Deleted User said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I have grown up my entire life as a christian and have always wondered why SO many Christians are so hypocritical.

It seems like an elite social club for so many instead of being a way of life devoted to believing what the Word of God says and following what God asks of us.

There are homosexuals who are cast out of churches because its a sin and they are damned to hell, all the while the newly divorced couple is welcome with open arms (divorce is ALSO a sin). And talking about the abominations and sins, etc. and putting people down when all we need to be doing while we are on this earth is to simply:

-Not Judge
-Love one another
-Believe that Jesus died for our sins and that we are forgiven
-Accept that nobody is perfect
-and finally….In layman’s terms….understand that life is a pain in the ass for everyone and help each other get through it!

It just saddens me to hear so many people who are Christians who judge, destroy, put others down and the fact that there are so many different sub-sectors of Christianity; each trying to prove the other is wrong and they are right is just so sad.

Anyone else share my same views or care to add anything?

TheLibrarian said 9 years, 10 months ago:

It makes me upset that you have experienced this. People who are so caught up with making themselves look better give other Christians a bad name. Some people I feel flaunt their Christianity and make others feel less because they don’t know God. I really feel that people are so caught up with their physical lives that they neglect to develop their spiritual lives. I also agree wholeheartedly with your point about homosexuals being shunned while divorced couples are accepted. I know a lot of people in the gay community have a hard time talking to Christians because the feel judged. Glad you posted this :)

AlyCee said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I agree. As a christian myself iv’e seen it all and to be honest, it really annoys me when someone will just assume their automatically a “good” person just because their christian. Regardless if they’ve said something rude or put someone down for committing a “sin”. Like it’s extremely hypocritical. But i can’t really say i have a “problem” with Christianity, just the things Christians do.

Why should what other people do affect your own faith and personal relationship with God?

DJ Not Nice said 9 years, 10 months ago:

It doesn’t matter if they’re Christians or not, it’s not like Christians are a different breed or race, they’re humans with a set of beliefs commonly called as a religion, and it’s precisely their humanity that makes them doing these kind of things, related or not to their religion.

naura said 9 years, 10 months ago:

i am not christian, but in researching the exclusiveness of Christians in regarding to LGBTQ, I have found that there is a host of inclusive Christians out there spreading the gospel and love. I am agnostic so I must say I did not like christians at all at one point. my husband says “unfortunately the stupidest are the loudest”. he is a christian but he does not go to church and he is inclusive. his faith has been challenged because of the issues with exclusiveness (even denounced it once to me) but seems like he has found jesus again (and that’s good :) ). have you read authors like sarah bessey and rachel held evans?

I agree completely that this is an issue with humanity, but since the group is titled “Christianity” I thought I would go ahead and address the question to be geared toward them and since I am a practitioner of Christianity, I felt more comfortable.

I definitely do not let the actions of others deter my relationship with God, I am however discouraged at the vast number of people IDENTIFYING as Christians who are incredibly hypocritical by talking about how God loves us and that we all have our flaws, yet when these flaws are brought to light, its as if the people are scum and it’s just absolutely unheard of that someone could be a sinner or addicted in any way shape or form.

I suppose the reality of the situation IS that no matter what religion a person identifies with (or doesn’t identify with), there are going to be hypocrites, heartless people, etc.

I like to think of myself as a pretty well-rounded person. I am no nonsense and definitely stick with facts and figures, but possess the compassion, empathy, and common sense that every one has flaws and goes through struggles that are often hard to overcome and I just wish their were more PEOPLE out there willing to listen, help, and create lasting friendships and relationships.

Mina_B said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Sadly, churches became like institutions. It is no longer like the old times, a group of people share love, care, and blessings provided by our lord Jesus Christ. In every church you find persons “even church leaders” who make wrong decisions with the power given to them by God. They produce laws and banned persons, even if it is not written in the bible “our guiding law”.
We have forgotten how to have a personal relationship with our God. We should pray “speak” and listen “through reading the bible”.
You have a point, a good point