Levi-UR said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Earlier today I found myself contemplating the disturbing rise in reports of trolling on the random chat service. I have come to Three distinct conclusions as a result of this. 1. Although the trolls are both venters and listeners those masquerading as venters can be more easily addressed. This is because of the role the listener plays, in short a listener is (in all likely hood) more capable of logical thought and less emotionally charged and listeners are less likely to end a chat for fear of disconnecting with somebody who sounds like a troll but is in fact in pain. 2. Although insidious and despicable trolls masquerading as venters dealing with issues that are serious must be treated as though they are actually dealing with the issues they claim for the aforementioned reason. In other words if somebody claims they are depressed or that they are having thoughts of suicide or were raped they must be treated as though they are not trolls even if they sound like one. Generally speaking these trolls will not stay in character and will shift topics to avoid it. They also tend to grow bored if they do not get a rise out of the listener leading us to point 3. 3. The only people who can be treated as trolls are those who we know are trolls. Primarily these are trolls who attempt to sexual harassment through the chat. This includes requests to cyber, negative or hurtful comments about appearance gender ect. of the listener or a fixation on the listeners private life. For this specific purpose I have thought of a response to have for “venters” who act in this manner. Effectively troll the trolls. Instead of waiting to meet one of these trolls and insulting they imagine simply copying and pasting this generic response.

Why do you insist on using the online chat service like this? You know that there are people who actually need help on this site and you are no doubt aware that there are sites dedicated for the type of behavior in which you seek to engage. Both of these statements being true it appears that you seem to want something other then what you claim, what do you think that could be?
The entire point of this is to weed out the trolls. Actual venters should not be offended as this is keeping in character with the role of a listener. If the venter responds with another request to cyber or a comment that is sexual in nature simply re-paste the paragraph. If they see that their attempts at sexual harassment are not only pointless but also consistently shot down by multiple listeners they will likely leave as they are being resisted by the community not just one or two of us.

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 9 months ago:

No.

The moment the Listener is reasonably certain they are being trolled, they should report the user and disconnect.

Do not feed the trolls.

A corollary to “Do Not Feed The Trolls” is “never argue with an idiot; they will drag you down to their level and beat you out with experience.”

ABrighterDay said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I agree with Jonathan. In the face of a troll, it’s best to report them and move on.

Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

For me I usually just tell them, oh sure, but to be 100% honest, I’m a male by the way, want to see my dick on cam? (I’m a female) And that usually scares them….hopefully make them run away from this site for good! :D