Alex said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I lost my father over a year ago and still think about it on a daily basis. He died from cancer. His family was awful towards me. My parents divorced a year after I was born. My mom was granted full custody. My father and I didn’t have a very close relationship. Towards the end of his life, his wife was very cold towards me thinking my intentions of wanting to see him were for money. I never asked my dad for anything. The day he passed away I drove 7 hours to see him one last time. I walked into his house and the first thing his sister said to me was why are you even here? My response was to see me father and she responded with where were you 10 years ago. 10 years ago I was 13 years old. His other sister let me say good-bye for the last time. Within an hour of leaving I received a phone call that he had passed. That Sunday I went to the funeral there was not one single picture of me up there. What did I do wrong to be treated like that? I often wonder if my dad secret disliked me and that why his family treated me so poorly.

jcantafio said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Your father did not secretly dislike you. Certain people grieve differently and in losing him it made them feel better to take their anger out on you. I lost both my mother and father to cancer at two critical times in my life and I am only 25! Nothing anyone can say will ever truly make it okay. Cherish the fact you went to the funeral and remember everything you can about him. Love those around you like they could be gone the next day. Live, Learn & Love

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Grief does indeed do strange things to people. When my mother died, my aunt changed. I thought she hated me. She raised me; I took a lot of abuse from her. Just now I am realizing that it was not about me. so sorry you went thru this. You did not deserve it. This had to be hard enough without going thru that, too.

Austin H. said 9 years, 11 months ago:

It’s awful that this happened to you, as the other users have said grief changes people and maybe one day they will understand what they did to you and apologize.