Jess said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I’ve recently been given a job as a peer support worker which means I get to work with those recovering from mental illness. It is such an amazing opportunity and will also boost my experience and my resume. Unfortunately to company is highly stigmatised. All the workers have suffered a mental illness and I am worried that it could cause me to be less competitive when I try to find jobs or apply for postgraduate opportunities due to this. What are your thoughts?

Deleted User said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Hey Jess,
Congrats on your new job!!!!
I can understand your worries but I’m just wondering why have all the workers suffered a mental illness? I do hope it’s not the job that has caused it,which would mean that the job is a highly unhealthy one and there is obviously not enough support there for the workers. However if it is that they have been hired after suffering a mental illness then that’s highly understandable and very smart. As who know’s how to support someone who is recovering from mental illness better than the person who went through it?
I’m also wondering why the company is highly stigmatised-has it a bad name? Has it got a safe work practise and a good record with it’s clients?
If the only reason is it stigmatised is because it hires people with mental illnesses then you should have no worries as you can explain your case and put it forward how effectively it works if it is the case that it does. If the company has a bad reputation due to health and safety issues then you have to ask yourself if you want to work in an environment like that?
Working with people with mental illness is hard but rewarding, best of luck.