Mutti said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Well, people venting on blahtheray instead of going to the actual therapist! is it a good idea?

blueberrycheese said 9 years, 4 months ago:

well, not everyone here have an experience about psychology and such, but at least you’re gonna hear people’s honest opinion here, so I suggest you to do both

Simon said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Blahtherapy as a concept and in practice is great and works but it is not comparable to talking to a mental health professional. It doesn’t serve to be a substitute for it especially considering there is access to accredited mental health professionals through this site separate to the vent/ listen feature.

In saying that, there is no problem with people venting or listening to their peers because not every issue would require the attention of a professional. Some people just need someone to listen to them. Someone to relate to them. It then can seemingly appear to be as helpful as seeing a professional but it isn’t the same thing.

rinseandrep said 9 years, 4 months ago:

If you count the professionals you can pay:

http://blahtherapy.com/therapists/

maybe.

If you just mean the vent/listen chat, probably not. A small percent of people pay a therapist just to have someone to talk with, maybe a bit, for those it could be a substitute.

Maria said 9 years, 4 months ago:

In my opinion, BlahTherapy is a good way to vent, but obviously random people in chat are not therapist with a degree. If you are looking for someone to talk to, or just to vent because you cannot stand it no longer, this is the best way to do it.

However, if you need a professional you can always pay the $25 for it and someone specialized will help you.

Lexx♥ said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Well, talking to a therapist with professional degrees is of course helpful, but I believe blahtherapy CAN BE better because you can talk to people your age whom are going through what you are.

twinkletoes101 said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I see two sides to this:
1. for a lot of people going to a therapist is not an option to them due to them wanting to keep things secret and not let their friends and family know. Others might find it too daunting to talk to someone face to face about their problems. For those reasons this site is good as it allows people to get things off their chest from the comfort of their room and remain 100% anonoymous.
2. a therapist is qualified in certain areas and will see you regularly to give you exercises and intense sessions to overcome your issues. The same level of training is not given on this site. But I do believe the concept is gooc and will help people but not as much as a therapist would.