keep calm and glitter said 9 years, 9 months ago:

So my cousin’s boyfriend broke up with her a month or two ago and she’s pretty miserable. He was her first love and she lost her V card to him only a little bit before the breakup. As you can assume, she’s heartbroken and the reason I’m bringing this all up now is because their anniversary was Monday. I need help. None of my friends have ever been heartbroken before so I don’t know what to do. She spends a lot of her time crying or reading his notes and he still tortures her cuz he texts and video chats all the time. What would you do to comfort her/What did your friends do for you that helped?

Helping Hand said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Well, my best friend broke up with her boyfriend (they were together for six years!) last month, so I know what you are going through. I guess each person is different and copes with breakups in a different way, so it’s hard to have like a general formula, but here are somethings that I feel work best:

• First of all, it’s important to bear in mind that it is natural for her to feel the pain, and no one should tell her to “stop” feeling it. I know it sounds nonsensical, but we end up doing this kind of instinctively when we see someone we like suffering. We say stuff like “Don’t be sad” or “You shouldn’t be so sad” or stuff like that, and the truth is that the sadness is a natural part of the process of getting over the breakup. So I think it’s better to allow your cousin to just talk about her feelings and put it out… And also remind her that she is sad now, and it’s normal to be sad now, but that it won’t last forever and eventually she will feel better :)

• You can try and distract her with things she likes, but without being pushy.This is really delicate, because it really depends on the person’s personality. Maybe you could invite her to go to the movies, or just hang out at your house… Most of the times, when people are sad and they are just left alone they have more time to just think over sad thoughts, so it’s good if you get her out of the house and doing other stuff. But again, if she is resistant and doesn’t feel like going out, don’t force her, she just needs her space.

• Always remind her that you are by her side and always will be. Sometimes during break ups we feel abandoned and betrayed and alone, so it’s really important that our friends remind us that we are not alone and that they will be there. Maybe she doesn’t feel like opening up to you for instance, but remind her that whenever she wants to she can; or if she just wants someone to laugh with, you’ll be there for that to.

Another thing: I noticed you mentioned she lost her virginity with him recently, and I imagine that must also be a big deal for her. Maybe it would be nice to speak to her about that, emphasising that just because she broke up it doesn’t mean that their relationship wasn’t special, and that that specific moment wasn’t special…

I hope this helps, and I hope her heart heals soon. I’m sure having such a great cousin like you will help a lot! ♥

Keesh said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Helping Hand
I definitely agree with Helping Hand. Don’t tell her to stop, it’s going to hurt; especially since she lost her virginity to him. Letting her cry and work it out is the best thing, just be there for moral support. You don’t have to say anything if you don’t have anything to say, (sometimes the best advice is no advice), just letting her know that you’re there for her will help.

I tried to take my best friend out but all of her favorite places held memories of her ex, so we stayed in. We ordered takeout and had a few girlfriends over & had a slumber party. It might sound immature, but having a few girlfriends over will distract her, even if it’s for a night. At this time it’s okay to have a venting session about bad break-ups; it shows her that has a circle of friends that went through the same thing & can be there to support her through her time. Just don’t make the whole focus on relationships, that won’t help. She’ll know that she isn’t alone & that people love her.

I know that guys cope with relationships in a different way. If you could, try talking to him and letting him know that she may need some space. If there is no possibility of them getting back together then he’s just prolonging the pain, which isn’t fair to her. Remind her that she’s a beautiful person who is loved dearly; & that anyone who gets the privilege to call her his girlfriend, is one lucky person. (but put it in your own sincere words)

I wish you two the best!

lilac Spectrum said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Well I would message her or text her soon and ask her if she wanted to go out. Maybe you both can go see a movie, or eat dinner, or get your nails done. Go shopping! something! Take her out to have fun. don’t let her talk about her relationship. that will just make her sad.