Lizzi said 10 years, 10 months ago:

So i am 22 an i have been looking for a job for 5yrs i have tried everything i asked to voulnteer but they want experience. i tried fast food, walmart,custodian,etc no luck they want expereince. i asked my friends who have jobs but they say figure it out for your self. my younger bros have jobs an cars but not me i got no job an no car. parents wont help me. they threaten to kick me out and joke about prostitution. dad even said it was because of the way i look an i’m ugly an fat so that could also be it. how can i get a job with out experience. i feel like i need to give up. also parents don’t want me join the army. an i owe 10000 in school loans. i guess to all the employers i am a broken doll that no one wants to fix. i feel useless an helpless. i try posting on therapy forums like this but people would make mean comments and saying i am whining an complaining to the point they had me kicked off the site. But i not giving up i don’t care if i have to live homeless ill keep trying no matter what to be heard and hired. an i apologize if i upset or did not follow the rules.

Even if no one replies i got to stay strong.

Deleted User said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I wish there was a simple answer to this – “in the current economical climate” (as the newspapers say) its people like you and I who are really suffering. I heard a radio piece the other day saying that unpaid internships are getting hundreds of applicants for one place. Unfortunately there’s no real solution – just keep trying. Do anything you can to make your CV(resume) stand out – go travelling, start a girl scout troop, learn an instrument. If charities don’t need volunteers – start a charity! Keep trying and don’t give up :) You’ll get there in the end

Brittbutterfly21 said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Maybe you should just look around or something simple. Restaurants, grocery stores may be hiring. You old also try services like babysitting and yard work to earn some money

i have tired restruants an grocery stores they told me they want 6 months experience and i have no car so i dont think i can start a girl scout troop heck i dont even have a license to drive my parents wont take me to get the test they told me to get a job first an they will think about but they let my younger brothers an bought them cars so idk. i wont give up though no way.

Resa said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I definitely can understand how hard it is to find a job. Everybody wants experience, but no one is willing to give it. But have you tried to apply for volunteering at a hospital or medical center? That is where I get my hours in and they want all the free help they can get. Search up some local organizations who accept all volunteers- there are places that aren’t picky, but you have to keep searching.

Oh, and maybe learn another language? It’s a bit time consuming, looks really nice on a resume. Think about your special skills and find what makes you stand out.

Don’t let what other people say get you down. Finding a job takes persistence these days, but you can prove them wrong.

I’d say you need to back up and pick a path. Employers can tell when you are just trying to find something anything and aren’t focused. They want employees that have thought carefully and want to work for them and stay there. Have you thought of going to a career counsellor. Get your interests mapped to a number of possible careers. Just applying to walmart is not going to get you an interesting career. Once you find a passion and an interest then you go for it. You research every possible thing about it… try and talk with people that do this… take some night classes… go back to school… Only you know what you need to do.. You need to spend time thinking about your dreams and goals for your life. Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years… Don’t just say just a job… Focus will help you move in the direction you need to go. You have so many options. Send me an email if you are interested and I can help you work through things.
Gail

Possumpie said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I know the feel </3 Though I haven't been looking for as long as you. My parents wont pay for car lessons for me too! And the government wont give me any money because my parents earn too much.

Keep your head up. Try going to a smaller community. That's where I got my first job. Though I only had it for a month (I had to move). You might get more luck there though, if there is any jobs available.

i graduate from college i cant finish my other degree because i dont qualify for pell grant or loans anymore.i owe 10000. i cant volunteer because they want experience as well and im not allowed to get a job outside my hometown because my parents say so

Thank you all for your comments it boost my confidence and makes me feel better!

Oh I can understand that frustration! I’ve finished my degree and it’s still been really difficult to find something – because they want experience. It’s a vicious circle – you need the experience but unless someone gives you a shot you can’t get that experience… Argh!

I know this won’t help financially but have you thought about choosing the sort of job you’d be really interested in and going to them and offering to work for free? Proposition them, ooze enthusiasm, say you’d be happy to work any hours for a few weeks and if you’re a good worker they might offer you a paid position.

I find it bizarre that places for volunteer ask for experience – they ought to be grateful for the help! @ggshop I love that advice, it’s definitely a lot of food for thought.

BunnyRainbows said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I actually work at a staffing firm. If you’d like, I’d be happy to talk with you about career goals and give you some feedback on your résumé and interviewing skills if you’d like to.

I’d prefer to Skype because its hard to type while laying down. My Skype is BunnyRainbows. Anyone is free to add me if they want to vent or just have job, résumé, etc questions.

Diana said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Even in this economical climate, this is weird. Something’s missing from the picture. What do you have on your CV? Do you have your college degree there? Also, add anything you know, such as computer-related skills, social or personal skills such as teamwork, willingness to learn, pro-activism, critical thinking, availability, whatever you can do really.
There are jobs which don’t require experience. Mostly unqualified work. I’m surprised you haven’t been admitted to any one of those, which is why I assumed it’s something about your resume, something about the way you present yourself.
Also, most volunteering jobs shouldn’t require experience, especially if you’re volunteering in a field you have a college degree in … I suggest next time you get rejected from a volunteering job or from some paid entry-level job, I recommend you ask about it, ask what made them reject you to see if there’s something you’d need to improve on, so you know.
As for looks – they matter to some extent in certain jobs, such as waitress (though even a waitress doesn’t have to look exceptional) but a lot of jobs don’t require great looks.
Also, I really don’t think those jokes about prostitution are constructive or alright in any way …
Best of luck! Hope you find something soon!

Diana said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Oh, about the resume, also add your objectives for the desired positions, what recommends you as the person for the job and why you want the position.

Lizzi said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for the comments