imdown said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Here, Even if you are listening to settle your own problems, you aren’t looking to gain anything from the other person right? You aren’t really looking to use the person in a way that would hurt them. You aren’t looking to put someone lower. No you’re here to help. So let me ask you this: Why does it matter?

Whitey Fisk said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Does anyone worry that this might be a trait of narcissism? I do a lot of listening, and I do like helping others, but I find that listening helps me define my personality and my own well-being, but only in contrast to their personalities. I feel like I have conditioned myself to listen as a coping mechanism and I have trouble examining myself. I’m thinking along the same lines as the poster who put it as distracting ourselves from our own problems, but I worry that it has left has left me with little identity.

quack-quack said 10 years ago:

I have thought that most people listen cause they are addicted to drama. :)

And we don’t realize it.

Nayrumage said 9 years, 11 months ago:

mostly because I like helping and feeling like I’m making a difference.

SunnieAnnie said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I love to listen people becouse i Love to help however i can,with my experiences,advices,anything.I like the feeling when someone tell me that i helped tham and that i know they are relifed at least a little bit :)

Rave said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I think it puts your own problems in perspective. It makes you realise that to listen is to help and to help others really makes you feel like you are doing your little part to make the world a better place.

kasey said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I listen because…well, I like being able to think that I helped someone, some way. If, somehow, my limited knowledge will be able to help someone feel better, then I’m all for it. I love knowing that, getting on there, I’m helping someone talk out what they’re feeling and experiencing. Even if I can’t solve their problems, it’s good to know that I can be there and listen. I speak from experience when I say that sometimes, that’s all you really need. If I didn’t fix their problems, maybe I lightened the load by listening. Who knows? Maybe I made them smile.
I guess I like that feeling…that I did something to help someone, even if it was small. That’s why.

sarah said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I’ll be honest, I click on the listen button when I’m just on the verge of crying or breaking down. It gives me something else to focus on and if by the end of the chat session, the other person feels better, I don’t feel as useless as I do when I go in, generally. I ‘listen’ for completely selfish reasons is what I’m saying I guess.

Shawn said 9 years, 11 months ago:

i listen for a few reasons. my main reason is because i hate to see other people in pain. i know what its like to be in pain all the time, a quote i found said

“The loneliest people are the kindest, The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.”

Varys said 9 years, 10 months ago:

To me, it’s not for the sake of knowing that I’ve helped someone.
It’s just that it makes me feel better that someone may need help, and I’m here, I have some free time…why not trying to be helpful then? What seems just a little chat to me, may mean a lot to others.
And…the fact that I’ve never really had someone to listen to me gets into this too. I don’t want other people to end up with their mind filled with awful thought just because no one was there for them. I wanna be there.
Problem is, I’m very empathic and every now and then I need to get away from other people’s problems cause they would become mine and I cannot really let this happen.

itskelsie said 9 years, 10 months ago:

When someone asks me why I help other people and listen to those who need it there’s really no real answer. I respond “Why do you not?” To know you’re helping someone who needs it and feels so alone that they have to come to a complete stranger who they don’t even know for help is just absolutely incredible. Knowing you are listening and helping someone who truly does need it, it makes you feel good inside. I listen because I like to help others who need it. I like being there for people, and I love when people come to me for advice and help. It makes me feel good and it makes me feel like there is more to me than just a person, I’m a helper and a listener.

Apfelle said 9 years, 10 months ago:

This is so interesting! I hadn’t been on Blah Therapy for a long time, so most of these posts I’ve only just seen. Thank you so much to everyone whose posted, and I’m looking forward to any new additions!

To modify my earlier post, I’ve realised that my efforts to help other people and my avoidance of my own problems aren’t necessarily connected. I don’t have to face my problems when I’m taking my dog for a walk, but I don’t walk him BECAUSE of that — this is sort of the same thing, I guess.

Hayden said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I like to listen because I know how it feels to have no one there, and that hurts.
I want to make people feel cared for and I want them know that someone is there for them, because they deserve that. They don’t deserve to feel the pain of having no one there to listen to them.
There’s no better feeling than knowing you’ve helped someone through a tough situation; that you’ve helped them.
In the end, I really just want to be there for them.