Ash said 7 years, 4 months ago:

I have a few friends who are just obsessed and insecure with their own and everyone else’s bodies. Everytime I switch topics, it always ends up back on “omg look at her! she has such a beautiful body! I mean look at those curves!” They don’t talk to anyone else like that, just me, because we’re a tight group of best friends since childhood, but me and another 2 of them have had a history of bulimia because we were all jealous of this naturally skinny girl who was winning a lot of pageants.
I got over this by learning not to care about my body at all, but they had other coping mechanisms, I guess. So for example, Everytime we go to a store, they tend to just see how thin the clothes make them look, rather than how good the clothes are themselves. I feel like this obsession with bodies and physique is mostly only with girls, as when I talk to my guy friends, they’re not as insecure, but their girlfriends are. Why is it that girls are so insecure with themselves that they feel the need to constantly just talk about that?

Blackpea said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Hi ash, Having a hot body is every girls dream….
and girls are obsess on this kinda matter because they demands attention .. (especially from men).
Btw, i dont think “insecure” is a right term to be used..
They are not insecure, they are in envy of those slim ladies.

In my point of view, no use drawing attention by looks, although first impression is important, but they wont last long.

Just keep a healthy figure, (not obese or too skinny) , a sincere smile and a good personality. Its much more real and better then those barbie girls. You has no idea how much inhuman stuff they did to themselves just because of curves and all.

Be yourself, no point being a copycat when you’re just unique and original.

Deleted User said 7 years, 4 months ago:

I mean guys can feel insecure too, they just tend not to flaunt it.
Some girls do this to earn more acceptance on their looks. Others do it, because the pressure of how to look as a attractive female gets to them. I guess that they can’t cope with that.

And they have probably spent way too many hours, looking and thinking about other girls looks.

It’s quite sad actually, girls are amazing. It’s about self acceptance and an being indifferent to all these body-ideals.

AlphaSagittarii said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Hey there ash, I find myself asking this question sometimes too, but I think is has a lot to do with media and what a person is raised to believe. I was raised in a small, sheltered town where my parents stood behind me and taught me self love early on. A lot of girls that I know who have this tendency to envy thinner girls or starve themselves I’ve noticed really seek acceptance from some one or everyone, they want to me accepted, they NEED it. Of course the media with all of its pressures and focus on fitting everyone into a mold is a major contributor to these behavioral pattern. A large reason men do not often fall into these tendencies is because the media has not forced it down their throat that to be loved they need to look a certain way, eat -or lack there of- a certain way or be a certain way to fit in as it has with women. The reason, I feel that girls constantly talk about their flaws is to give someone the chance to say other wise, its like fishing for compliments on a photo on facebook, its so they can feel like they are accepted and fit into that mold that they starve themselves to do. I have to say I am incredibly amazed and proud that you realized you don’t have to do this to yourself and that you can love yourself as you are, I’ve met very few who really come back from that.

becausemeagan said 7 years, 4 months ago:

As girls we see other people getting attention and people caring about “better looking” people. But even pretty people have their troubles too. It’s hard to be happy with yourself. Girls tend to pick at themselves more too because of guys. So we tend to just have tons of pressure on ourselves.

Cee said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Because the media gives them this false idea of what is beautiful and what a women “should” look like. It makes them constantly pick at themselves and compare themselves to all the women on tv and magazines. They can be happy and feel beautiful no matter what size they are. They need to work on loving themselves and the skin they are in, you only get one body.
I wish I could tell them and tell you all how beautiful you are.

Lizzy said 7 years, 4 months ago:

I think it might also have to do with people they are surrounded by and what they say. When you have people saying that you’re fat or that you’re ugly, you start to agree with them and become insecure.

Princen said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Girls’ bodies are held to standards that are often unrealistic for almost anyone. Everyone has a different body shape and a different healthy weight range. I think this quote basically sums it up, “Now every girl is expected to have Caucasian blue eyes, full Spanish lips, a classic button nose, hairless Asian skin with a California tan, a Jamaican dance hall ass, long Swedish legs, small Japanese feet, the abs of a lesbian gym owner, the hips of a nine-year-old boy, the arms of Michelle Obama, and doll tits.” Girls are often so insecure about their bodies because they think that it’s the only important thing about themselves and that in life they have to look desirable as possible.

Catrinmm23 said 7 years, 4 months ago:

I blame society. Magazines and advertisements say “you have to be skinny but curvy, just perfect or else youre not pretty” Girls cant seem to love their bodies because society says they shouldn’t

Anna said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Ash, I think its a normal thing for a girl to feel insecure. they feel like that because saw or knew someone who is better than them. they feel like “aww, why can’t I be like her?”.just dont let the insecurities makes you feel self-esteem. you should learn from it though. make yourself better than whoever that you think you want to be in her shoes but not by copying that girl act or style. you can start by developing new changes in your life style. if people criticize you, dont let it make yr confident level down but make the criticize as your supporter in becoming better and prove them they are wrong. i know it sounds hard to do but it worth a try. you are you, not someone else and be proud of yourself cause there’s only you in this world.