jessie said 7 years, 8 months ago:

my parents know i’m openly gay, and so do my friends, but i still find it hard to talk to them about me and my girlfriend?
anyone else the same or have any advice?

JoJo said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Wish I had some to offer. Are your parents/family/friends okay with it… are they supportive of you I guess is what I’m asking. Maybe your unease is coming from the fear that they aren’t as accepting of who you are?

alex said 7 years, 8 months ago:

my “coming out” period lasted for arguably four years. it started with close friends, then acquaintances, and then parents. as you can probably understand, telling my parents was one of the most difficult things i have ever had to do. my mom was terrified that my sexuality would cause me a lot of adversity, while my dad decided he didn’t want to hear it. my mom was comfortable with it in a few days, but that wasn’t the case for my dad. we didn’t speak for about two weeks. when we did start talking, it was tense. we argued. i found out much later that he was afraid because he knew before i told him, but he just never wanted to face it. but things worked out, more or less. everything went back to normal. except…it was TOO normal. we didn’t talk about my sexuality. three years later, after i had to move back home, we had a huge blowout. there were a lot of things behind it, but one of them was the fact that i was angry that he didn’t recognize it. and after that, things finally settled in. we understood each other.

what i’m trying to say, is it’s going to take time before everone is comfortable with the situation. parents are just human beings trying to figure out all the things that life throws at them, just like you and i are. my best advice would be to push the boundaries of your comfort zone a little. it’s never going to feel normal to any of you unless you start talking about it. believe me, i wish i had taken that approach in the first place. that way i could have saved that three years of tension. start by telling funny stories about the two of you, or show them any gifts she might have given you. little things. it’s going to feel awkward, but no growth will ever happen without a little resistance. good luck and stay well.