Hearmenow said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I have always been interested in psychology, I took a course in high school and frankly it was the only class that really interested me. Also, I’ve always wanted to do something that helps other people, to know that what I do affects someone’s life in a positive way.

However, I’m not really sure what I would like to work with though, or what to study, what I need to study. I would just hate having taken a psych major only to realize that I can’t really do it… I guess what I’m trying to say is that I need some advice.

I’d really appreciate any comments, what you guys are studying.. why you decided to do what you did.

Jess said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I am still very early into my possible psychology related career but I thought maybe I could help.

I’m like you, I enjoyed psychology in high school. I had some mental health problems of my own and in the end psychology was the only course I would still do. Ha.

I originally wanted to study it in University, but then couldn’t and also didn’t want to but I still think I wanted to get into the psych field.

So now I’m doing a TAFE course called Cert IV in Mental Health. If you don’t know what TAFE is, that’s kind of like the equivalent of a community college. It’s like school after high school but it’s classes are specific qualifications, nothing higher than an advanced diploma though.

This certificate isn’t going to get me a job as a psychologist obviously, but it still gives me a little leg up and a door into the field, and also lets me take more advanced courses with higher qualifications, and this path could take my university if I want.

You don’t have to go to uni and be a psychologist/psychiatrist to work in the psychology field and make a difference. Just reading the potential jobs that my Cert IV in Mental Health may qualify me for (even at such a low level) are rehabilitation and support worker, mental health outreach worker, community support worker etc.

If there a place similar to TAFE where you live, you should try that. If will give you a taste of what psychology beyond high school is like and whether it’s for you. You could also do some volunteer work at psychology/mental health related organizations in your area to see what goes on and how things work, and to hear and see first hand what it’s like to have a specific position within the organization. Whether is be psychologist, outreach worker, counselor, working with kids etc.

I hope this helps.

Hearmenow said 10 years, 2 months ago:

@jesuswasrussian Thank you for your insight, it’s good to know that there’s another way into it. Means a lot. I’m definitely checking out the possibilities. I was thinking about maybe taking psychology courses on their own.

And actually, I’m quite positive that psychology is something for me, I just gotta figure out what exactly I want to work with… haha:) You don’t happen to have a list of professions do you?

Just thought I should ask..

Jess said 10 years, 2 months ago:

@maddushe

You’re welcome, glad I could help.

I don’t have any on hand but I did a quick Google search and found pages that may be useful to you.

http://www.psychology.org.au/studentHQ/careers-in-psychology/

- This page has information on specialties in psychology, the major fields.

http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/igs/

- This page has examples of more specific areas you can go into.

http://www.jcu.edu.au/sass/psychology/jcuprd_021141.html

- The page just has a list of psych job that are different to the first two.

There are really endless possibilities. You could work with kids, either abused or behavioural problems, you could work in a normal or psych hospital, you can work in sport, the defense force, you can be a social worker, working with the community, working with the police, you can even go into advertising. There’s so much psychology in advertising it’s not funny.

I hope this helps. I’m sure you can find some good resources by Google as well, you will have different results than mine because of our different locations. :)