sugary said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Hi everyone, I’m 16 this year and I struggle with some self-esteem issues. I never like what I see in the mirror: I’m too short, too fat and too unattractive. I constantly compare myself to the supermodels I see on tumblr and magazines and then proceed to feel bad about myself. I cry myself to sleep almost every night. How do I stop this painful ritual? Thank you for reading this x

Deleted User said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Hey i’m in the same situation, although i like to think i’m more accepting of myself now. I know that still when i am near a mirror i kind of shy away and although its taking time and effort and while load of support of my friends i am slowly getting better, i no longer feel like just being sick when i see my reflection.I think its just gonna take time and patience for you to accept your own body and to accept that the way the world sees you isnt the same way you see yourself. Everyone is made to look unique, its my philospohy that is my friends love and and accept me then why cant i accept myself. They always talk about how ugly they are even when they’re not and i keep thinking this must be what they feel like when i talk about how ugly and potato like i am. Keep going and keep believing that eventually you’ll love yourself, because it will happen eventually. I mean i still compare myself all the time, like beautiful people appear on my dashboard and i’m like ‘damn you perfect people’ but then i remember a good portion of those people feel the same way i do about myself, maybe not to the same degree but they still dislike stuff about themselves and it just makes me realize that everyone has good and bad points and its better to love the good and accept the bad.

PinkyG said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I grew up with awful self-esteem. I’ve been overweight my entire life (and I have successfully dropped 13 pounds!) and I have had a horrible image of myself. I used to bring up my self esteem by writing things I really liked about myself on my mirror – one for every negative thought I had. It really helps you see your inner and outer qualities. You should never compare yourself to magazine models because they are all photoshopped so that we girls/women get the idea in our heads that we need to look like them to be beautiful. That is not even close to true. I think every female in this world puts themselves down because of one thing or another. Only we see our flaws. If there is a guy who is judging you for your outside, he isn’t even worth talking to you or even knowing your name. Don’t let someone else’s teasing or negative comments put you down either because that is a train that you don’t need to purchase a ticket for. Please don’t feel like you have to look like someone else because you look like you for a reason. One day, you’ll look in the mirror and think “Damn! Who’s that sexy beast? Oh, hey, it’s me!” Oh, and if you think you need to change anything about yourself – remember to only do it for yourself and no one else because in the end, it is only your happiness that matters.

sugary said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I greatly appreciate it :) I’m trying

PinkyG said 10 years, 6 months ago:

@Sugary – Feel free to contact me if you ever want to chat. =)

Unknown said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Although we all appreciate things (people and objects) that are good looking, it isn’t the only thing that’s important. Sometimes, it isn’t that important at all. For example, if good looks were all that mattered in the world of business, then Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg wouldn’t have reached the position where they are today.

Having good looks isn’t an ingredient for a successful, fulfilled life. Sure, you may not be as attractive as someone else, but that has no bearing on whether you’ll be successful and fulfilled in your life. What matters far more is your personality and your levels of self-confidence. Without those, then you will never view yourself as worthy of love and attention.

What’s more, even if people think you are good-looking, it won’t matter if you don’t have a strong sense of self-esteem. Their compliments and positive opinions will just bounce off you. In order to view yourself as attractive, even if others think you aren’t, you need to develop self-confidence.

Feeling attractive or unattractive is based from within. If you wish to look at yourself in the mirror and say that you’re attractive, you need to develop the self-confidence beforehand in order to truly feel it.

Alicia said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Same here! i look into the mirror every morning and want to smash it into a million pieces. What’s worse is that i’m a perfectionist. How ironic is that? There are, though, many ways to improve our looks. Accessorize, do a little bit of makeup, play around with hairstyles, wear clothes that compliment ur shape, take good care of ur skin, and most importantly, work out regularly. If you’re not born with a good face, work out enough to get a good body shape.

Deleted User said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Hello, I feel the same way about myself all the time.
Of course, when you see yourself, you immediately notice all the imperfections, but surely you have some nice features as well that you like.
For example, you might like your eyes. If you have great eyes, you could always wear makeup that accentuates your eyes, so other people notice them more than the features that you think are ‘ugly’.

Even though you don’t find yourself attractive, I’m sure there are people who find the way you look attractive. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Even if you wish that you look like those girls on the cover of magazines, there may be people who wish the girls on the cover of magazines look like you.

Elliot said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I’m not even a girl but what the hell…

I had awful self-esteem growing up, social anxiety and depression too. This may sound lame but it really helped me to surround myself with people that made me feel good.
Also, doing things that makes you happy actually boosts your confidence! So if playing guitar, drawing, walking your dog or twerking your booty makes you happy then just do that!

To sound even more lame, I think the only thing that can make a person ugly is if they’re plain rude and cruel to people around them. Focus on your good abilities and remember that the models on tumblr & in the magazines are extremely edited pictures. Please do not measure your beauty by a photos’ standards, you gorgeous lady.