ramalama said 9 years, 2 months ago:

As the title says, tomorrow I am going to comply with my family and friends’ wishes to admit myself into a mental facility. I’m nervous as hell, and if anyone has had experience as a patient, I would love some information, support, or any advice you can give me or anyone else looking to take this serious step.

I’m am going because I have been suffering from delusions and intrusive thoughts that lead me to attempt suicide a few days ago. I have been diagnosed with Mood Disorder NOS (meaning not otherwise specified) and my symptoms are similar to those of schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder.

If anyone has any thoughts, similar experiences, questions, or just support for what me and potentially others are going through please feel free to share. Thank you all for your help.

MaddHatter said 9 years, 2 months ago:

My sister was admitted (though I wasn’t). Try to look at it as a way forward. Otherwise, you won’t be able to get help from it. The point is that mental illness is like physical illness in it’s need to be treated, but people dont see it, so dismiss it as “in your head.” Since your head is your brain, which determines who you are, that is very important. I wish you well, and feel free to message me if you want someone to vent to.

Kkb17 said 8 years, 10 months ago:

I’ve voluntarily admitted myself twice. The first time was because I had major postpartum depression and started having intrusive thoughts that scared me and I thought I was going to hurt my son. I was only there 2 days because the facility wasn’t designed for long term care. The second time was 15 months later after I started self harming and was having panic attacks and major depression. I stayed 3 days that time. That time I was able to get hooked up with a psychiatrist who actually wanted to help me and get me an official diagnosis. I e battled mental illness for 20 years. Going to the psych ward that second time was probably the best thing I could’ve done. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder, general anxiety and social anxiety disorders, panic disorder, ptsd from past assault and abuse by an ex partner and my father, and they suspected bipolar 2 or BPD but they ruled those out after evaluation. I was able to get on proper medications and see a therapist weekly and attend group sessions as well.
There’s so much stigma surrounding mental illness and going to an institution. But there shouldn’t be. It can be so beneficial. I hope you were able to get the help you needed. I know this reply is late but I just came across it and wanted to put my 2 cents in. Good luck to you.

bumbleme said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Keep your focus on positive thoughts and recovery, though this is very hard to do. Everyone is here to love and support you. Advocate for yourself however you are feeling, and take advantage of any help offered. You can do it!

Jarrod Allen Smith said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Good for you! Make the most of it! I admitted myself at the advice of friends and I don’t regret it one bit! It is a very different experience to go through. You may even feel like you don’t need it. But it will be worth while!