Harry said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I have tried to vent a few times, but I’ve always had rather awful experiences. I am not saying the listeners were bad people, but I didn’t really feel like I could vent to them. They were… I don’t know?… Too informal? Didn’t seem serious or have any good advice? I can’t really explain it well… but whenever I tried to vent, I ended up switching back and being a listener because I felt awful for anyone who wasn’t getting decent help. I’m not saying I’m amazing or perfect at this, but in general I have been able to help whoever I spoke to and they seemed to have a good experience with it. I just… want someone to vent to. But I’m probably not going to ever get that chance.

an average girl said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I have had a couple of really good listeners, but you’re right, they’re hard to come by.

Sometimes I have such an amazing conversation with a listener, that I always regret not finding out who they were.

If you ever need to vent, I am always here. I love getting messages, and love lending an ear. I know it’s not as good as the anonymous chat format, but the offer always stands. Good luck finding someone! <3

Hearmenow said 9 years, 10 months ago:

There are some good people, and some not as good but still have a desire to help. Try to keep in mind that no one here really is a professionals, especially not in the chat. It’s meant for a more casual conversation.

Of course, you can do a lot of good, I’ve had some great conversations myself and really felt like I’ve got trough to people and they got something out of it. Be patient, and if you need someone to vent to, I can surely give it a go. Don’t give up on something because you feel like you’re not being heard or not getting what you want, it’s not always easy knowing what the person needs, it takes time and practice, as does everything.

LoudnBlunt said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Hmm..Yes I had that occurrence once…it was refreshing though…it made their opinion unique and amusing…it made you at least smile.

I rarely vent…normally I am listener and its really great, it makes you feel better about yourself for helping others who have problems :)
x

Swifting said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Let’s face it not everyone is going to be able to listen to the best of their extent on every given problem. Even if you’re 100% focused there is no guarantee you’re going to be able to accept or fully understand the problem or understand how to listen.

I always try to stay formal in my introduction of the conversation. Those first few minutes are when you’re trying to get someone to open up. I’m a formal person and want you to know I’m taking you seriously.

ABrighterDay said 9 years, 10 months ago:

If you ever need someone to vent to, I’m here, okay? I can’t guarantee I’ll have the best advice, but I’m good at seriously taking in what you have to say.

I’ve only vented a few times, and in those times I’ve found that a listener can be really good, or inexperienced. I’m grateful to anyone that wants to help, but yeah, I understand that it can go over poorly, and even be harmful if they express hurtful opinions on what you’re trying to vent about. They’re not trained professionals, so there’s not much you can do but try again and hope fate’s dice land you on someone compatible.

Levi-UR said 9 years, 9 months ago:

has it ever happened to any of you that when you decide to vent you end up mentally correcting your listeners mistakes? like “Ooh they really should have waited till they saw i was done typing, that last sentence was going to change what i meant.” or “wow why are they focusing on that? I literally just said that IS NOT the problem” Not talking straight up bad venting to the venter listeners just ones who use some less sensitive phrases like “what’s wrong with you?” or those who pretend to know your whole life story. Cuz honestly Ive found when a lot of those issues do arise it is really easy to slip into the rut of being a listener and letting the listener vent.

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I infiltrate as a venter from time-to-time to check the quality of Listeners, or to try and catch trolls.