Riss said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Ever since I was little, I loved to read, and it was that love of reading that fueled my imagination, helping me to create a world of my own that I could escape into whenever things got rough at home. This continues to be my go-to coping method, but I’m curious if anyone else does this too?

Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Imagination is actually real. Our thoughts can manifest within this reality or in alternate ones.
A humans main trait is to be creative with their imagination and the right side of the brain which expresses that :)

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I was the same as you Riss. I was very alone in younger years and didn’t like the reality around me, so I escaped into books and watched new people and new places unfold through the story. My imagination runs wild these days with good and bad things. When life gets too boring I have my own fantasies to keep me occupied

Help Me or Ask for Help said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Defiantly the same way. Sometimes its good, like when I go running I create unrealistic scenarios in my head that keep my occupied, but sometimes those scenarios give me false hope and makes me feel even worse off. Even though I know that my imagination is running wild, I still have that strand of hope, which is enough to keep me from giving up, so totally normal for you to do this.

taylahhxo said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Most nights I’ll lay in bed for hours just thinking of the perfect life. Making up scenarios that get my mind off the real world. However, they do give me a lot of false hope which in the end makes things worse. But while I’m in that wonderful world, it’s wonderful.

Hikari said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Imagination has always been a wy to cope for me, and more often than not I live in dreams rather than reality. To del with my mental problems i even created a companion, who is with me all the time. So no, you’re definitely not the only one who uses fantasy to cope!

Ghostly said 10 years, 4 months ago:

When I’m alone, I do that. When I’m with my friends, I don’t need to. I use my imagination to escape from stress and other unpleasant situations. All the time.

Riss said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I totally didn’t expect this many responses or this many adds to something I started! I find it comforting to know I’m not alone, because I know, personally, that my “fantasy world” is so private that I don’t share it with other people, regardless of how close we are, and then I feel isolated because of it. So it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one.

For those of you who have said it can make things worse sometimes, I can relate. What you dream up is so perfect and ideal, and what you actually have to live with is the opposite. It’s hard to deal with that contrast sometimes.

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I do it too.

Pleun said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I completely understand! Whenever I feel sad I just like to imagine what my future would be like. Lately, I’ve been doing this more and more and it is quite painful to realize that that imagination isn’t real. But I hope that I can make it real someday.

luna said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I always read, listen to music, or write, because it’s my only escape from home. I like to imagine that I’m an author, which is kind of unrealistic, but still, I adore writing.

Pleun said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Same for me! Except I’d like to be a musician!

Bob Marley said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Turn that creativity into some form of art. It is much more rewarding and does the same thing.

Starving is a part of life said 10 years, 3 months ago:

There was a person who had an interesting theory . He said that , in order to cope with all of the bad things that have happened and the infinite possibilities of pain , he used his imagination .

Every time he was going to do something , he would simply imagine all of the most horrible scenarios that could ever happen to him ( his phobias ranking #1 I imagine , and perhaps death #2 ) . He would make it as real as possible , as believable as could be . And apparently it worked . After using this ” technique ” for a while he was numb towards his fears .

I would like to try this , but I lack imagination , so I guess it’s not really possible for me .

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I also use my imagination to escape from reality, and books are a wonderful trigger for this. I can not leave home, so I travel in my mind, usually my dream as a touring musician. I also elaborate fantasy environments like the OP, but I focus on singular events or places.