Caela Ritchie said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I thought I was going really well with my ED recovery.

My family knows about my anxiety and self harm but not about this.

My Gran made the smallest comment about what I was eating and they want to pay me to lose weight. That threw me right back to square one. I feel so shitty and self conscious right now. I just want to disappear.

I’ve been doing better with my body positivity and not when I look at myself all is see is a gross fat ass again.

I’m scared and triggered and worried I might relapse.

I just hate myself so much. I can’t eat. I’m fat, I can’t eat.

Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

What were you eating thou?

MusicIsMyVoice said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Okay, so now that I realize ED doesn’t stand for Erectile Disfunction, I’d like to say fuck them. Its fucking horrible that somebody whose is suppose to be there for you and be family can say something like that. Listen to the people who love you for who you are. Even if that’s easier than it sounds

Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

What if she was being like a genuine caring granma, saying dont eat that chocate cake, its not good for you, youll put weight? Do you think grandmas even know what ED is lol
Would you tell the granma to go fuck yourself in this context?
Either way Caela, the context doesnt matter, people say things, the truth is your reaction is shocking, how can a random comment put you back to square one, are you saying you are so weak, that words can destroy your resolve?
Is that your grans fault, she might be ignorant?
You are stronger than this, prove it to yourself!

TaeMint said 9 years, 9 months ago:

rhetoric:
ED’s just work that way. Yes, a single comment may trigger relapse.

I do think your grandma didn’t mean it that way :(
Try to think about all the positive things in recovery, how happy you can be.
Be strong and don’t give up hun <3

rinseandrep said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I think it’s good for your recovery to share this problem with your family, and asking them what do you want from them, so they can help you, or at least not make things harder. You already managed to talk about your other problems, so you already went through it and know what it’s like.

To deal with unwanted comments, you first have to tell them to shut it.

Rhetoric, please don’t comment if you don’t have anything truly kind or productive to say

I have struggled with bulimia as well as anorexia. Any small comment about what I look like or what I’m eating I take to heart. I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it

agonyaunt_ky said 9 years, 7 months ago:

first of all congrats with coming so far because i know how hard recovery is, thats the reason you shouldn’t let this small bump ruin all the mountains and hills you’ve overcome to get where you are today, and if you do slip up, you’re only human, and you’re trying, which counts for alot x

erin said 9 years, 7 months ago:

You shouldn’t be so fearful of what people say. If you can’t find something beautiful about yourself or your body, get a better mirror. Look a little closer. Stare a little longer. Whatever made you want to lose weight in such a terrible way should have never happened. Please try to love yourself and your body. There is an entire community here that is here for you, and the vast majority is willing to help you through this.

zard12 said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I’m not sure if your post is mostly the trigger talking, or your general feelings about yourself. The most important thing I’ve found in my recovery has been making changes where the problem starts.
I’ve held food on a pedestal for the past couple of years, making it this overly enjoyable activity, when really, it should be just this thing that helps us live. Can it be enjoyable? Sure. But first I had to practice making food less exciting and less wanted (outside of me being hungry).
If the root of your ED is body image, that needs to change before anything else, and those triggers will seem less and less scary.
Therapy has helped me A LOT. Talking to people that are close to me and telling them about my disorder has also helped a lot. I know it’s scary, and can be embarrassing – but you don’t have to tell them details – all they need to know is that this is what you are going through and that you need their support to make it through.

I hope something in there will be helpful to you.