Deleted User said 8 years, 5 months ago:

I’m starting this thread to help people understand what being a christian is. I still see a lot of people who come to church just to ask forgiveness or to ask for something they want. Which is not entirely wrong because God already gave you the things you need so you only have to ask for what you want. But what’s wrong is people just come to church to pray for this kind of gift or that kind of gift.
We can talk to God anytime we want. You don’t have to ask your pastor to pray for you. You have a GENUINE relationship with God.

There are still people who are only Christians inside the church and it should be changed.

Let me know some of your thoughts and we can talk about it in this thread.

Niklaus said 8 years, 5 months ago:

So you should make the rules then? You get to decide who can and cannot come and pray in god’s house?

Humanist Hope said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Part of the problem of Christianity is how people conceptualize their god to behave as a magical genie that grants the right wishes.

“Dear god, help me find my keys to get there on time.”
“Dear god, please let my son’s little league team win this season.”
“Dear god, please help me get a find a better job.”

Their god becomes their crutch, their placebo, and their excuse. “If god intends for this to happen, nothing anyone does will change it.” – which is a clear excuse for not putting in effort towards a goal, believing instead that a god will magically bring prosperity without effort.

In the end, no two Christians agree on what Christianity even *is*. There are 41,000 denominations of Christianity and many interpretations of the Abrahamic god and the figure called Jesus (even though that isn’t a proper interpretation of his name). Therefore, there is not, nor can their be any such thing as a “true Christian”, because there is no clear definition of what a “true” Christian is intended to be:

Nonviolent? Jesus whipped men and ran them out of the Temple.
Temperance? Jesus cursed a fig tree for not producing its fruit out of season.
“Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself?” Jesus refused to heal a Canaanite woman’s daughter until the woman compared herself to a dog and this act somehow impressed him. It was not his allegedly divine or helpful nature, but that woman’s obeisance and humiliation of herself that inspired his assistance.

From the most ultra-Orthodox Jew to the most intense Imam to the most pious Christian of whatever denomination, there is no consensus about how a follower of the Abrahamic god ought to conduct themselves. For every law, rule, covenant and commandment that exists, there is a scriptural inconsistency and even blatant contradiction to that precept.

Do you have a point, or did you just start talking and didn’t stop until your fingers started hurting?

Deleted User said 8 years, 5 months ago:

@Niklaus I’m not making rules. What I’m trying to say is that there are people who just come to church and just sit down on a corner waiting for the service to end. What’s the point of going to church if you’re not there for God.

And what I mean’t by “pray for this kind of gift or that kind of gift” are those people who just go to church just so they could ask what they want. How does that look like I’m making the rules?

In these days, there are lots of trouble with people mocking and attacking each other over their beliefs, I’ve been guilty of it myself.

But I encourage the conversation. What’s more important is that people come understand why they and others believe the way they do, and that requires conversation.

You don’t have to be defensive. I have plenty of things to say against religion, but I won’t launch into open attacks and devolve into trolling.

rinseandrep said 8 years, 5 months ago:

@rockerdudezz So, in which way are you a Christian (Catholic?) outside of church?

SJayJay said 8 years, 5 months ago:

honestly I believe in God because I have someone to talk to about my problems. Sometimes it doesnt matter if He solves it or not. I just want someone to talk to who will always be there. But I respect everyones beliefs I wouldnt say im the best catholic either anyway

@blackholehead then let’s have it. Let’s get this “discussion” going instead of you hiding behind your politician answers.

@sjayjay

By saying that you always have someone to talk to, you are saying that you believe in a god because you are lonely.

@theripper

Every discussion that expects to really make any kind of progress has to begin with common ground; if we’re not speaking the same language and reading on the same page, then there’s little to expect as far as having a coherent discussion.

Agreed?

@blackholehead
Are you a politician? You know that whole charade really does not work here. But I must hand it to you, you know how to avoid answering the question.

@theripper

Your distrust is understandable, given how volatile relations often are between theists and atheists, but there is no charade. Only an honest invitation to respectful dialogue.

@blackholehead

There you go assuming again. The fact that you think I’m a christian speaks volume, doesn’t it?

@theripper

Agreed, that was presumptuous on my part. From my position, I do not often hear atheists refer to churches as “god’s house”. So your passive-assertive conversational posture did seem somewhat misleading.