Deleted User said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Do girls/women actually find intelligence attractive in a potential partner or do they really just mean a certain degree of intelligence that will allow the man to reach a particular standing in society?

I mean, if you took a top physics professor and a medical doctor who had exactly the same level of attractiveness in terms of physical appearance and personality, most women would probably go for the medical doctor because of his societal standing and the respect associated with his profession despite the fact most people would agree that working at the frontiers of theoretical physics requires far more raw intelligence than is required to be a doctor.

Also, from my experience, women rarely actually want to discuss anything that would be considered “intellectual”. They say they like “intelligence” and “smart guys” yet they never bring up any particular intellectually stimulating conversations nor to they ever seen too keen to engage in one that you get going.

OpenTalk said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I think women, like men, each appreciate different things. Some might gravitate towards intelligent, while others may see it as tertiary to their needs in a partner. We’re all different like that.

I honestly don’t think being intelligent is seen as a detriment to anyone. It’s not as though people being passed over because they happen to be smart. Unless, that is, the superiority they wear on their chest from being smart also happens to make them intolerable to be around. Intelligence, like most personal attributes, is good to have and off-putting to flaunt.

I’d also like to say that it is important not to generalize any groups. There will always be men and women who are interested in partaking in intellectually stimulating conversation. You just need to find them.

Some girls are only money chasers and they will go for whoever they think will have the most money. (and yes, doctors make an feing amount of money each year, my dads one so should know.) but, my dads also a complete jerk and I’m not particular fond of him.
Honestly, (and this is only for me don’t go putting these words into other women’s mouths.) I would rather a guy who cares about me and my family than a rich guy. But I also will not deny that, put a two guys that are exactly the same, personalities, looks, everything the same except finance and there one is richer than the other, right next to each other I would chose the richer guy. just saying. If I can have a sweet, caring, gentle guy, plus financial security . . . what more could I ask for?

Here is just a funny link to what some girls (not all) want in a guy. I agree with more of them.

Katie said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I love men who are smart enough to hold an interesting conversation with me about anything. As long as he has some sort of mindset on something he wants to do with his life, no matter how many different things it is, that’s usually attractive enough for me.

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Yes, but women are not a uniform group, they are individuals with individual tastes just like men. Just as you aren’t identical to another male, so women aren’t identical.

Look for women attracted to intelligence and you will find them.

From personal experience, many do.

Pro Daydreamer said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Personally I don’t need like a professor or a doctor or someone with a really high degree it doesn’t actually matter that much for me just someone with like the same mentality as me…but some girls do find intelligence in guys attractive it just depends on the girl…

Red Sheep said 9 years, 8 months ago:

As everyone said, each woman has her view: there are types that find smart and intelligent men attractive, and other women that look at other things. Personally, when I find a man who is intelligent without having a “I’m smarter than you” attitude, I think he’s pretty attractive, but until he’s not a total dumb, other men can be interesting.

When i meet a smart guy, one that can have conversations about the world and things that are important and actually knows what he is talking about, I find that so attractive. I want to find a guy who is actually going to go places in life, it makes him more attractive to me. I want a guy with the same level of intelligence as me rather than me being significantly smarter than him.

Rogue said 9 years, 8 months ago:

omg im like instantly drawn to them *_* like being hypnotized lol

Swifting said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I look for a significant other who has intelligence equal to or greater than mine. Not because I can necessarily have a stimulating conversation about something they have an interest in; but because survival tells me that I need someone who can survive on their own if left to their own devices. Pay bills, order and prepare food, maintain property, etc; is all important to have an understanding of.

That being said – I don’t expect my significant other to carry out a conversation in an area that I have interest in that he has little or no interest.

Common ground is important. And just because I don’t bring up a stimulating conversation often doesn’t mean that I’m not capable of doing so.

BrokenArrow said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Intelligence is relative. I know you’ve given specific examples.. i.e. doctor vs professor, but it’s probably way more varied than that. Aside from people having different personalities, people also think a certain types of smart are more intelligent, or at least it is what that perceive as such. I wouldn’t discount a doctor over a professor or vice versa just because of their educational training, same as I also would not belittle someone as being unintelligent because they were in the music industry or a barista instead of a astrophysicist. Personally I value common sense over intelligence, as they somewhat are similar and go hand in hand, but not always. Being a doctor does not make you smart or intelligent to everyone. As a rocket scientist may scoff and say “pfew, those weirdos, they don’t know a darn thing about nothin’”.

*shrug*

Silver Wind said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Honestly, intelligence is such a wide spectrum that it could include almost anyone. Intelligent conversations could include a clever conversation with quips and such, or it could be an in depth conversation about a single topic. I personally am attracted to men who are socially intelligent. Like they know who they are and they are confident in that, but they also pick up on social cues and know how to act in certain situations. I dont really care if i could have an in depth conversation about this one specific thing, maybe a thought provoking topic on a broad thing that i know about, such as space

soulfaeri said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Attraction is different for everyone in different times of their lives. I believe that there are times when we need someone who is more caring than intelligent and then other times when we need that intelligence. Whether it is in physics or anatomy depends on what the girl is more fascinated with. I don’t think it is based as much on the occupation as it is his approach and social skills. That does not mean he should have good social skills. Personally, I am attracted to men who are not socially adept. Which might be why I have a tough time finding someone. Smooth guys turn me off because I get the vision of them saying the same thing to a million other girls.

The Curious One said 9 years, 8 months ago:

All girls are different but i think to some degree we all look for the same things in a guy. intelligence is one of those things ,but some girls want a socially intelligent guy that knows how to act when, while some may not like that that. Others look for academic intelligence, because they what to have scholarly conversations with that guy, while that could bore others. So yes girls in general want intelligent guys but in different ways for different reasons.