Jess said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I started listening yesterday when I heard about this sit purely because I wanted to help, and I’ve always wanted to help. For a while I wanted to be a psychologist, but I changed my mind for now, but I still want a job in helping people, preferably in some sort of psychological position.

I like to think that if I needed help, I would get help, as well, in the same way when someone needs help I help them. Like, treat people how you want to be treated sort of thing.

Helping people makes me feel good too. When they say I’ve helped, or I’ve given the a good idea, or they simply feel better, or thank me for listening, it makes me feel good as well.

I have had a person already within 24 hours of signing up that was in a horrendous position and I couldn’t help her, all I could do was listen, and I was so sad afterwards, I was like “nope, not gonng cry, not gonna cry not gonna cry!”. It’s 100x times harder for her to live through than for us to listen and people really just need someone to be there for them, and since I can, I will try.

Also, it’s something to do. Listening to people’s problems and trying to help isn’t exactly something you’d tell someone to do when they tell you you’re bored, but I really enjoy this. It’s entertaining, for lack of a better word. It’s a distraction also.

Lots of reasons.

TeddyUnbearable said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I listen because so many times I’ve been stuck in horrible situations with no one to turn to. I want to make sure no one ever has to go through that. ever. It is somewhat reassuring when the venter is venting about something I’ve already gone through because, yeah, it makes me feel less alone. But it doesn’t make the venter’s problems any easier to overcome by any means. Everyone’s problems are individual to themselves. I still try to do the best I can to help :) xoxo

Deleted User said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I ask myself the same question, well something similar; does this guys really care about me?

I even had a bad experience with someone from this forum, i ask again, people, do you really care?

I have a hard time understanding if you do, and why do you do care?

Staceylou said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I listen because I have always tried to be the nice person, it got me walked all over but if I can make anybody feel the slightest bit better about themselves it makes my confidence in myself increase, selfish motive aside, I don’t like seeing anybody sad. You all deserve better than you get.

katiemaire816 said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I listen because everyone deserves to have someone listen to them. Everyone deserves to be able to get their emotions and problems out and just be HEARD. I want to help people and give advice on whatever I can. I’ve been through more than most people my age so I can usually relate to just about anyone. You never know how far a kind word or a lending ear can really go. That’s why I listen.

Daniela said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I listen because when I was going thru hard times, no one was there for me. I felt alone and feeling alone made me feel worse.
I listen because I don’t ever want someone to feel what I felt. It’s a horrible experience and if it wasn’t for one person who changed my whole view on things I sadly wouldn’t be here today.
I want to be that one person who helps others so they don’t have to be alone.

Dusted wings said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I think I listen because I know how it feels to be alone and need someone to listen to you. I also listen because it helps me feel better about myself, it feels magical to see that I could help someone that my self-awareness goes up and I become positive towards myself.
It’s also good karma and it makes the world a better place to help or even try to help someone. I will never be able to help everyone that crosses my way but I do my best, putting myself in their shoes.
I was never a good listener because I like talking about myself and my feelings. Listening to people here helps me teach myself patience and selflessness. Or so I hope.

I think because I know, experienced, how it is to have no one you can talk to. It’s terrible and I don’t want anyone else to go to terrible things alone.

Beth said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I like to hope that I can help, even if all I can do is listen – there are some subjects that I don’t have experience in but I try to advise as best as I can.

Katherine Eaton said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I listen because I want to help someone with the problems it took me a long time to work threw by myself.

mangachick25 said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I started listening to people because I do it so often in real life, and it makes me feel like I am making a difference. I want to be a psychologist someday, so I believe this is helping me out.

DriftPatiently said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I want to listen (have yet to do so) because in helping someone else, I learn ways to help myself. It’s like the saying, “you never know how well you’ve learned something until you teach it”. Well, how do I know how well I’m caring for myself unless I examine how I care for others? Maybe I’m not completely selfless, but I genuinely have grown compassion for others that wasn’t there when I didn’t have compassion for myself.

i listen because it makes me feel good about myself when people tell me that talking to me has made them feel better. it makes me happy when i’m able to make someone else happy(er).

Deleted User said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I do it because I care.

Shy BB said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I do it because I always was more of a listener, plus I like helping people. I feel good when I know I was able to help someone. That and I also can learn and figure out how to solve my own issues. My father taught me that I should observe people, to listen, watch and learn from their experience. I think this has helped me take notice of things more easily and help other people including myself.