Ember said 7 years, 5 months ago:

So there’s this guy that I’ve liked for a while and for a while I think he liked me too. We would talk all the time and he asked me out once (informally and I’m not 100% that he would’ve thought of it as a “date”). But over the summer, we would talk a lot and then I opened up to him about the problems I’ve had with mental illnesses and he of course offered to help me and said I could always come to him if I need to and I accepted his offer but it feels like our friendship has never been the same. And I also told him that I wouldn’t really date someone outside of my religion because I don’t trust that the general public shares my values and standards so I use that as a general rule. But now I feel as though I’ve ruined my chance. I hardly ever get the chance to talk to him because I no longer see him on a daily basis and I feel like I annoy him if I text him too often (this may or may not be true, I’m not 100% on this either). Does anyone have any advice?

rinseandrep said 7 years, 5 months ago:

@flametwin Is he not a follower of your religion?

See him no longer daily because of reasons outside of your control. or have you two been drifting apart?

DJV93 said 7 years, 5 months ago:

I understand religious differences in relationships,or in my case lack there one. You want someone to have the same beliefs as you or someone who accepts your beliefs. If that person doesn’t like or accept that belief,then that relationship has a good chance of failing.you should find out if he accepts your beliefs or has them.

@rinseandrep he is not of the same religion as me. I would like to marry someone in my religion for the sake of my future family but I’m not old enough to see marriage as a possibility so I wouldn’t necessarily let that deter me from a relationship right now. But I got nervous when he started hinting at a relationship and told him that and now I feel like I can’t take it back.

And us not seeing each other daily is beyond my control, our schedules have changed and conflict in a way that that is no longer possible.

@DJV93 Thank you, I should just have a conversation with him about my standards. Perhaps if I at least make my standards clear, I won’t have to worry about his not respecting them and we could move forward from there. But if he choses not to respect my standards and values, I guess that just means he’s not a good choice.