Andrew said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I’m 25, a virgin, and have never dated a girl before. I left all my best friends when I moved away for a job opportunity a couple months ago. I’ve never felt so lonely all my life.

Yet, I don’t pity myself for who I am. I stopped blaming and hating myself for not trying harder; because I have tried and I have struggled and toiled for years to muster the courage to talk to girls. And I have failed time and time again. I would go home miserable, turn off all the lights in my bedroom and pull the blanket over my head.

Although I have managed to fill this void, this emptiness and longing for friendship and companionship that I have carried around for so long: There are moments in my life where I look back and wonder, with melancholy, at how my life could have been. Happiness, to me, feel like an illusion. One moment you have it in your hands, and it is warm and glowing, and at the next moment it slips through your fingers like fine grains of sand.

big pipsqueak said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I feel like happiness is an illusion for me. I’m bipolar, so every time I think I’m happy it turns out to be mania. It’s a crushing feeling when I realize that I’m not genuinely happy and will soon crash.

Hussein said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I can totally relate to that, I’m 25 and never dated before as well.
I feel lonely a lot and the only way for me to manage it is through working hard on my career.
I don’t have the courage to ask a girl out because of the fear of failure and not because I actually can’t talk.
I don’t know what’s the meaning of happiness and if I ever felt it or is it just an illusion, but the only thing that keeps me going is the clinging for hope that things will be better and that I’m a good person who deserves happiness and I will get it one day ( not sure if that will ever happen though ).

Andrew said 9 years, 1 month ago:

@mikelo

I know how it feels; been there, done that. Over the long years I figured out you just have to take your chances sometimes. If she rejects you; so what? The world doesn’t stop spinning because of that and you can move on and get her off your brain.

Just get out and meet people, because that’s the only way you’re going to find the girl for you. I started to visit my local dance club (swing, pair-dance) as a way to get me out of the house and who knew; I love it! Find something you’re passionate about or try out something completely new and challenge yourself.

luvs25 said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Andrew,
Hang in there, I know how hard it is to move to a new place. I just did that in 2013 and now I am bout to move again. I thought that I would play it safe and not make friends here, what’s the point if I am going to move? But what I realized was that I needed people, not a lot of people just a few close friends to rely on. Now granted that took months almost closer to a year to develop but it was worth it. It wasn’t until those trying times that I realized who I left behind weren’t really my friends because they never stayed in touch…and the people here who are “too busy”"need me to schedule a month in advance” just to get together aren’t worth it. I am 25 too, and I am too old to play mind games. I hope that you can find some cool people to hangout with in the Swing Dance group! Here if you want to talk.

DJ111 said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Happiness can be illusion if you want it to be, its all a mind game.
I’m 24yo & never had a gf in my life… and been through the same as you, but you just have to continue living your day basically.

It’ll happen one day ;)