Angel Demon said 9 years, 9 months ago:

The 5 minute disconnection detection is what I have observed through my listening times as a common approximation of the time it takes for the system to detect when a user seemingly ceases activity or leaves for any reason, or simply doesn’t know what to say before the system says ‘ok, there’s lack of activity so the user must be disconnected.’ Perhaps it is only me, but I have had legitimate disconnections after a conversation where the system informs me immediately rather than waiting for a full 5 minute lack of activity. It seems to me that if either side is inactive for 5 or 6 minutes without typing anything, the system decides that it is a disconnection. That’s what it has seemed to be through my experiences anyways.

(◣_◢)Poet said 9 years, 9 months ago:

i only want two things at this time:

age options for the chat. as much as i appreciate that there are helpful teenagers out there, it usually becomes a waste of my time to vent to people that are still in their teens as they can’t relate or don’t know what to say so they say something like: “hang in there, you just have to be positive”…which is somewhat true but i just spent five minutes telling them about how rent is due and hours have been cut back and i’m losing ambition, what the fuck do i do? lol. So i’d like to be able to give myself a shot at letting others help me by being able to choose listeners of appropriate age. I don’t vent as much as it is before i feel like no one is much help for my mind, but for when i do, the feature would be appreciative.

Second…a damn reply box at the bottom of the page. If a topic guys five pages, i have to click through each page before i can hit a reply button.

Angel Demon said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Being able to select the page number before having to scroll all the way down the thread would be appreciated. As in; instead of there only being a page selection at the bottom of the thread, there should be one at the top of the thread as well to make it easier to navigate.

The Author said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I think there are a lot of problems with the changes suggested for chat. For instance, I’ve met chronically immature 27 year olds and very switched-on 17 year olds. It’s easy to pigeon-hole people, but if you do that then you’ll probably also shut out people who could be very helpful.

Regarding the chat, I’ve found a few people who I’ve got on very well with, even if it is very hit and miss. Of more concern to me are some of the utter wankers floating around the forums and Q&A section, which are a large part of the reason that I only pop up here occasionally.

Riss said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I think the mobile app and journal additions alone would take this site to the next level. How many times have we found ourselves in undesirable situations or moods and have not been near a computer?

As for the journals… writing is a therapeutic practice, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who would prefer to type in an online journal than to write my thoughts out in an old-fashioned diary. The only way I could see that being problematic is when users do not keep themselves private. Because of that, I think having the option to makes posts public or private would be essential to the journal application’s success.

But definitely. I think this site would benefit from a few changes. @amlife100, I think you’re spot on.

Beast said 9 years, 9 months ago:

hmm….Nice Insights..

BlahTherapy Moderation said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Keep all responses civilized.

said 9 years, 8 months ago:

@rinseandrep Concerning the mobility – I believe they mean mobile as in format, not necessarily the ability to connect. Like a Blahtherapy app. A couple examples: you can’t see the entire blue bar unless you zoom out but at that point it’s so tiny you can barely press the right button. There’s lots of maneuvering in every direction because it won’t resize to fit the phone screen. They may be simple things like that but it can get extremely annoying for those of us who use blah on phones way more than a computer.

Also, I agree that the chat hub would be a huge mess because of the varying strengths in connections. It’s format also has it’s issues.

It’s not very high the list of things to change, but I think that’s okay. I’d rather more important things get fixed before making a mobile friendly site/app.

forgetmyname said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I agree fundamentally.

I joined with a different account and the chat would deconnect me all the time.

Rates would be really good.

I’m one person who uses my phone a lot so a mobile app could come in handy.

I just feel like I was totally ignored with the fact that I was struggling. I found some help somewhere else and I’m doing okay. But I would have liked to get more from the chat. I really liked this one girl and our chat disconnected. I don’t know why, but I was upset cause she had started helping me.

I find the suggestions you mentioned would really improve the site majorly. I like the journal idea.

Angel Demon said 9 years, 8 months ago:

It’d be great if there were restrictions on linking webpages on the site as well, because it’s becoming infested with ‘online marketers’. I feel this feature should be one of the first to be implemented, otherwise this site will be doomed to being spammed by these people, rendering it completely crippled.

becausemeagan said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I could not agree more.

For starters, I like that anonymous chat about what’s going on.
The issue I personally have and EVERYONE attacks me for is the
fact that some “listeners” are not very good at being listeners. Here is why. I get it is just a voluntary help. And I like the effort people do put in. However, some people come for the entertainment of it or to just hear the problem and it’s annoying.
I tested this several times with really simple issues. And one person just said “sorry I gotta to” and “I have no idea how to help you”. It bothered me that they didn’t show support or effort to try. So tell me I’m wrong. Idc. But “listeners” should be actively supportive at least. Even if they don’t know how to help.

As for mobility. That of course would be nice! I am only at a lap top for work or for classes. So it would be nice to help via app!
I agree with a lot of your points to say the least.

Dealing With It said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I think a chatroom for everyone similar to instant messaging would be nice. Forums are awesome for long-term discussions, and Venting is great to talk to one person about important things, but I think an actual chatroom would be fun for people who just want to talk to other people without waiting to see if they get your message. It’s like the difference between Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger. Also, private chatrooms you can set up that will be deleted when you’re done with them. For instance:

Person 1: Oh blah blah blah I like sports.
Person 2: Oh blah blah blah I like art.
P1: Me too blah blah blah.
P2: That’s cool blah blah blah.

P1 FRIENDED P2 12 SECONDS AGO.

P2: Yay!
P1: So I’ve been on here 3 years.
P2: This is my second week.
P1: Really? What brought you to BlahTherapy?
P2: …
P2: …Can I talk to you in private?

In this situation, Private Messaging would not be practical, because you would need to keep refreshing the page to see if they’ve replied yet. But with cheap, disposable rooms available…

P1: Sure!

P1 CREATED A ROOM.
P1 INVITED P2.
P2 ENTERED THE ROOM.

P1: So, where were we?

30 minutes later…

P2: Thank you so much!
P1: You’re welcome. Bye!

P2 LEFT THE ROOM.
P1 LEFT THE ROOM.
ROOM “PRIVATE TALK” WAS DELETED.

Or…

P2 LEFT THE ROOM.
P1 SAVED THE ROOM UNDER “PRIVATE TALK” TO BE ACCESSED LATER.
P1 LEFT THE ROOM.

Of course, the rooms would be monitored, just like the forums and community chat room would be.

I think it would also be helpful to have the “Chat With Strangers” option open to the BlahTherapy community.

You would enter whatever you would prefer someone had experience with (i.e. “Dating and Relationships, Depression, Grieving”) and whoever had the best match would be selected. If multiple people had the same relevancy, Venter may choose person (i.e. “Dating and Relationships, Grieving” vs. “Grieving, Depression”). Aliases would still be in effect, as in the Strangers Chat. I think this would help much more than Forums for short-term help. If you were to post, “I feel so upset right now” and didn’t get a response for hours when you didn’t feel upset anymore, what good would that do? Or if you were venting, and your Listener didn’t know anything about what you were saying, you’d be pretty ticked off, especially if you got a whole string of clueless Listeners.

I think that as a whole these things would make BlahTherapy better.

Tinay <3 said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I want an online app for this one.

Deleted User said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I agree with all you said 100% but I still think if a person wants to stay anonymous they should be anonymous, even if they do have a account. I still think the whole problem should be dealt with. And I have come across many fake venters; they copy and paste a whole paragraph, adds a link and says that whoever that shining photoshopped person through the link is them, what do their faces have to do with their stories even if they aren’t fake!? People should stop mistaking this site for a frikin dating site. Many have also insulted me because of my nationality. Nationality has nothing to do with me personally !! And I know that when someone judges you on your gender, sexuality, nationality, religion or age that they are narrow minded people that could seriously hurt someone emotionally.

rinseandrep said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I agree that when they link to external photos is weird but keep in mind that with all the disconnections and troll listeners, sometimes people copy paste previous things they typed because they didn’t get to actually talk about it.