OnlyConnect said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I just joined the BlahTherapy community today so please forgive me if I inadvertently commit any blunders or breaches of etiquette.

First, a little background. I feel completely overwhelmed by life. I have no friends, no job, no prospects, no energy, no hope, no future. I’ve never even been on a date, let alone had a girflriend or wife, so I’ve never known love or even had my first kiss – and, at my age, there’s not much likelihood of it ever happening. Darkness is descending all around me. I don’t want to live but I don’t want to die. This sense of ennui and despair was not triggered by some recent event; it’s been pretty much a constant in my life. It’s deepened and intensified with each passing year.

As difficult as it is for me to express my feelings, I feel like I need to talk to someone. But who? (Or is it whom?) My family all live many, many miles away and they have enough to worry about without me dumping my existential anguish on them. Besides, I don’t know how well they would react to me revealing the depths of my despair and self-loathing.

As I said, I have no friends to talk to. I can’t afford a psychiatrist, a psychologist or a life coach – and I doubt they would do much good anyway. I need to be able to talk open without fear of being judged or without anyone trying to “treat” me.

I’m sad but not suicidal — at least not yet. So I don’t want to call a suicide hotline — especially if by calling them, I may be preventing someone with a real crisis from getting through. I don’t belong to a church; while I am not anti-religious, I don’t want to talk to someone who is going to tell me that religion is the answer. My problem isn’t that I don’t believe in God; it’s that I don’t believe in myself.

I’ve heard about warmlines but there don’t seem to be any here in North Carolina.

So — does anyone have any ideas of who (or whom) I can talk to? I’m not expecting them to have an answer or a cure. I just need to be able to spill my guts out and have someone affirm my worth as a human being.

Thanks in advance.

Ana said 10 years, 8 months ago:

the first people you should try are your family who are only a phone call away and although you may think they won’t care or are too busy, they are your flesh and blood and you should always give them a try.
and about the church, maybe you should ask for help at a church and if what they feed you is completely god related, then maybe join a church or other organizations to branch out and start making friends. there will always be someone who cares and if all else cares, someone will care in another part of the world and you can find them via the internet through this websites and others like it. and i am always available to talk as well(:
i may be a stranger, but i just don’t like to see anyone hurting. (sry that this sounds like a bullshit line but i’m serious)
best of luck in all that is in your future!(:

Staceylou said 10 years, 8 months ago:

If you can’t find anybody you can always vent to me and I’m sure other users on here will say the same. I may not be able to help but I can be a virtual shoulder to cry on. :)

Ana:

Your concern for others doesn’t come across as BS at all. I appreciate you taking the time to offer a total stranger some much-needed advice.

It’s not that I don’t think my family cares. They do. But they have enough problems of their own to deal with; I don’t want to add to their burden. Besides, I just wouldn’t feel comfortable telling my parents that I am facing an existential crisis of epic proportions. It would only serve to upset them — and that’s the last thing I want to do right now, especially since they are on in years and not exactly in the best of health.

As for reaching out to my local church, again, I would feel kind of weird. My problems are not religious in nature; I’m not sure a priest, no matter how kind or well-meaning, would really understand.

I just wish I had someone to just sit and talk things out with in a relaxed, supportive, non-judgemental environment. I’m just not sure that’s possible.

Thanks again for caring enough to want to help, Ana. I really do appreciate it.

Hey, Stacey.

First of all, thanks for adding me to your circle of friends. I’m deeply touched and honored. My first day on BlahTherapy and already I have a friend.

I really appreciate you offering your (metaphoric) shoulder to lean on. That is incredibly generous of you. But I’d hate to impose on you like that. I’m sure you have better things to do than to listen to me moan on and on. Besides, I’m new to this and wouldn’t know how to go about talking to you — or anyone else — outside the forum.

But just the fact that you were kind enough to offer means an awful lot.

And if there’s ever anything I can do for you, let me know.

MimiSaya said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I understand completely. I joined this site because I feel that I have no friends and no one to talk to. I’m sure someone will be able to connect with you.

Many thanks for the kind thoughts, Mimi. I’ve only been a member for less than a day and I’m already overwhelmed by the show of support from people like Ana, Stacey and yourself.

Unknown said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I’m willing to offer support. My life used to be kind-of similiar to yours, I like to think that no matter how broken or hurt that a heart is, it can always be cured.

At the same time, I would like to be honest in saying, you can only be helped if you want yourself to be helped.

Daniela said 10 years, 8 months ago:

If you’d like to talk to someone, don’t ever hesitate on talking to me. I may be a stranger but I do really care on helping. Sadness shouldn’t be bottled up. It only makes you more sad.

Thanks for the support, Dexter. It’s heartening to see that you were able to break free from the dark grip of despair and uncertainty. Maybe there’s hope for me as well.

And you are absolutely right: When all is said and done, the only one who can help me is myself. I am locked in a prison of my own making — and I alone have the key.

I want to make a change. I just don’t if I have the strength and the courage to do it.

Daniela, thanks for reaching out and extending your hand in friendship. I’m honored to add you to my small but growing circle of friends here on Blah Therapy. (Even though I’ve only been on fro less than two days, I already have more friends on here than I do in real life.) I appreciate your concern and your compassion. Thank you.

DinoRaptor101 said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I do not get it, you are a very intelligent, writer-gifted talented individual and your self preservation to avoid social complications may be an issue that caused loneliness and therefore lead to sorrow.

As to whom you should talk to is are to people who are fond of you, starting with your on-line friends, fans, to real life daily contacts such as people you meet at stores, neighbours and other acquaintances .

OR! You can talk to me! Contact me via Skype: DinoRaptor101

Dusted wings said 10 years, 8 months ago:

It must be tough to be so alone. If you ever need help or to talk to someone who will listen without any judgement then you can always talk to me.
I am sure many here would love to help as well.
:)

Deleted User said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Hello miles-away stranger without a name!

As ‘miley-away’ implicates, I really don’t know anyone you could talk to in person.

However, feel free (I rather feel like ‘you must’, but that would be pushy, no?) to talk to me. And no, you wouldn’t bother me in any way. Really, when I was alone I had no one to talk to and it was terrible. Knowing that someone else is going through the same situation (to say it with a neutral word) keeps me awake at night.
In short: if you want to, feel free to message me. I’d be pleased to help you as much as I can :)

My apologies, DinoRaptor, Dusted Wings and Nele. I’ve been a bit preoccupied — actually, overwhelmed is more like it — this past week so I’m only now able to respond to your posts.

As with the earlier posters, I am deeply gratified that you took the time to reach out to a stranger in pain. I appreciate your generous offers to speak with me. I still feel like it’s an imposition on my part. You probably have your own burdens to shoulder without having me add to them.

On the other hand, I’m feeling lonely enough that i just might take you up on your offers. I don’t know. I’m just kind of confused right now.

I think I’m hoping that somehow someone will say the magic words and all my problems will be solved. I know life doesn’t work that way.