maggie said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I was with him for over a year and we had literally the perfect relationship. We were best friends and everything was going so incredibly and I was the happiest i’ve ever been. We legitimately planned a future together. Then one day I looked in his phone and he had texted his ex-girlfriend that he loved her. I confronted him and he said it was a moment of weakness and he had felt abandoned because I had been pushing him away (which was true, I admit). I broke up with him and left and the next week he tried to kill himself. He called me every day and cried and begged, and attempted to kill himself again because he said he didn’t want to live without me. I told him he needed therapy and he started going to therapy and also going to church. It’s been 2 months and every day he tries to make it right, and he’s still in therapy and still going to church every week. He’s taken full responsibility for his actions and swears he will be faithful. He has also proposed to me multiple times. I miss him in my life but I can’t decide if going back to him would be the wrong decision. I have no one to talk to about this so any feedback would really really help. Thanks for reading. Oh and we are 18 and 19 years old, by the way.

Deleted User said 10 years, 6 months ago:

All I can say is that whether he is faithful to you in the long run or not, in the back of your mind you will always be insecure and have that feel of doubt due to what he’s done, so realistically it probably won’t go far unless you’re more than 100% sure you’d be fine.
As for the whole killing himself thing, that just shows he can’t deal or face up to problems when they arise, so do you really want to be putting up with that?

Lovekiller said 10 years, 6 months ago:

You’re young, he’s young. Both of you will find happiness eventually, even if it’s not with each other. Also if someone wants to kill themself, they will do it. Telling people you will kill yourself is normally a sad plea for attention. You’ll find someone who doesn’t have baggage, you still have many years of dating and fun.. no need to date a douchebag now :)

Angel said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Once a cheater, always a cheater. No matter what they will say, if he does it ones, whos to say he wont have another ‘moment of weakness’. His ex is his ex for a reason and why would he still be talking to her if you two have been dating for over a year?! He’s not worth your time. You deserve someone that loves you and only you.

MandaMae said 10 years, 6 months ago:

The fact that he attempted suicide and talked to you about it before hand makes it seem like he’s just trying to make you quilty.
The fact that her proposed is either….
A, trying to get you to believe how serious he is or,
B, trying to make it so you can’t leave him again that easily.

Like everyone before me said, he’s clearly got some emotional baggage going on, and unless you know you want to spend the rest of your life with this person. It’s most likely not worth the effort to try to get over him cheating and be able to fully forgive/trust him 100%. (It likely won’t work anyway).

If he truly cared about you, he wouldn’t have ran to his ex, for any reason, let alone after a few days of you being not so nice to him. He told her her loved her, it’s not like he said she had a nice butt, that’s some serious stuff.
You also can’t compete with history, there is obviously still something there, so even if you tried, she would always be there.

Cut your losses and find someone a little more mature who actually deserves you! :D

Avery Cabret said 10 years, 6 months ago:

This guy has a very crappy way of dealing with problems.
I’m sure you’ve read this already, in the comments posted before mine.

He tried to kill himself because you dumped him for cheating on you?

With this information alone, I’m not sure where to draw the line between mental instability, and manipulation.

But it DOES sound to me as though this would be a HUGE issue in the future, with or without cheating.

All closely-formed relationships have conflicts, from time to time.

What matters, above all else, is how we handle these conflicts.

And like I said, I don’t think this guy has a good handle on how to deal with conflict.

simply me said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Honestly I was once in your shoes. My fiance of 1 year has cheated on me multiple times. I’d leave then he would come running back. But then he went to bootcamp and he changed like hes not the same guy he is respectful, and well something I never see happen I mean if hes doing everything right now i think you should give him a chance!