Deleted User said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Does anyone have any stories about achieving what they’ve wanted or dreamed about? Or how you’re working towards achieving your dreams? Feel free to answer, even if it’s something you’re working towards, it’d be lovely to hear.

Riss said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Definitely! I’d say I’m most happy about the achievements I’ve made professionally.

When I was a junior in college (two years ago), I had a 3.29 GPA, no ambition, and absolutely no experience whatsoever. After realizing that I was the only person stopping me from achieving my dreams, I decided to focus on getting into a Ph.D. program for clinical psych — something I had always told myself I couldn’t do before because I didn’t think I was smart enough. When I made that decision, I knew I was basically starting with nothing and that I would have a lot of work ahead of me. So, I set little goals at first like getting my GPA up, and then an internship and research assistantship soon followed. Now I’ve gotten myself a job, and I’m right on track to getting accepted when I apply to grad schools in a couple years. I’m very proud of myself!

What is your story? @coffeeandmusic

@catonahottinroof Thanks so much for your story, I’m so pleased for you. Congrats on your job and clinical psych sounds absolutely fascinating!

Well, I’m still a student at the moment, I’m starting my second year of A-levels september, and aim to take a gap year before applying to study music at a conservatoire. I’ve been playing double bass almost two years now, took my grade 7 this march. Although I did have 7/8 years with another instrument beforehand that wasn’t right for me. My little brother started learning bass a bit before me and I used to listen to his lessons, which my now bass teacher figured out! And it went from there.I play in a few youth orchestras and with the local choral society sometimes. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a good grade in 8 before I apply; my teacher and I both want my ability to be above the requirement so I’m using the holidays to catch up on practice! I’d really like to be an orchestral musician…

I love hearing these, your story is lovely, I’m happy things are working out for you.

Riss said 9 years, 8 months ago:

@coffeeandmusic, And I’m very happy for you as well! You picked up a new instrument very fast! Did your experience with the previous instrument make it easier, do you think? I wish I could play an instrument. Sadly, it skipped a kid and my younger sister was the one who ended up musically gifted, ahahah.

@catonahottinroof I think it did actually, although there were some technique things that I needed to change, it’s never too late to pick up an instrument though, there are some people who, although it’s harder, pick up an instrument when they’re adults. Is there a specific instrument you’d love to learn?

SomedaysDreamer said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Yes. I thought college was the only way I could make a better life for myself, but that’s just not true.
I dropped out of college after struggling for 3 years and I’m self-employed. I’m learning to be happy and I’m turning my talents into my jobs along the way as well.
I don’t have to worry about college debt, student loans, and I’m less stressed this way. I don’t have to worry about money because I know God never leaves anyone behind. College isn’t the only way to make something of yourself! It’s one way, one path, but far from being the only path there is to achieving your dreams.

Zabriskie said 9 years, 2 months ago:

The constant dream of escaping this small town and the suffocating opinions of the small minded people here haunts me everyday. To hold a book with my own name on it with pages of illustrations made of words. And the faint gleam of happiness. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.