once in a job interview and I had to play it off that I meant something else >.< I still do it sometimes but I try to be more careful. Unless Im talking to my boyfriend or at therapy then the "we" instead of "I" thing happens more and is fine.

BugGirl793 said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Hey there! Another DIDian here. We have well over 300 inside, but only around 10 that usually “come out”. We’re not currently seeing a therapist due to financial nonsense, but we are on a forum that has been incredibly helpful.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello, as another multiple :) I am happy to answer questions, as well, if anyone has any. It’s such a grossly misrepresented situation.

Jess said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Nice to meet you ^_^

Kwonza said 9 years, 2 months ago:

This post has been very interesting to read. I would like to quickly clear up some misconceptions (because for some reason people take having alters to the next level just by assumption) about possible abilities alters can possess.
I saw it was being discussed earlier and someone had said it is possible for an alter to speak another language. This is only true if the host can speak that language already. It is impossible for any human being to suddenly acquire a new language.
In fact, there are very little talents alters may possess that the host does not have.
If the host has never played a musical instrument, an alter will not suddenly acquire this skill.
There are people that suffer trauma that suddenly acquire skill sets (not languages of course), but this is an entirely different phenomena.
When people use the terms “a bunch of different people living in my head” it tends to be taken to the next level.
Yes, they all have their own appearances, behaviors, memories, etc, but for some reason the average person is eager to apply a completely different skill set. This may be because some alters have different handwriting than the host.
Just want everyone to keep in mind alters cannot have any skills that the host does not already possess.
That is all.
Very interesting post.

Jess said 9 years, 2 months ago:

That is untrue. Alters can have talents that a host doesnt have and a host can have talents that an alter does not have. Of course none of them “suddenly” get the ability. It is learned. But for a person with DID, since their brain is basically fragmented into different sections, they may not necessarily have (or remember) the talent. For example, I can drive but soe of my alters can’t. Or some of my alters have a higher body temperature than mine. Yes, an alter can speak a language the host cant. Yes, an alter can sometimes do things the host cant. Another example, one of the other people with DID that sees the same psych as me has an alter that is a chef yet she only has basic cooking skills.

Cole said 9 years, 2 months ago:

First, I have a question for you, Kwonza: Do you have DID? No? Didn’t think so. You can’t even possibly know these things for sure based on some bullshit articles you’ve read.

Now then, on to my full rebuttal.

“I saw it was being discussed earlier and someone had said it is possible for an alter to speak another language.”
Incorrect. Any reputable psych who has had several patients with DID will tell you otherwise. Not to mention that it has been known that alters can speak different languages (even ones the host can’t speak) BEFORE MPD was renamed to DID.

“In fact, there are very little talents alters may possess that the host does not have.”
Also wrong. Alters are literally their own people. They have their own bodies, personalities, likes, dislikes, and, yes, even talents. Alters can have practically any talent, even things the host doesn’t know how to do. For example, the therapist Jess sees has had another patient who had several alters with special talents. In particular, one of these alters was a master chef even though the host never went to culinary school.

“When people use the terms ‘a bunch of different people living in my head’ it tends to be taken to the next level.”
THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT IT IS. Ask ANYONE who has DID.

“Just want everyone to keep in mind alters cannot have any skills that the host does not already possess.”
Once again, incorrect. I think I pretty much hammered this point home.

Neurology and modern psychology both disagree with the above posts.
I’m not trying to be rude, but to avoid spreading misconceptions about a disorder.

@Jess
You’re agreeing with me though. It isn’t something that will simultaneously show up. Of course if an alter learns a skill, he or she will learn that skill. That isn’t what I’m saying at all.
My point is that there are people that believe that when an alter forms, it can immediately have talents that the host does not have, which is untrue.
Basically, I am not saying that because a host doesn’t speak Spanish, that one of her alters can’t spend time studying and eventually acquiring a grasp at the Spanish language. What I’m saying is a host that has never been exposed to the Spanish language will not have an alter that develops speaking fluent Spanish.
I think we’re on the same page?
Also, with cooking it’s a little different. For example, my dad never has gone to culinary school but is an incredible chef and his father owned a very successful bakery back in my country (he also never went to culinary school).
Neither were taught how to cook, they just did it.
So having an alter that can guess measurements or has a strong perception of taste, it wouldn’t be surprising that he or she would be able to cook well. I think we’re in agreement with this, but I’m not sure.

@Cole
Bullshit articles? I don’t believe you bothered asking for my sources, but essentially modern psychology and neurology is what tells me this is true. If you’d like sources, I can gladly give them to you.
I’m not trying to be insensitive, just informative.
I’d like to see your resources for this so-called randomly acquired language because that is simply not how the brain works.
Again, it would be possible if say the host had taken maybe four years of Spanish, but forgot it, and then one of the alters could speak everything that he or she had learned in Spanish. That’s possible.
Never being exposed to Greek and then suddenly speaking Greek? That is impossible.
This goes for anyone, not just people with DID.
So by all means, link me to all of your sources.

As I’ve said above, cooking is different. Being successful in cooking is rather easy. Being great at cooking is easy.
Essentially, anyone that has knowledge is basic chemistry can apply it to cook well. This same thing applies to someone that is good at guessing things on sight, someone that is good at following directions, or someone with a strong taste palette. With no background in cooking, if someone has one of those skills then he or she can cook very well.

With your second to last paragraph, I completely worded that wrong. I’m sorry, I haven’t slept in seventy two hours. So if I sound short, rude, or choppy, it is completely unintentional.
I understand that’s what DID is, but that wasn’t at all what I was trying to say. At this point, I can’t even remember where I was trying to go with that, so just ignore it. I don’t know what I meant.
And also, let me clarify what I mean by skills, because that is a broad term. Basically, I mean that an alter can’t speak a language the host has never been exposed to, can’t read if the host is illiterate, and things like that.
I’m fully aware that there are PLENTY of simple skills that an alter can have that the host can’t. For example, I know an alter can excel in chemistry or math even if the host can’t understand it at all. Or that an alter can acquire a talent at a sport that the host could never master. Things like this.
Again, lacking seventy two hours of sleep here. When I stated skills it sounded as though I was saying there is no way an alter can have ANY skill the host doesn’t, but that isn’t what I meant at all.

And finally, again, by saying this I’m not undermining DID. I’m just bringing to light the impossible and the possible.
Two of my close friends have DID (I actually met one through the other) and are also aware about the impossible and possible in psychology. I know how hard it is to live with and am in no way trying to say it isn’t. I don’t know how anyone could interpret what I’m saying in that way, but people are sensitive and defensive (I know I can get that way too), so I just wanted to clarify that.

Cole said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Dude, just fucking accept that you’re wrong. You’ve obviously NEVER spoken with someone who has the disorder NOR a therapist who has dealt with DID patients.
Do you not realize that there are multiple people in this thread that have the disorder and will repeatedly tell you how wrong you are?

rinseandrep said 9 years, 2 months ago:

@bananaartist maybe you could let your friends deal with this thread, so if they want to say something about what in their experience is different, they can do it directly among peers, and you don’t risk offending people by arguing the authenticity of their lives.

@Cole
I simply asked you for resource links and you refuse to comply. If you think you’re right, just give me thinks to these sources you claim to have read. I’m willing to provide you countless links if you ask. I don’t understand the issue here, I am simply clarifying a topic.

@rinseandrep
I’m not arguing the authenticity of anyone’s life. If one of the two had claimed to have one of the experiences I said are impossible, I would just not bother in explaining anything. But they didn’t and are just saying that they heard of people that claim this. I don’t want them to be wrapped up in a web of lies with this already misunderstood disease.

Jess said 9 years, 2 months ago:

You have not read the entire thread, have you? We don’t need links when we’ve experienced it ourselves. You simply aren’t understanding that fact.