Fearless Sink said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Have you ever thought maybe this isn’t my major?
I’ve always loved psychology, plus i always got told I’m a good listener.

I’m a psychology major, a friend and I were discussing how would we all be counselors. Looking around the room, not to be mean or offensive, but it seemed some shouldn’t be in this major.

Thus, how do we know its right for us?!

Euphoric Melody said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Does helping people make you happy? Some are in it for the money, some just really like helping people. I guess you just need to ask yourself which one you’re in it for yourself. You can be good at what you do even if you don’t really like it and get paid the money- or you can do it because you really like helping people and get joy out of doing good. Ask yourself what you’re in it for and if you don’t find happiness out of it then ask yourself if you’re able to stick with it and help people for the money and not quit because you don’t like the work? Otherwise if you do find happiness out of the line of work then i think you’re already good to go.

gliding_feather said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I think it’s important to remember that not all psychology majors are going to be interested in counseling. I’m a psychology major and I have no interest in it at all, but I absolutely LOVE doing research (which is mainly for students who want to pursue a PhD). I know a ton of psychology majors and nobody so far has the exact same career goals. As for being a good listener, I once had a professor (Clinical Psyc) tell me that they laugh at applications or undergrads that claim that characteristic because they have no idea what it’s like to actively listen and engage for hours on end. Just be sure to explore different options and remember that not everyone in your major is going to have the same career goals as you or your friends.

punky said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I agree with gliding_feather; not everyone in a psych major is interested in counseling or even in grad school. For a lot of people a BA in psych will help give them a boost in a career that isn’t actually related to psychology per se. Management for example.
I’ve known pretty much since I was ten that psychology was the path for me. Not everyone is that lucky but it’s an interesting field and many people are intrigued by it. In some cases people will continue with it and some won’t. It’s really up to them. There’s no point in judging people for their choices.

Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Successful men and women are masters of various fields. Its okay to feel psychology is somewhat lacking in the quest of knowledge. Just find your true calling, it will change multiple times, if your a thinker!!