equestrian27 said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Recently my boyfriend and I broke up. We were together for 4 years and each other’s high school sweethearts. We left things at knowing we still wanted to be together and get married one day but knew for now we needed to learn to be our own person and grow independently for a while. It was a mutual break up but still a very heart breaking one. Now I’m just lost and confused. I know this is for the better. We always wanted to spend some time apart just to really know how much we meant to each other and to really fully learn the value of each other and our relationship. I just feel so lost now that I don’t have my best friend by my side. I don’t really know what to do with myself. I just want to fast forward to when everything doesn’t feel so sad and lonely. I am filled with just aching hope that everything will be okay and we will get back together again but am still so scared at what things will be like if we don’t. Either way I know only time will tell and I know that whatever happens it’s for the best. I just wish that I could predict the future and know how things will end up. I miss him a lot and we both wish we could be together but we both see the necessity of being apart for a little bit as hard as it is. I just hope that one day everything falls into place. I know plenty of high school sweethearts who are now married but took a few months to a few years away from their partner and they said it really put things in perspective and really made things way better for them when they did get back together again. I’m really just hanging onto that and just knowing that we both want to be together again one day. I’m open to eventually dating again but for now I just feel sad, lost, alone, and I just need to learn how to be the best me. I’m single and it’s a time for me to grow as an individual and I can’t help but feeling so lost and not like myself right now.

Deleted User said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Breakups do suck, especially after as long as 4 years. It sounds like you need to take some time to work on yourself, get to where you’re good on your own. It will take time to heal, but once you do, you’ll be in a better place to look back and reassess. I know we’re often told the story of high school sweethearts that stay together until they die, but that is the exception, not the rule. I know it sucks and hurts right now, but you will heal with time.

Silent Crescendo said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I just went through something similar with a boyfriend of 3 years and many years of friendship but it feels much more permanent. I hope things are going well for you. Maybe we could chat about it, sometime? It’d be nice to get some perspective.