bricheese said 10 years, 7 months ago:

*Disclaimer* This can be any type of story that you want it to be, whether something that you want to get off your chest, something that inspired you to become the person that you are, or just a silly/funny story if you want to. I think that story-telling is a way to really get to know someone for their true character, and like I said I wanted the goal of this group to create intimacy and familiarity that can get convoluted in this site due to a lot of members. Anyway, I look forward to hearing all of your stories.

So I will start this off~ I’m going to try to be as succinct as I can be but I might digress but anyway, so when I went off to college I was really nervous about it. I knew absolutely no one coming here-as I’m going to school in Arizona and from Cali- and I came here looking through extremely naive eyes. Granted, the people here are really nice but I’m a pretty shy person upon first impressions so I always felt out of place because it seemed like everyone had someone to eat with or sit next to in classes and I tried to hide the fact that I was a loner.

I came here thinking I could contribute to the world by being a psychology major, more specifically a counselor. I’m not going to go into detail right now, maybe another time but I had a hard time in high school and for a while I despised people but when I saw a therapist everything changed, and I wanted to be like my therapist.

So I’m just sitting in my intro classes not feeling that inspired because it was a developmental class I wasn’t that interested in Freud, Erickson and so on. So I started to question myself as to why I chose this major, throughout my life I thought I was going to major in biology or chemistry, these topics were not my strengths at all; I did well in school but I never felt a love of a particular subject.

And then I entered my first philosophy class, a class I needed to take because of the college’s general requirements. Whenever I told family or friends that I was taking a philosophy class they kind of looked at me with sympathy in their eyes and I didn’t really know what to expect except the fact that everyone seemed to be telling me that it was a dreadful course. But it was so much more then that.

I have never felt so depressed walking out of that class then ever before. But at the same time I never felt so inspired. It seems contradictory I know but allow me to explain. This class was going to focus on these sages of the past such as Socrates, The Buddah, Krishna, and Confucius. Getting into the topic of these people are an entirely whole animal on its own so I will get to the point.

James Joiner, that was the name of the instructor. A few weeks have gone by and my impression of him is that he was an amazing speaker and story-teller and he would spark creativity and inspire us by asking such questions as to what brings a person ever-long happiness. He would make us just talk to the people around us, even if we didn’t know them and just engage in a thoughtful conversation.

Anyway, a few weeks into this course he comes into class one day and starts with this. “On average each of you will change your major 3-4 times in your college careers. And 1/3rd of you will get a job that has nothing to do with your major.” At this point I was really questioning myself if I was doing the right thing and if I really liked my major.

And he continued with this story, he said that he would go to prisons and give talks to the incarcerated people there. He asked them what brings ever lasting happiness. And they said things like respect, money, women, and so on. And he asked them what person has achieved all of these things, and an answer was Tupac. And James said, “Interesting, so you are saying that Tupac had eternal happiness?” And the prisoners responded yes. And then James retorts, “Interesting, so if he did achieve ever-lasting happiness why did he say this, ‘Now I’m lost and I’m weary, so many tears I’m suicidal, so don’t stand near me. My every move is a calculated step, to bring me closer to embrace an early death, now there’s nothing left. There was no mercy on the streets, I couldn’t rest. I’m barely standing, bout to go to pieces, screaming peace. And though my soul was deleted, I couldn’t see it. I had my mind full of demons trying to break free. They planted seeds and they hatched, sparking the flame inside my brain like a match, such a dirty game. No memories, just a misery.’”

And he repeated that line, ‘No memories, just a misery’ And if I wasn’t feeling thoroughly depressed enough he goes on to tell this other story. The name of the person escapes me but it was this famous tennis player that won US open and a lot of titles. And an interviewer asked him if you could tell your younger self something that you know now, what would you say to him. And the tennis player responded that ‘When you make it to the top, there’s nothing there.’

And James ended the class on that line. That line has been etched into my mind ever since, and when the next class came I braced myself for what might come next but he went on to explain that everyone told him that he would never make it as a philosophy major. No matter how much he loved it they told him the best he would be able to accomplish is teaching a few classes at the community college and that was if he was lucky. But he didn’t listen to them, his passion for the field didn’t come from what other people told him to do but what he wanted to do.

And from that moment I knew that I was on the right path, so many people looked down on me when I told them my major and how it has become almost trendy or that’s what people choose when they don’t know what they want to major in. I was on the right path but I swerved a bit to the right when thinking I wanted to be a counselor because my true passion was for research and lab work. And that’s where I am today.

Sorry that was so long my thoughts were just spewing towards my fingers so I kind of just went with it. If you read all this, thanks a lot I appreciate it and I look forward to hearing your stories. Thanks again.

Amy Belle said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I totally understand the whole “not-being-sure” on your major thing. My brother went through it, and my parents constantly nag me on thinking of college already. It shouldn’t really matter though because I’m barely into my second year of high school, you know? But my brother was supposed to major in biology and then go to med school, and become a doctor. The whole Asian stereotypes and all. But he changed his major at the end of his first year and he’s majoring in astronomic chemistry or whatever it’s called hahah. But anyway, my parents disapproved, called him a failure, and took away his tuition that they were paying. But my brother is FINALLY happy with his decision and I’m so proud of him.

I’m also proud of you for believing in your gut decision. I want to to be a psychologist, too(:

Oh, and my story will be coming up shortly. It’s actually a rant about someone that has a small part in my life, and yet has left a huge impact.

@xamybellex I totally know what you mean about Asian stereotypes! I grew up in a predominantly Asian town and I always kind of felt inferior compared to my friends because they are either going to UCLA or UCSD and they have majors like biochem, pharm, engineering or accounting.

But then none of them are that passionate about what they are doing, sure in the future they will get nice jobs for it, but does that really matter? Can money really truly buy happiness? No it can’t. And I may be going to a small school in Arizona but I love it here it has the private school feel where you know your professors and they know you. I’ve come to terms with that it doesn’t matter where you graduate from, but where you are going to be the happiest attending.

Please don’t listen to what your parents want! My mom luckily was never one of those ‘tiger moms’ but definitely my friends are like that! Especially a good friend of mine’s mom wants him to go to med school and whatnot even though he is deathly afraid of blood and she simply told him that he would grow out of it.

It’s your future you have the right to make the decision on what you want to go into. I think what brings ever-lasting happiness is waking up in the morning and happy to go to work for the day and loving what you do. So I hope you go astray from the path that your parents are trying to make for you. I know that they are doing that because they want what’s best for you but again if you aren’t going to enjoy it don’t go along with it.

WARNING; I CHANGE TENSES A LOT AND I DON’T FEEL LIKE GOING BACK AND CHANGING THEM. ALSO, THIS WASN’T RE-READ SO BEWARE PUNCTUATIONAL/GRAMMATICAL/SPELLING ERRORS.

His name is JJ. Or at least, that’s what only a few people left call him. Now he goes by his full name, George. He’s in my grade and lives less than a mile from my house. I pass his house whenever I go to the gas station, aka the only source of entertainment where I live.

I’ve known him since fifth grade because until then, he was home-schooled. He was also on my bus and for the majority of seventh and eighth grade, I would sit with JJ on the bus. We’d text a lot, and I even knew his family. His mom was the head of this religious club that I joined in school in fifth grade. And in eighth grade I joined this theater group that his sister was in, too. His mom naturally loved me, and she is still very nice to me.

JJ has always been like most people where I live: a country-lovin’, football-playin’, redneck. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but it gets really difficult when there’s only eight Asian kids in a grade of 250.

As me and JJ got to know each other, I had formed a tiny crush on him here and there, and I’m not going to lie… He probably liked me a little here and there too. It feels like so long ago, either the summer before eighth grade, or maybe even the summer before ninth grade, when he even offered to hang out with me. We lived so close to each other, and so one day, we just met up at a nearby park. Everything went so well. He had always been so sweet and even though our conversations started to become rare, they were fun and felt so comfortable. Even in eighth grade, he gave me his most prized possession; his camo hat that he wore every single day, no matter what. He told me it was because he was getting a new one soon for his birthday, anyway.

It was near the end of freshman year/nine grade when things went completely wrong. Me and JJ RARELY talked the whole year. And this one weekend, I just decided to text him. Everything was completely fine. In fact, we texted for a good 8 hours on that Saturday. But wait, here comes the bad part.

On Wednesday, a friend, Cori, (who lives three houses down from me) and I were walking home from the gas station (yes the one that I have to pass JJ’s house to get to) after school. She was telling me that she had been talking to JJ in class and he told her that I was annoying him all weekend. Of course I didn’t act fazed, but inside I was slightly hurt. But then I just shrugged it off and stopped thinking about it. Two days later, Cori and I were walking home from the gas station again. It was Friday and we were glad to have some breathing room after a long week of school. But then she brought up how JJ had called me stalker in school that day. This time, though, I texted him myself.

“Cori told me that you think I’m a stalker?” I asked.
“I’m not going to deny it,” JJ replied.

We were walking into our neighborhood when he told me that I was “stalking him just ten minutes ago,”

“That was me AND Cori, WALKING PAST YOUR HOUSE, after going to the gas station,” I tried defending myself. But no. He didn’t shrug it off, and frankly, I didn’t either.

He proceeded to say that his friends at school told him that I stalk him, and I replied to him by saying that I didn’t even know his friends. He was in my lunch and I didn’t know more than half the people he sat with. I didn’t even know their names! But he didn’t take it and eventually I couldn’t either, so I stopped. I was done with him. If he could seriously “cherish” his seven month friendship more than our four YEAR friendship, then I didn’t care anymore. He wasn’t worth my time or my breathe or my thoughts.

His glares in school for the rest of the year killed me, though. I could barely look him in the eye. But then school came around again and I was like, alright, let’s start fresh. He sat with some of my guy friends in lunch and he was in my math class right after. On the second day, he walked into our math class and I gave him the biggest grin and said hi. His facial expression was mixed between shock, confusion, anger, and something else that I couldn’t figure out. The week following, I was sitting with these smart girls at the table text to JJ. And my friend sitting across from JJ, called my name. I looked over at him and he said, “So JJ said that you stalk him.”

And I knew right then JJ and I would ALWAYS hate each other. It’s funny that right after he told them that I stalk him, he switched tables and now he sits with the jocks… At the table right next to mine..

Of course, every single day in lunch, we make eye contact. We glare or roll our eyes. One time I even laughed when we made eye contact and I watched his jaw clench and his hands turn into fists and his knuckles turn white. It was the most priceless sense of comfort I could have ever gotten. He was so much bigger and scarier and a hell lot more intimidating than me, but knowing that I could make him react with one small laugh made the whole rivalry worth it. Sometimes in math my friends will tease me a little and I can see JJ in the corner of my eye laughing at my expense. And sometimes we’d do those awkward back and forth head turns. Like I would look at him quickly, and as I turn away, I see him turning towards me, and so I would look at him again, and over and over again because we’d pretty much be trying to catch each other staring.

He looks down on me like I’m some sort of prey that he was hunting for dinner. And I knew what that looked like because I knew him THAT well. I know the differences between his facial expressions, especially. He was one of the most easy people to read. By the time eighth grade came around, I could decipher between the weekends when he wanted it to rain during his family camping trips and the weekends when didn’t want it to rain during them. I knew when hunting season was starting before he could let me know. I knew when his dad got a new car or when he finally finished fixing up a car with his dad. But all of that was useless now.

On countless occasions, I have thought of burning his hat in my backyard. But he trusted me with it a lot. He used to ask me about it whenever we texted because it had meant so much to him. His dad gave it him the first time he could remember them camping and hunting together. He said he saw a lot of blood, had a lot of sweat, and shed a lot of tears with the hat. The hat that he gave me. And I wasn’t just going to throw it away. I have obviously thought about giving the hat back, but that would give him the satisfaction that our friendship was over. And deep down, I didn’t want that. I didn’t want our friendship to be over even though I knew it already was COMPLETELY over already and that it had been for awhile.

I feel like a big part of the reason he turned on me was the fact that he had finally become so popular. He was at the top of the food chain at my high school, wearing his jersey on game days and carrying around a hat so he could wear it when a teacher wasn’t looking. He hung out with the worst kind of popular kid: the arrogant, fake bitches. I feel bad that he has an ego so high that it can ruin a friendship.

It just sucks that my best friend thinks I’m subconsciously in love with him when obviously I hate his guts and we’re worst enemies. But whatever.

Thanks for letting me rant hahaha and sorry for the length of the story!

@bricheese63 Thanks so much! My brother told me the night that my parents found out of him switching that it doesn’t matter what I become, as long as I’m happy. I hope your friend can somehow get out of becoming a doctor, but if he can’t then hopefully his fear of blood WILL go away :S That’s really rough. My brother also said that if you’re passionate about something, then you’ll find a way to make money out of it. I mean, look at all of those street performers, right?

@xamybellex Wow sorry to hear about that, it seems completely stupid and asinine of JJ to say those things to you. But I guess in a sense it’s better because you can see what kind of person he truly is, if he kept a straight face when you would talk to him or text him and then he would change faces when talking to someone else. I definitely have experience with these two-faced people and it’s definitely for the better that you got out of it and you can move on from it

@xamybellex I hope so too, I’ve tried to talk to him about he but he just shrugs it off. But he’s a first generation American so of course his parents want to achieve the American dream through him, and I get that but there’s other methods to obtaining that. But anyway, don’t feel flustered though if you aren’t too sure of what you want to do, a lot of people go to college with an undeclared major and that’s totally fine, most schools require general requirements anyway so if you decide you don’t like a certain class-for my it was family studies- then hey it counts for credit. But exactly, my Uncle always tried to convince me to go into a ‘trade’ because he is an engineer, so he has a lot of money. But I always tried to tell him it’s not about the money, he got lucky that engineering is what he loves to do, when I was a kid I never tore things apart and look at the mechanics of it, it just wasn’t me. And hey if you look at musicians or seriously youtube Two Cellos welcome to the jungle, they are amazing. Two brothers who didn’t like school, they dropped out of it to become cello street performers and are super amazing at it. Or Macklemore always talks about in his songs that people chose a love over a desk when a life lived for art is never a life wasted, and that the american dream is an american scheme. We are all different so we all should have our own opinions of who we want to become whether society praises it or looks down upon it at the end of the day if you love what you are doing I think there’s nothing greater then that.

Or even I remember my philosophy professor saying the best and wisest people he’s ever met were janitors. And I think that’s so true, they always have a smile on their face and they just don’t care about such materialistic earthy things which I envy.

@bricheese63 That’s the greatest way to put it. Especially the whole janitors thing. All of the custodians at my school are like a little gang and they’re always messin’ with each other and they’re all so nice ugh. I just want to be happy with my life. Everyone deserves that.

Yeah I think it’s crazy how nice they are. I know that if I were one of them I would be so bitter and spiteful, anything that has to deal with customer service puts me in a bad mood but they still manage to be really good people. It just makes me so envious x3