Ash said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Is this an intuitive thing or a logic thing? Are there particular symptoms of finding ‘your true love’? When you meet someone you like and have been dating for a while, and you feel like they’re ‘the one’ intuitively, is it guaranteed they’re going to feel the same? Do both people have to agree on this before they can conclude that they have found their true love in each other, or is it an individual conclusion to come to? Why does this matter? I’m a 16 year old, can anyone explain to me why I’m concerned with this, because I’m scared of the concept of dating, marriage or babies. so why do I of all people care about true love? Any answers or commentaries to these questions would be much appreciated, and any hypotheses are welcome. You shall not be judged, an I pinky swear to at least consider your point and think about it if you give me an answer to my burning question!!

Johan said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Hello Ash,

I’ve been in the same thoughts as you and I had to go through some deep lessons with this to understand it better. I hope my input can help somehow.

I don’t think it is good to get too caught up in the concept of “the one” even though I am sure there are people out there (more than one!) that will go really well together with you. It is also not something two people can just “agree” on either, it is naturally happening when it is. Marriage and babies doesn’t have to do anything with “the one” either. Especially not when you are 16 years old. I am 23 now and neither my girlfriend or I thinks about that yet.

To answer your first question: For me it is mainly an intuitive thing. It certainly starts out as that. Then as you go along and grow together any logical things will be more apparent and you can chose whether logical things matter. Such as common interests, similar ages etc. In the end it does not matter. You and the person could have completely different interests and you could still be in love and let the other enjoy his/her interests. Maybe you even find new perspectives from it.

In the end it just feels right and it resonates logically too if that is important and if it is meant to be it will be. Even “the one” you are with might not be that forever. There are MANY “the ones” out there! I went through 2 relationships where I thought I met the one but I also fooled myself a bit in my efforts to find that person. It doesn’t end well if you are not honest with yourself.

Just relax and love yourself and it will come to you naturally. If you click with someone naturally you can always go on dating. Today I am with a girl that resonates with me super well and I could not have been where I am if not the past experiences helped me to learn and become more aware of myself. We are both young, enjoy your ride. You will find true love as long as you truly love yourself :)

I hope that helps in any way.

Take care,
Johan

The Curious One said 10 years, 3 months ago:

i wondered about that too, i thought “will i feel completely different and totally in love like I’ve never felt before?” and tell you the truth I’m not sure. I think That you should love your significant other but if you have felt love before than it should be more of a comforting familiar feeling.

Thanks my take on it, :)

Gomi500 said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Hello Ash. Damn good question. Ive been a relationship for three years but I honestly dont feel like she is the one. I guess maybe its the one that you treat truly diffrent from the others in your life.

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Hello, if you don’t mind me chiming in,

I believe it’s dependent on what kind of person you are and what you NEED, not what you WANT. Haha, I learned that the hard, but funny way.

Some people need people who complement them. Others work best with someone who has the same habits and routines. Some people have friends like them, and think that that works just fine, but then they run into someone who ends up being “the one” who turns out to be what they needed all along.

I was the person who had many different friends, but who needed someone closer to how I was so they could keep up with me but with a few differences to keep it interesting and keep my mind thinking.

My boyfriend now is the one. He told me he just knew already because of how well we worked together. I was surprised because of how he was completely not what I was looking for. I slowly realized, though, that he was what I needed. And that’s how I knew he was the right one for me.

When it comes down to it, it can start with what you want, but just be open to things, because you may not know what you really need.

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

i dont think your ever really know 100% whether she/he is the one, i think only like after a big big fight/seperation and what happens then decides if she/he is the one lol
i also personally believe for guys you cant find the one until like your 25 or something, as your dick precedes your brain no matter what you say!!!!!!!!

Bruna said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I love this quote from a movie, for me defines perfectly how should be a relationship: It’s that thing when you’re with someone and you love them and they know it and they love you and you know it but it’s a party and you’re both talking to other people and you’re laughing and shining and you look across the room and catch each other’s eyes. But not because you’re possessive, or it’s precisely sexual, but because that is your person in this life and it’s funny and sad but only because this life will end and it’s this secret world that exists right there. In public. Unnoticed. That no one else knows about. It’s sort of like how they say that other dimensions exist all around us but we don’t have the ability to perceive them. That’s what I want out of a relationship. Or just life, I guess.

Minky said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I don’t really believe in the concept of “the one”.
I think there are probably numerous people in the world you could have a good relationship with, but you will not meet them all obviously. But when you are in a relationship with someone and you feel at ease with them, you can talk about everything, you can have fun together , you help each other grow, you have the same ideas about what’s important in life, you sort of have the same future plans or general outline, when there’s mutual trust and respect … Then i think you can be assured you’ve found a great companion. (:

Poison Ivy said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Well, for me it was quite simple.

I am a highly non-social person. Everybody get’s on my nerves one time or other.

My husbans never grates on my nerves, well, not deeply anyway. So yeah, first person in my whole life that I was able to stand 24/7 without wanting to rip his head off…

I am such a romantic….

The Author said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Gotta love that definition, Poison Ivy. If I could give you a cookie for that, I would.

I’m still young, so it’s probably too soon to be thinking of it yet, but in my head, I think of someone who I trust completely and who feels warm to hold, even when they’re cold.

imdown said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I am pretty young too, but I don’t believe in the concept of a soul mate. If you two have similar goals and values that won’t get in the way in the future, if you two are willing to compromise for each other, and you two love each other. If you two are willing to keep trying, and keep re-establishing the relationship, and grow with each other using the other person as a rock, then i would say that person may as well be “the one”

Ink Dancer said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Soul mates depress me. I don’t want half a soul. If I did have a soulmate, they probably died being born halfway across the world. I don’t believe in a set fate. I believe you meet someone, and you fall in love, and you grow together in the way so that you’re happy partners. My theory is a bit scary, because it means you’re in control, but I like my chances of actually finding a ‘soul mate’. Did you know the idea of soul mates was that we had 8 limbs, 2 heads, and one soul, but the gods thought we were too powerful, and split us in half? It sure would explain why people get so lonely.

Deleted User said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I personally don’t believe that “There is One True Love for Everyone” idea but many do and I’m not going to step on someone’s beliefs. I believe that there is love in the world. You can love your family, you can love your friends, and you could love your pets. I have found that the whole True Love thing is hard to define. I don’t think there is any way to tell when its going to happen. When you meet someone and really get know them, you’ll want things to be serious. It might be a total leap of faith when referring them to “The One” but people do it. I’m sixteen too and feel that you can find a person who you love that you would not hold back from their dreams, and they wouldn’t hold you back from yours. This person could probably be similar to the another from the 7 billion out there but, if you like them, why not just embrace it? It may not work out, you might even be involved in a failed marriage, but it’s up to you.

Vivid Melody said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Well I would hope the feeling would be mutual if the couple really was meant to be together.

Just because you’re young doesn’t mean you don’t care about love. You’re hardly a child. Everyone wants love in some fashion – even if it’s not the romantic kind. It’s a very real human need so it makes sense that it would be on your mind and also because you haven’t experienced a romantic relationship yet I assume? You probably just want to be prepared.

I think you learn a lot through dating about what you want and what you don’t want. Who is compatible with you and who is not. I think a person that is right for you will be compatible with you and it will be someone who will bring out the best in you as you do in them. It certainly doesn’t hurt to share the same values either. You’ll be each other’s best friend (ideally).

Anyways, yes – I do believe it’s sort of an unspoken thing or what some people refer to as “chemistry” initially. So it is both intuitive and logical though some people are more naturally intuitive and/or logical than others…so everyone is going to view these things and terms differently.

What matters is that you are both certain and committed. I think if someone is unsure if the person they are with is “the one” they need to review their doubts and examine why they have them so they don’t wind up investing in a person who they aren’t really good with. It’s not fair to you or the other person to do that. Yes, you can learn a lot through experiences but that doesn’t mean you can’t use wisdom.