NotSafeForTwerk said 9 years, 5 months ago:

*****This is all new to me, the talking about it thing. Try to bear with me if you will. This is going to be a lengthy read, so consider this a warning in case you want to bail.*****

The feelings I am dealing with aren’t exactly new, I’ve gone through cycles all my life, they simply build up over time. I am usually the the person for my friends to lean on. Most everyone I know comes to me for help with issues, I rarely reach out to vent to anyone about my thoughts or problems, not for fear of how they’d see me, but most people seem to disappear when I look for reassurance. I grew adept at holding it in and trying my best to not let people see that I am dealing with deep seeded issues. It is crippling, and I used to believe I had an infinite reservoir to drown these feelings of inadequacy and self-doubt. However, recent events have shown me just how deep the cracks run.

I was with a woman for 8 years of my life, and weeks before our anniversary she had contacted an ex of hers. Normally this wouldn’t bother me, but she began spending an ungodly amount of time talking with him and hanging out with him. I am no stranger to cheating, in fact every relationship I have been in ended that way, so I am very familiar with the signs. The day finally came where she admitted she had slept with him, on the day it had happened. There was a lot of tears, a lot of yelling, but in the end I agreed to try and work on things. She was honest with me and came clean when it happened. I had one stipulation out of all of this: That she cut ties with him, at least until I could get over the crap that happened. But this was far from the end of it.
It wasn’t long before she went out to friends “get togethers,” oddly with one person I had never met or heard of before. I knew right away what was going on, but I never accused her of anything. She started growing colder, getting annoyed with me more easily, spending less time with me. She started asking weird questions like “Do you believe in soul mates?” or “Where would you go if we broke up?” I am no stranger to the signs of a break-up. I tried being more romantic, being more attentive, being up front about my feelings. I didn’t want to lose her, but it felt all for naught. I started to internalize what was happening. I couldn’t talk to her without her getting angry that I was insinuating she was cheating. I couldn’t turn to my friends cause they didn’t want to hear it or implied that I enjoyed the attention from being pitied. I became heavily withdrawn and depressed, something I feel I never really recovered from. I made myself to believe it was all my fault that this was happening. If I was more attractive, more fun, a better person, less weird… I felt like I was her silver medal. Second best to this guy who she hadn’t spoken to in almost a decade.
I’m not sure where it happened, but eventually I stopped caring and just became numb. I was no longer constantly sad, but I could no longer feel anything. I stopped loving her. I think when this happened she noticed, cause she tried fixing things between us, but I had no energy left. I started to become annoyed with her affections, started to want to stay alone and lay in bed. Eventually I began to see how damaging I was being to her and decided to terminated things between us. We stayed friends, at least I wanted to stay friends. She still pressed to get back together, even when I told her I didn’t have feelings for her. She still tries. The thing is I don’t feel numb to just her now. I feel this way about everything. Like a strangling apathy that keeps me from enjoying or feeling about anything. Everything seems trivial, even my relationships with close friends and family. I find myself giving reactions to things I think a person would have to situations, but I genuinely don’t feel anything. It is almost as if I am an observer monitoring life around me, never actually interacting with it, never having anything at stake in it, just watching everyone and wondering how they find their zeal for life. How do they find the drive to keep going.
I don’t know how to classify what I am going through, nor do I even know how to get over it, lord knows I have tried. Some days are good, I have a semblance of feeling happy, but then I recoil not long after. I feel torn between feeling like a robot or feeling like I am wallowing in sadness. I just, I dunno, need to know I am not alone. That other people have dealt with this and turned out ok, because I feel like this is just going on forever and I don’t know how to crawl out of it or if there even is a way to. I have heard talking about things helps, which is why I am posting this, but I don’t have anyone in real life I can talk to for reasons mentioned above, or because I don’t want to scare them. I am not suicidal, I’d never kill myself, I just don’t see the point to being alive. At least not when all you feel like is a shell, inconsequential to the world, just there.

I’ll end myself her, I think I have already dragged this on too long, and for that I apologize. A side note, I am in no way saying I am innocent, that I never did anything wrong in our relationship. There is two sides to every story, and I am a bit biased to mine. The things that happened very well might be all my fault and I deserve the way I have become. I am just getting tired of holding it in, keeping it to myself, and letting it fester and rot my soul. Thank you for listening/reading in ay case.

Ellie said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Hello, and thank you for sharing :)
First of all, let me just say that you deserve someone to hear you out and understand your feelings. Your friends should be there for you, like you are with them and be more supportive. So I suggest the first thing to do is talk to them about what’s troubling you on their behaviour and make them understand that you’re human and sometimes you want to share your problems with them, and there’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s what friendship is about after all. Giving and receiving.

As for your girlfrind, I agree that it’s for the best that this relationship ended because it was dragging you both down.
As you said, I haven’t heard both sides of the story, so I can’t really blame either of you, but what I can tell you is that your relationship was bound to end from the moment she cheated.
She handled things wrong and she definately shouldn’t have cheated on you and it’s perfectly understandable that you grew distant from her. Don’t blame yourself about how things turned out. You shouldn’t be the silver metal of anyone in your life and you definately deserve better.

And you’ve been through a lot so feeling numb is understandable. But I am positive that you will regain your energy and your passion for life. All you have to do is feel more self confident. The fact that your relationship didn’t work out, doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with you. It means it just wasn’t meant to be and maybe you weren’t meant for eachother.

From what you’ve said -even by the way you write-I get the feeling you’re the type of person that’s always there for others and you keep pushing yourself to be stronger, calmer, and more understanding than your friends so that you can be the one who helps them through their problems (and I can tell, cause I’m like that too).And I believe you did the same with your girlfriend. You were more understanding and tolerated more things than you should.
But don’t forget you’re human as well, and you have the right to not feel well and seek help from your friends when you need it. It’s in no way selfish. You’re their friend, not their phycologist and they should also be there for you. You don’t owe anyone anything.

So my advice is: Get more self confident, talk to your friends (even if you fight, that’s good. Sometimes it’s a way to solve things), find a new activity to do and push yourself to do stuff that by the end of the day will make you feel that you’ve accomplished something. For example go to gym, learn a new language, learn a musical instrument, do some volunteer work, spend some quality time with your family or loved ones.

I believe that what you need right now is to realise your self worth. You seem like a really great person, who’s been through alot and I’m sure you are very valuable to some people. And this is why you should regain your passion for life. Because you seem like the kind of guy who can really accomplish great things.
Good luck and take care of yourself.

NotSafeForTwerk said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you, Ellie. Your words really do help. I feel I have always had a self worth issue that I have tried to break. I’ve grown used to impermanence, and through a variety of instances began to feel disposable. I want to focus on myself, I just don’t know how to get out of this funk to be self sufficient. I hope this is just something I need to let run it’s course.