Andi said 10 years, 8 months ago:

A close friend of mine told all of her friends that she was bisexual. My best friend didn’t talk to her for a few days. Everyone else was kind of weirded out by it. I was completely fine. It didn’t bother me at all. I think she saw that I still accepted her and she talked about a dude who was talking smack about gay people with me and how it bothered her. When I came home that night, I told my sister because we’re really close. She says that it’s just a phase. But why does it have to be? If a teen finds out their sexual orientation it doesn’t automatically declare it a phase. It seems like people think only adults can be bi/gay/lesbian. Just because we’re younger doesn’t wean we’re dumb. My father says that I have more sense than a lot of grown-ups have these days.

Phew. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Jade-Leigh.B said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I told my mother I thought I might be Bi. I was so scared of actually being Bi, because of what gets said, but I plucked up the courage to tell her.
She turned around and told me that it was “just a phase that I’d grow out of, and that I couldn’t know for sure because I hadn’t had sex yet.”
I just don’t know what else to say to her about it, because none of my arguments are budging her opinion in the slightest.
I think it’s just that some people are narrow-minded and want people to be just like them so they feel safe and ‘normal’.

JC said 10 years, 8 months ago:

yes unfortunately people still cant except people’s differences. Its sad but make sure that you just continue to be a good friend and show her that there is nothing wrong with her sexual orientation.

snazzle98 said 10 years, 8 months ago:

the best thing to do is not treat her or act any different to her now that she told you to show that it doesn’t change how you see her, and as i’m bi myself there is nothing worse than hearing ignorance like “it’s just a phase”

Rosy Drum said 10 years, 8 months ago:

One of my best friends came out to me as lesbian 2 years ago. Some people would be very weirded out by this but it didn’t bother me at all either. It’s been 2 years and we are still just as close. Just proof that you can maintain a close relationship if you show support.

Jess said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Like the popular Tumblr post says “I like how teenagers are too young to figure out their sexuality unless it’s heterosexual”.

Mei said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I’m lucky enough to be in a group of friends that pretty much all came out together as bi/gay to each other. It was pretty incredible. But, honestly… Don’t let your parents tell you it’s just a phase. Let them know you’re angered by the fact that they just blew you off like that. I haven’t come out to my parents, but all of my friends have. Their parents were really cool and chill about it. My gay friend’s mother was actually a little happy about it because she could ask him to do her hair (xD). It’s also possible they said it was “just a phase,” to comfort you because they sensed you were scared about it. But you need to bring it up with them. Show you’re not okay with the way they blew you off and be firm. Act confident. It’s not just a phase- they may say that because most people who are Bi must experiment first and then figure out if they prefer one gender over another. But that’s not always the case. People are just real narrow-minded. You can even start thinking/talk about big issues like marriage equality and abuse/bullying towards the non-heterosexual to show your parents that you’re totally serious.
And about your friend. talk to her about it and make sure it’s clear that the ones that don’t accept her, don’t matter. Assure her that you don’t give a damn. Over all, support her for the time being. Stick with her, by her side because she’s probably feeling like a wounded animal right now. Just make sure she still feels at least a little safe when she’s around you, and that she can trust. After the situation seems stable, you can deal with the others any way you see fit. It’ll probably work out pretty well in the end, as long as you appear outwardly indifferent about her sexuality. Others will catch your drift.

Bel said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I honestly think its their upbringing. They were taught that it’s a phase, or it’s not natural, etc. But as you see now homosexuality is becoming more accepted around the world. They think they are right, so do we (i’m gay btw) right now you just have to make the best out of it. My mum also says its a phase, but I know it’s not.

Aisha said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I agree with @Bel that they won’t be as open due to having a nuclear family was the norm for them. They may be in denial, and they may think that you are just too young to make certain decision because everyone makes bad decisions, they just want you to be sure because they also know how gay people get treated now and it’s not as nice as it should be. You’ve got to understand that for some people it was a phase and they just want you to be sure.