Pablo said 8 years, 4 months ago:

The troubles with “coming out.” Let’s support each other.

Drakko said 8 years, 4 months ago:

@Pablo

I’m so glad you posted this topic :)
Coming out of the closet can be one the hardest things to do, so hopefully this topic will help people to find their way to coming out, because coming out can be very relieving!

I think this will also make an excellent support for someone who came out who may not have had a good experience, to know that at least here they are 100% supported!

josephbc said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Even though I thought it was rather obvious and figured everyone already knew I was gay, I “officially” came out earlier this year. March actually. Surprise, surprise, everyone basically knew I was gay already so my coming out experience wasn’t difficult whatsoever. There was still members of my family not happy about the idea but at the end of the day, it was no surprise to anyone that I’m into men.

I’m lucky to have a great support system, especially that my four younger siblings and my parents accept my sexuality and aren’t afraid to speak about it freely and support the LGBTQ community alongside me. I know there are many members of the LGBTQ community who aren’t so lucky coming out so I’m beyond blessed and will never take my family for granted and I want other’s to know that maybe the people they surround themselves with may not accept who you are but that doesn’t mean everyone feels the same. There are many people who will support you, whether you know them personally or not.

roxas213 said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Overall I came out to my mother when I was 18 but she already knew. She said as long as im happy thats all that matters. Overall my important family knows and they are happy for me. My family means everything to me and they support me on whoever my boyfriend would be.

Madison said 8 years, 4 months ago:

The key is confidence. Accepting who you are and being proud of it. Just remember that there is nothing wrong with being gay, bisexual, transgender, or anything else. You are not defined by your sexual preference. While it may be hard to come out, just know that the people who really love you will love you regardless. The ones who will think differently of you, are not worth your time. “Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

jetstream said 8 years, 4 months ago:

I agree with the above. Sexual preference is not all you are, you are so much more. Which genders you are or are not attracted to does not change who you are overall nor what you can achieve. You are the only person on this entire planet with your combination of traits and that’s something to be proud of. However, you do not have to ‘come out’ if you do not want to. That is completely up to choice. If you’re afraid you can always take small steps to gather your confidence, as mentioned before, the people who truly matter will back you up. I personally have not ‘come out’ because I’m choosing not to for the same reasons. It doesn’t change who I am. I believe society shouldn’t assume that everyone is straight until they speak otherwise, and so I chose not to come out. I have a friend who believes the same as me and had a smooth time coming out to her parents. Coming out was her choice and I’m proud of her and support her.

kennychiwa! said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Just came out to my sister. It’s just another step forward for me. I’m so glad to know I’m not alone in the world. Thank you for this.

YokoChan said 8 years, 4 months ago:

The only person I came out to, except people online, is my best friend. Her reaction maybe wasn’t very understanding, but she just accepted it like I just told her about the weather or something unimportant like that. I didn’t tell my parents yet that I’m bisexual, but they know about my opinions on sexuality and gender. My dad is actually very homophobic and keeps complaining about homosexual couples in tv shows and etc. At first I kept arguing about it with him but recently I’ve given up and I’d just leave the room whenever he would say something about it. My mum’s opinion is basically that sexuality is private and you shouldn’t HAVE TO tell anyone. So I’m not quite sure how to approach them about it yet.

annie said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Actually, my family is really against the LGBT, they said a lot of offensive things, especialy my sister. Everyone, expect my brother, is really “homophobic”. My brother seems to be quite supportive, and he seems to know that I am bisexual. Though, I am really worried about coming out.

Staceylou said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Be comfortable with who you are, that’s the most important thing. It doesn’t matter who doesn’t accept you, there’ll be just as many who’ll love you regardless of who you’re attracted to. The majority of my male friends and one of my female friends have come out as gay, they are still the same wonderful people I befriended years ago. :)

nuclearmutant said 8 years, 3 months ago:

I wasn’t worried at all when I came out, because I knew my family and friends were all accepting. But it didn’t quite go as I had imagined.
“Guys, I’m a lesbian.”
*laughs* “Whatever you say.”
That was my dad. I guess I was wearing a skirt and my hair was long at the time… friendly reminder: stereotypes hurt!
so I said a bit too loudly “Why, because I’m not some stereotype?!?!??!?!1?”
yeahhh.
but if that’s the worst that happened, I consider myself very lucky. I’m so thankful my friends and family are all amazing people :)
story over

Mason said 8 years, 3 months ago:

I actually came out to both of my parents and regret doing it before I leave for college. My Mom “accepts” me, but refuses to call me by my pronouns or my name. My Dad thinks I’m just going through a phase. I live with my mom and she frequently gives me a hard time, though I suppose she’s a bit more understanding as of late. It pisses me off when she sees a butch lesbian and asks ME if she’s trans*. And all I can say is “How am I supposed to know that, why would you assume that, etc.” And it really, really doesn’t help that when I say I’m uncomfortable with something she goes “Well girls can be uncomfortable with that, too!” like she’s trying to convert me into a girl or something. She’s also been pushing me to come out to the closet to my brother and his wife. There are a million other things my mom (not so much my dad because I live with my mother) has said/done that has made my life much more difficult than it needs to be. What I’m trying to say is, coming out of the closet is hard and apart from those online I haven’t been able to fully come out of the closet to my friends and I’m actually terrified of it. I know my friends are much more understanding than my family (which is ironic because isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?)but with everything I’ve been put through, I’m settled on never telling all of them and just going to college without saying another word. I don’t want to, I love my friends and it’s painful to drift away from them, but I don’t know if I can handle rejection, either.