BlahTherapy said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I’m really excited about the amazing community we have here and figure it would be a great idea to do a Secret Santa – but want to know how many would be interested.

I’m still looking into how these things generally work online, but just so you know, I too will be participating and if you sign up, you just may get a gift from BlahTherapy!

But first things first, how many of you would be interested in participating in a BlahTherapy Secret Santa gift exchange?

Criteria for participating (active membership, etc)
Budget?
Deadlines?

Any questions, suggestions, thoughts, all welcome!

Keep in mind that any participants in the secret santa will have to issue their address, but the addresses will NOT be posted publicly and are only for my eyes only and to be shared with your secret santa.

bricheese said 6 years, 10 months ago:

First off I think this is an awesome idea! I would definitely be interested to participate in this.

But some concerns would be not knowing what people like, so I think if people wanted to participate they should either list a few things that they want or just generally what they like just so people have an idea and hopefully will end up with something they will like.

Also I’m not sure how you would regulate it but I think it would be pretty crappy if someone participated but they didn’t get something in return. I know that this has happened to me before and of course it’s about giving but it’s nice to get something in return as well. So I’m not sure how you would keep track of that but I think it’s something to keep in mind.

I think budget should be 10$, that’s kind of the general budget people choose, but that’s just my input on that.

Criteria, well definitely should be a member so they can participate in the forum, but like I said I have no idea how you would know if people just want to receive something and not give something in return but hopefully someone has an idea for that.

Deadline, I would say sometime this month or early December just because Xmas time and Black friday/cyber monday is kind of hectic but maybe there will be better deals I dunno, just my two cents.

redlove96 said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I like this idea too! I really think it would warm people’s hearts and help us remember we aren’t alone. My only question is the security of the members. But I trust you to make that decision. Otherwise I this this is a wonderful idea!

BlahTherapy said 6 years, 10 months ago:

@bricheese63, basically how these usually go is that those who want to participate fill out a form that will be sent to me.

The form will have questions like their username, address, and then to add your basic interests, maybe the type of music they like, shirt size, any allergies (if maybe the person wants to send candy).

I definitely get that full participation is a concern, I wouldn’t like to hear that some people didn’t get presents. Though I’d personally just be excited to send a gift to one of you guys.

I think a good way to make sure genuine users participate is to put an age limit and to make sure the user has been active in the community for a certain amount of days.

Also, I would recommend sending a gift via amazon. You can send a gift to someone without physically handling the product yourself, have them gift wrap it, and add a personal message (where you reveal what your blah username is).

I do think $10 is a bit low though for a budget – I would think around $20 would suffice. Though I most likely will go over that budget.

jelly said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I would be as interested as the day is long, or something. No, really, I would totally be up for this. I’d personally be okay with a $20 budget, but I’d (like you) most likely end up going over that. I think it would be interesting to try for sure, though!

MemorableFriend said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I would be down. But I do think 20$ is a big budget. 10$ makes more sense to me.

I think usually a Secret Santa gift is supposed to just be more about thoughtfulness that actual cash value

Deleted User said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Hey there, I’d like to participate, too… really cool idea :) :) :) !!!

Oh and btw… just a side-note-thingy, as I think this won’t work when you send a present to a stranger. But the funniest thing EVER is called “Trash Secret Santa”! Which does NOT mean you’re giving the other person some trash, though :P . It means you’re not allowed to spend ANY money for the gift… but instead, you have to get creative. Or you just take some real funny stuff you have at home but you don’t need anymore :) . But yeah. That only works if you know your “victim” pretty well, cause you need to know which kind of present they’d think is funny :) .

But anyway… I totally agree with MemorableFriend! Regarding the budget thing as well as… yup, thoughtfullness rulez! :)

And OH! ONE MORE THING! Maybe we should keep in mind that we live all over the world… um… don’t we? So maybe the forwarding costs for the Secret Santa gift will already be more than $10!!! (Or… when you guys were talking about the budget – did you mean the total costs including the gift AND the dispatch?)
And the all-around-the-world-thing could also get important for the deadline! So… early December would be the latest possible date I guess…. considering the parcel will possibly have to make it to the other side of the world before Christmas… ;)

ale_chan94 said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I like the idea of amazon. Not exactly sure how that works but it seems more safe and efficient because I do want to participate but i’m a bit iffy on giving out my address. Anyway, i’d like to negotiate the budget to… $15? (:

bricheese said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I was definitely thinking about using Amazon since shipping isn’t too bad on there, but yeah the point in giving is something that is thoughtful, not the most shiny expensive trinket you can purchase. There should just be a minimum of 10$ perhaps or a range of 10-20.

Or I was just thinking that even if I got a nice letter for someone I think I would appreciate that more then a present from a stranger who doesn’t know me you know? Sending a letter isn’t expensive at all and you can take the time out of your day to make something thoughtful for someone else, and especially now I definitely value getting letters in the mail since it’s sort of a lost art now. Just a thought though. Since to me it just seems like there would be a lot of chaos and confusion with getting actual gifts and I know for me I would have a hard time telling someone what I want because I don’t believe in that but yeah, a letter seems a lot more simple and I’m sure more people would be willing to participate, just an idea though. If not for here, I’m going to start a forum for it on my group Intertwined.

Jane said 6 years, 10 months ago:

what about in between 10 and 20, $15..?
and i dont have any kind of way to use amazon, no credit card or paypal or anything.. maybe there could be an option and you could pick which way is best for you. although sending something far away could be expensive..

integrated yard said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I only just saw this post however if I had seen it earlier, this New Zealand girl would have totally been keen for being in on the Blah Therapy Secret Santa.

Did you guys end up doing it? If so, how did it go? Any thoughts on doing on this year (even though I know its only currently March).

Sandman said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Am I late for the secret santa guys?

Silent Radiance said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@javi-soliz

I’d say you’re a bit late, yeah :P .

Sandman said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@silent-radiance

Aahh, but on the contrary, i’ve arrived just in time. We are in December by the way. Lol, i totally forgot i commented on this. Hey man, since all these people backed out, let’s have our own secret santa. Money limit is unlimited. you can buy or give whatever. How does that sound Silent?

Silent Radiance said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@javi-soliz

That does sound like a nice idea, but I wouldn’t be comfortable giving away my address online, nothing against you of course :) . Unless you want to exchange some kind of online gifts, like ecards or I can make you a picture that your name reminds me of!