Cait said 10 years, 2 months ago:

So me and my ex broke up last March, and we basically stopped talking after i got a new boyfriend in April, and we haven’t talked since. Lately, for some reason, i’ve found myself missing him. Not in a romantic way, but we were really good friends before/while we were going out, and i miss his friendship a lot. I’m still with my boyfriend from april, so i’m not sure if reaching out to him is a good idea (even if it is just as a friends) for multiple reasons. One, what if he has no interests in being friends anymore? Two, what if my current bf has a problem with it? What if the friendship goes south just like the relationship did? Keep in mind that it’s almost a year since we broke up and we’ve talked maybe twice…

Riss said 10 years, 2 months ago:

The hard part is that the more you spend time with them, the more you could find yourself falling in love with them all over again and forgetting all the bad things that happened. So, it depends on the couple, I think. And the boundaries they set for themselves. I’d say it’s really difficult to do, but not impossible.

Liz said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I had the same issue. For instance this one guy I went out with, we dated for 2 months and we both thought the relationship was not going too well. Just hope that your ex has realized that you weren’t working out and it’s time to move on. But you also have to realize that you have totally moved on. It will also help if your bf is there helping you get through this. He may not approve but then he will at least know what’s going on.

czshadow said 10 years, 2 months ago:

It all depends, I have exes that I can be friends with and exes that I love I can not be friends with. There is to much hurt for that. It would throw a red flag for me if you weren’t already friends with him before your boyfriend. Let me also tell you as a guy, if there is a chance to get romantic with an ex, and I am not with someone, I am going to take it.

becausemeagan said 10 years, 2 months ago:

In my opinion I think you want some closure from your ex. Maybe you don’t realize it because when we tend to find someone good for is we tend to want to fix our flaws of our past. And, as for is it a good idea…well again in my opinion I don’t think it is. I tried going down that road before and my boyfriend did not like that. He also put it in perspective for me. That’s just opinion but most times it doesn’t go the way you think.

swap said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Its the best relationship in which you are true friends first…..but being friends after breaking up is a big no-no….sure u can meet up with him once a year or things like that if its a casual meeting…but i dont think u can be best of friends again…its better for both

SamBurke said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I can tell you it’s possible: I’m actually best friends with my Ex, and there isn’t a problem at all. BUT, and this is a big huge but, there are some special circumstances.

We parted as a mutual agreement that we were horrible as partners, but great as friends. We’d started out as friends, and tried to move up, and it didn’t work.

Second, we gave each other a ton of space first: I spent about 4 months not talking to her, ever, just to make sure there weren’t going to be issues.

Third, she’s found the perfect guy for her, and me the perfect girl. Which means that we really don’t have issues talking, or getting advice.

So, the things I think are necessary? 1. A removal of previous attachment. You can’t be friends with someone if you’ve still got pain from loving them. 2. Something preventing future attachment. Be that distance, new SOs, mutual agreement, or as I’d advise, several things, you need a way to make sure your friendship stays friendly. No benefits, no strings, just friends.

That’s my opinion at least! :D

MichaelValentine said 10 years, 2 months ago:

It’s a chance that has odds of failing.

I hate my Ex cause she left me and got a “better” boyfriend and I still love her. I can never be her best friend again. Every time I try to be civil it pains me from seeing her new life that I’m not a part of. I lost everything.

So yeah. No friendship.

junichiroe said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Well I guess it depends but well I have found an pain from seeing the people of whom use to be more turn into people who are less and being reminded it could have been more.

MarjaElisa said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I’m friends with my EX and we broke up only a month ago. I think it’s possible because I don’t have romantic feelings for him anymore. Actually we get along better now, so maybe we were just meant to be friends, not partners :D

helpful lover said 10 years, 2 months ago:

you can be friends with an ex.. it is possible. my ex and i have a very complicated history and he is a complete asshole, but he was also one of my best friends at a time. so it may take a while to get to the comfortable friend stage but it is definitely possible!

iluvtrees said 10 years, 2 months ago:

It’s not easy talking to your former “cheesy.” :)
I broke up with him 4 years ago, missing him very much. I never thought I would break up with him. It was difficult. Talking to him at first was hard. He wanted to blame me for a lot. By the third year he knew I was not coming back. I kept the conversation pleasant, and it got easier.