Logseman said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Scanslations are a portmanteau of “scan” and “translation”. It typically refers to Japanese manga being scanned, cleaned from its original Japanese text and translated to English.

While they’re in a legal grey area of sorts, there is a consensus that the scanslations are not in breach of copyright, as long as the manga is not licensed English-speaking countries. While most people go there to read the big-name stuff like Naruto and Bleach with months of advance, others use them to access stuff that would hardly come to the West. Mostly slice-of-life stuff which is not commercial enough to make it here, or niche things like yuri, or… well, smut of all kings.

Examples are sites like MangaFox, MangaPanda and Dynasty Scans.

Were you aware of Scanslations? If so, what mangas do you like to follow on there?

Resa said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I read them every once in a while. There’s so many series that weren’t translated yet so I like that there are sites like that. If I really like a book, I will buy it eventually, but I prefer to look at it for a bit before I do.

I started with them when the first Inuyasha anime series ended and it left me on a cliffhanger. The manga had a continued story with around 600 chapters so I read it from start to finish with scanslations because it would take forever to translate otherwise.

I read scans of Bleach, once Shonen Jump magazines were discontinued here. Now Viz has their own online translations, but I honestly don’t see the point to subscribing because it’s the same as reading scanslations.