goodnightowl said 10 years, 8 months ago:

so during the summer I came out as bisexual to my family and a few close friends, however I didn’t come out to the friends that I felt would be judgmental and not approve of me. I’ve changed my facebook interests to boys and girls and am going to join the GSA this year, i’ve even made a few casual comments that suggest to my friends that I’m bi, however i feel that my friends who would be uncomfortable with my sexuality because of their belief system have kind of ignored all these things I’ve been putting out there. I feel like it’s the elephant in the room between me and a majority of my friends, like they know i’m not straight but refuse to publicly acknowledge it.
Should I confront them and tell them straight out that i’m bi, or do you think letting it slide and go unnoticed is the best thing to do? I would like to be publicly recognized as bisexual, but I also want to keep my friends.

Exia said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Are they really your friends if you can’t trust them, and if they hold you back from living how you want to? I’d say just confront them, because its going to come up sooner or later and if anything bad goes down than at least you know that you didn’t waste your time.

Winchester said 10 years, 7 months ago:

You need friends who can accept you for who you are. If you want to be recognized as bisexual, tell them that. Anyone who is worth being friends with will stick around.

Nicoled said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I think it’s also important to remember that there is far more to us, than our sexuality. Some things are harder for people to accept than others. Our sexuality isn’t always black and white, and either are our relationships. Some friends might need more time to process it than others. But in every relationship, we have things we don’t 100% see eye to eye on. Just because someone doesn’t necessarily approve of your sexual identity, does not mean they can’t or won’t be your friend. And also doesn’t mean that you have to completely deny them, in case it doesn’t go as smoothly as you hope.

Vickie said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Depending on your friends, the way to handling this can go either real right or real left. If you feel like they are the type of people that just rip the bandaid off to get it over it, be direct and tell them. If not, ease them into it. Either way it will come to the light, just depends on when you’re ready enough.

I agree with Nicoled. There is way more to you than just being bisexual. Now if they never come around to realizing that you are still a human being and you haven’t turned into this crazy bisexual monster, then they aren’t people that you need in your life. If they refuse to address it for now, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you happen to be dating the same sex as you, you are allowed to talk about it if you want. As long as 1) No one puts their hands on you 2) calls you out of your name, things should be fine.

SunflowerBlues said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Just tell them straight up :) if they’re good to keep they’ll stick around. if not then you need friends who would acknowledge you and instead of feeling like the elephant in the room.

Goodluck!

Malfuria said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I think you did the right thing with those you feel might not be completely comfortable with it. If you’ve changed your Facebook details and intend to be involved with the GSA, I’m sure they’re aware, they just might not feel the need to bring it up with you. Some might even think you don’t want to make a big deal out of it, and hence haven’t brought it up.

As others have said, people are all different and some might need more time until they feel comfortable discussing it openly with you. Loads of people struggle with their own sexuality, and feel weird talking about it at all. Handling it delicately is the way to go IMO :)

Deleted User said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Just continue to be yourself regardless what they think or anybody else for that matter. All that matters is that you’re happy and content, nevermind about what anyone else has to say or think based on what you do because you’re you, an original, not a copy.

KWatt said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Good for you for coming out, that’s a huge accomplishment! But like everyone has said, I would just be yourself for right now. As long as your friends recognize that you’re happy being you and you’re not changing just because you like the same sex as well then there’s a chance that things won’t get awkward. If they can’t accept you then that’s their problem and they weren’t really your friends to begin with and they weren’t meant to be around long.

Good luck! :)